Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

5AT owners. Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT owners. Any regrets?

Ok, its getting closer and closer day by day now.

I still hesistate, because I don't know if I should get 5AT.

I currently own manual vehicle, and I honestly can't stand
when it comes to bumper to bumper traffic.
I hate it SO badly, that I wish I could get out of the car and walk.
Then again, when you are at drag strip, or just cruising without
traffic, its blast to drive.

Honestly, I think in my scale, 5AT's daily drivability is outweighing
6MT's fun-to-drive factor. but I mean, its nothing decided yet.

This has been such HUGE headache for me for past few days!
Ahhhh.. I need some help from actual owners here.

Any g35 owners want to drop some lines?
anyone gone from 5AT to 6MT? (I honestly hope not. lol )

Old 07-03-2005, 02:40 AM
I went from an 03 AT to an 05 MT. Definitely would not have done it though if the G was my daily driver. Chicago traffic is brutal.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:48 AM
Im getting a g35 AT, I drive to work every morning in traffic at 8 am. So it would suck in a stick shift. Dont even wanna think what driving home at 5pm in chicago traffic. So yea I am getting the AT forget it.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im in socal got the auto cuz I drive in traffic everyday. I came from a manual also and I dont miss it at all. auto is good if you are in a big city, unless you like working your legs out.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I have the 5AT and feel the exact opposite. Wish I got the 6MT if it wasn't for the wife I could be driving one right now.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:58 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
5A/T is fun enough for me....It's not like it's totally boring .

Like you, I hate the traffic thing....it's happens just once and you regret the clutch and shifting etc.

You sacrifice a little performance with the auto, but there's so much anyway so that you hardly notice the difference.

Whatever you buy, good luck and have fun.

C.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have come to realize Autio in a g35 is much different then just some random car in auto, still very fun to drive I don't regret it at all. When I am sitting in traffic every morning and afternoon for an hour I am not missing manual at all

Old 07-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Get the manual. Buying the 5AT is basically like having an elective oorchiectomy - but hey, it's your decision.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:57 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lux.g35
I currently own manual vehicle, and I honestly can't stand
when it comes to bumper to bumper traffic.
I hate it SO badly, that I wish I could get out of the car and walk.
Then again, when you are at drag strip, or just cruising without
traffic, its blast to drive.
How stiff is your current clutch? That has a lot to do with getting tired. The G's clutch is so light that I am yet to get tired of it, even when I'm stuck in South FL traffic for an hour. In fact to me the 6MT is the most fun in traffic. Besides traffic, think whether you want to sacrifice things like talking on the phone yet another time with this car. Last week I took out an 05 5AT for a spin, it felt too sluggish from a stop and I didn't like the lag on the upshifts in manual mode, neither of which I'm experiencing in mine. You'll see people on here that have gone either way, from a 5AT to a 6MT and vice versa. Just test drive both.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:26 AM
I have the AT and no regrets at all. As a daily driver in bumper to bumper traffic, the relaxing drive everyday is more important than the sport aspect of the manual. It would get real old real quick in 15mph traffic not being able to get out of second gear for 40 minutes. If it was not my daily driver, it may be a different story.

When I want to have more of that sport aspect, the manual mode gives me all I need. From a practical standpoint, that does not last very long. There is no way I am driving around in MM for hours at a time. I guess if I am not doing that, I am not missing the MT aspect at all.

BTW, the upshift lag in MM mode can be reduced with Gordgee's GroundingGear.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:28 AM
No regrets at all. In my driveway, there were allready 2 manual cars and 1 auto car, so that is impractical enough. I go to the city pretty much every weekend, and I can honestly say that I would rather get out of the car and push it, than drive a stick in the city.. and its my daily driver, and I cant stand to drive a manual car for a long period of time. So personally, I just could never have my primary car as a manual.

I love the 5AT. Its very nice not having to shift, and just relax and drive after coming from a manual trans. I would love a manual at times, but I think there are far more times where I would prefer to have an auto.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Personally, I am very happy that I got the 5AT. The traffic thing is always one of the major things. I'm not sure if you live in a hilly area but that can sometimes be a bit bothersome as well. And if I run into any emergencies, my gf can always bring the G to me (EMERGENCIES ONLY ^.^). If you're leaning towards just a more convenient and comfortable ride, the 5AT is great and you'll never have to worry about burning out your clutch (which can be thousands of dollars in repairs). And it still packs enough power to keep it real. Especially after driving an old Accord for 5-6 years. lol

foobs

Old 07-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Obsessive Owner
I had a 04 5AT for a year and could not stand having the AT. Dont get me wrong, the AT drives very well and shifts smoothly, but I wanted the fun-to-drive factor of a manual. I went to a 05 6MT and dont regret it one bit. I agree that the 6MT is a bigger pain in bumper to bumper traffic, but where I live, the traffic isn't that horrible.

-Mike

Old 07-03-2005, 05:07 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really dig this 5at. I've had no problems with the auto and its a pretty stout tranny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT owners. Any regrets?