Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

G35 as first car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 as first car

Hello, I'm 17 and probably going to, finally, have my licenses in january 2014. I have been working for more than 2 years to save money for my first car, I'm probably going to have around 18k by the time I get my licenses.

I have searched for lots of cars, and lately I have been thinking of getting a G35 (I prefer, by far, the coupe). I would get a 2005-07 with less than 100k km (60k miles), probably around 80k. It would cost me around 12k. So my question is, how much am I going to spend over a couple years for repairs, maintenance, gas, insurance and other stuff, and would I be able to keep it for let's say 5 years? I heard tires and brakes had to be changed often and tires are very costly. Also keep in mind that I live in Canada, and we get quite a lot of snow at winter so RWD could be a problem.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll only be able to answer a few things, the vets around here will be able to take care of the rest.

A G35 is a great car, but as a first car? Maybe not so much. First, your insurance will basically try to murder you, mainly because you are a first time driver with minimal experience. And secondly because you're driving a "luxury sport coupe." I'm 22, have had no accidents, tickets or any points against my record and my insurance still went up a decent amount.

My mechanic pushed me to get a G35 because of the low maintenance required. Some of the others here may disagree with me but his shop rarely sees a G35 or any Infinitis' come in for serious maintenance work, if the car is taken care of.

A typical tank of gas costs me around 50-60 bucks, dependent of the current prices down here in the US. For my driving this will last between 1-2 weeks, roughly 10 days. I've never been to Canada so I have no idea how your monetary value works but this is way better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee which was close to $100 per fill up.

You could easily keep the car for 5 years plus. It all depends on how the previous owner took care of it and how you do from the day of purchase. Treat her well and you should be happy for the most part.

Think about what you can live with and what you would like to spend over the next few years. Maybe the G35 will work in your budget, only you will know though.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If a G35 is what you really want, go for it. Just make sure to have a good set of winter tires so don't cheap out. My G was slightly lowered and I went through a few sets of tires. Full tank of gas which is $90-$100 gave around 450-480km.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
One thing I do know, if I had a G35 when I was 17, I would have been dead before my 18th birthday. I was a crazy driver, I had two speeds fast and faster. My first car was a 61 Mercury (wrecked), my second car was a 1971 Fiat 850 spider (817cc, 49hp) and I still got in plenty trouble. I then went to a 1964 MGB and still got in trouble. My folks paid "high risk" insurance for years on me. It was the same after I got married. I Wrecked a whole string of cars.

I said all that to say this; If I had a G, I would have spun it off the road at 130 mph and flipped it over and over. I know it. I was not mature enough to handle it.

I'm not saying you are not able to handle it, plenty kids did (my girlfriend had a 1966 Chev SS 396!), but this is something to think about. Besides, they don't get the best mileage either.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks for replies, I would really appreciate if someone who has my age could tell me how much they pay for insurance. I thought it may be around 3000 a year, which is a bit too much.

Also, I know I won't be a crazy driver, of course I'll push it hard sometimes, but most of the time, I know I'll love my car too much to beat it.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by lawao
Thanks for replies, I would really appreciate if someone who has my age could tell me how much they pay for insurance. I thought it may be around 3000 a year, which is a bit too much.

Also, I know I won't be a crazy driver, of course I'll push it hard sometimes, but most of the time, I know I'll love my car too much to beat it.
I'm assuming you'll jump on your parents insurance policy? Just call the provider and ask for a quote on adding a G35 to the policy. Problem solved.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by TheNative
I'm assuming you'll jump on your parents insurance policy? Just call the provider and ask for a quote on adding a G35 to the policy. Problem solved.
I didn't ask them if I could sign in their policy, I don't want them to be the real owner of the car, and if I ever get an accident, it would make them pay more for all of their cars, right?

Old 09-14-2013, 02:36 PM

If you want to save on insurance, get a SEDAN! The rates are much lower for them.

The following users liked this post:
thegreatkwijibo (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
If you want to save on insurance, get a SEDAN! The rates are much lower for them.
Well, as I said on my first post, I like coupe a lot more, so for me to switch to sedan, the rates would have to be a lot lower, at least 500$ / year lower.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 PM
It could be close to that. This is for a Civic

Using these factors, two-door coupes are typically more expensive to insure than a four-door sedan, but this isn’t true all of the time since insurance companies rating systems and vehicle rating classifications do differ.

For an example of the difference in costs, we ran a quick quote for a 30-year-old single male living in Edmond, Okla.,for both a 2012 Honda Civic sedan and coupe. We chose bodily injury liability limits of $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident and $50,000 for property damage liability (50/100/50 coverage) and carrying collision and comprehensive with $500 deductibles each.

The sedan came back with a rate of $1,626 a year and the coupe $1,838, so the coupe in this rate comparison was more expensive by $212 per year.

The differences were seen in higher rates on your bodily injury liability, collision and comprehensive coverages. Comprehensive (coverage that protects against theft) went up the most; this coverage was $144 more a year for the coupe than the sedan.
http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/is-it...-or-coupe.aspx

lawao (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
I bought the G when I was 18 in 06 and was paying close to 400 a month.

Just to add. This was me as a secondary driver on my insurance.

lawao (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by TIAN
I bought the G when I was 18 in 06 and was paying close to 400 a month.

Just to add. This was me as a secondary driver on my insurance.
400 / month, that means 4800 a year, and as a secondary driver? Is it even possible?

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 AM
I didn't ask them if I could sign in their policy, I don't want them to be the real owner of the car, and if I ever get an accident, it would make them pay more for all of their cars, right?
1.If your name is on the title, the loan and on the Registration, you own the car...not the policy holder.

2. Don't get in an accident and you're good to go.

lawao (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
I pay ~120$ per month for the '06 coupe Sport (they don't know the sport part) at 20. When I had my first Honda 4 dr I paid ~135$ per month. This is for FULL COVERAGE.

Don't be a cheap *** and get "Liability." My uncle had this on his brand new Chevy SS and when It was stolen he was left SOL.

lawao (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I pay ~120$ per month for the '06 coupe Sport (they don't know the sport part) at 20. When I had my first Honda 4 dr I paid ~135$ per month. This is for FULL COVERAGE.

Don't be a cheap *** and get "Liability." My uncle had this on his brand new Chevy SS and when It was stolen he was left SOL.
Where I live, I've never seen a car stolen, unless the driver is dumb and let the keys in the car.
Also, would there be a big difference of cost if I pick liability,
for example, if I pay 200 / m full coverage, how much would it be for only liability?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 as first car