New Toronto Star G35 Article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
New Toronto Star G35 Article

In todays (Mar 17) Wheels Section

Infiniti joins 300 hp sports sedan club

The 2007 Infiniti G35x has more fluid bodywork that emphasizes sophistication over aggression, but the real news is the 306 hp developed from an improved QV-series DOHC V6.

2007 Infiniti G35x
Price: base/as tested $43,390/$46,690
Engine: 3.5 L V6
Fuel consumption: city 12.6, hwy 8.6 L/100 km
Power/torque: 306 hp/268 lb.-ft.

Competition: Mercedes-Benz C350 4MATIC, BMW 335i and 328xi, Audi A4 3.2, Lexus IS 350, Cadillac CTS

What's best: improved interior, engaging dynamics,

What's worst: Clark Kent exterior belies its exuberant personality

What's interesting: Infiniti is breathing down BMW's neck
Nimble, quick 35x closes in on its German rivals

Mar 17, 2007 04:30 AM
Peter Bleakney

Three hundred horsepower and counting.

That seems to be the magic formula for six-cylinder, rear-wheel-drive sport sedans these days. BMW has 300 hp in the benchmark twin-turbo 335i, and the Lexus IS 350 boasts 306.

For 2007, Infiniti has joined the fray with its second-generation G35. The ubiquitous 3.5 L QV-series DOHC V6, which made 280 hp last year (298 with the six-speed manual), has been massaged to kick out 306 ponies, right across the entire G35 model range.

More than just sporting a revised engine, the 2007 Infiniti G35 has undergone a complete makeover. The more fluid bodywork sits atop a stiffened version of the FM (front mid-ship) platform, and inside is an all-new interior that will make the folks at Audi raise an eyebrow.

My tester was the all-wheel-drive G35x, which, with a base price of $43,390, commands a $3,400 premium over the base rear-wheel-drive model.

Infiniti calls its all-wheel-drive setup ATTESA E-TS (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split). Phew. That's a very uneconomical handle for a pretty slick system.

The G35x operates mainly as a rear-drive car. Accelerating from a stop, the system's active electro-magnetic centre clutch splits front to rear torque 25/75, changing to 100 per cent rear-wheel drive once at speed. A rocker switch just aft of the console shifter calls up snow mode, which puts the system into an initial 50/50 torque split and reduces throttle sensitivity. Once under way, it locks in a 25/75 ratio.

Fortunately, the weather co-operated and served up a fresh dumping of snow the night before I picked up the G35x. So I headed for my secret winding back road for some slippery testing.

With the snow mode activated, the Infiniti pulled away cleanly and exhibited fine control – better than when in regular mode. It had little difficulty negotiating the road, but there's no getting away from that rear power bias.

By contrast, an Audi A4 3.2 with Quattro all-wheel drive I took down that same road under similar conditions was more confidence inspiring and considerably less tail-happy. Audi, of course, has been in the AWD business for ages, and while the A4 might be better in extreme weather, it can't match the G35x for feel on the dry stuff.

Those familiar with the BMW 3 Series' mystical blend of fluid balance and supple ride will find the G35x's demeanour surprisingly familiar. Like the 3, this Infiniti offers an intimate rear-drive experience. The steering is precise with a nice meaty feel, and the car responds to inputs with excellent body control.

The structure doesn't feel quite as solid as the BMW, or is the ride as creamy, but it handles rough surfaces better than the Audi A4 and the harsh Acura TL Type-S.

The only available transmission with the all-wheel-drive G35x is a five-speed auto with sport mode and manual override, accessible by moving the shifter to the left gate when in drive.

Like most of these things, you'll find the transmission works just fine on its own. A cool feature is rev matching on downshifts.

The robust 24-valve 3.5-litre V6 now runs up to a 7600 r.p.m. redline (up 1000 revs from last year) thanks in part to 80 per cent new internals, variable valve-timing on both the intake and exhaust, a trick new dual intake system, and equal-length tube headers. Torque peak is 268 lb.-ft. at 5200 r.p.m.

Above 4500 r.p.m. the V6 gets raw and racy – not as smooth as the BMW straight sixes, but certainly exhilarating in the way it launches the sedan forward in a very anti-social fashion.

Infiniti may be chasing BMW dynamically, but aesthetically the G35 follows its own path.

The new curvy bodywork eschews aggression for sophistication, and to these eyes it seems a tad soft looking considering the car's mission. While the BMW 3 and Lexus IS sit on the road with a wedgy and purposeful stance, the G35 lacks a certain toughness, especially in the rear haunches.

Inside, things are considerably more interesting. The all-new interior is a big step up from the last effort, with improved materials, excellent leather seats, and a central LCD screen with a cool angled control panel just below.

The gauge cluster tilts with the steering wheel so the electro-luminescent "fine vision" gauges are always in view. And fine they are. The crisp white numerals and red needles are accented by illuminated violet rings – a colour associated with Japanese royalty.

The sweeping "Washi" aluminum-alloy trim is also a nod to Japanese culture, mimicking the texture of Washi handmade paper. It's a unique and pleasing detail.

In addition to all the expected mod-cons and safety features, my tester was fitted with the $3,300 Premium Package, which added power sliding sunroof, 10-speaker "Studio on Wheels" Bose audio, power tilt and telescoping wheel, Bluetooth communications, one-touch up/down rear windows, Homelink, auto dimming rear view mirror, compass and two-position memory system for driver seat, steering column, outside mirrors and driver entry assist.

The latter is a keyless system that lets you unlock the doors and start the vehicle via the starter button, as long as the key fob/transponder is on your person. It sounds like frippery, but it's a convenience I got used to really quickly.

Trying to play catch-up with the BMW 335i is a thankless task. Yes, the G35x is not quite as integrated, not quite as quick, not quite as solid and not quite as marvelous a driving tool, but at $43,390, it undercuts the Bimmer by $6,510. And all-wheel-drive is not available on the 335i. To get that in a 3 Series, you're looking at the $43,600 230 hp 328xi.

But heck, playing second fiddle ain't so bad. What the G35x does offer is character, a passionate driving experience and a healthy measure of security in inclement weather. Looking out my window at another raging snowstorm, I'm happy for that.

Attached Thumbnails New Toronto Star G35 Article-201652_3.jpg  
Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing Wayne!

I am not exactly sure what he means by this though?

Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck

I take it he means it has a rather plain exterior and an energetic or enthusiast personality Which I don't agree completely with.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll get used to it, if I had a dollar for every time the e92 was called "conservative".

I disagree with him also, but if that's his only complaint you're in good shape. Actually, I find I like conservative but interesting design more and more these days; they seem to age much more gracefully. You almost never see a Benz that looks outdated.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:08 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck

+1. Good article Wayne.

I saw that too Shane.....but I guess if that's a bad as it gets, then you guys have it made in the shade....

I guess they're looking for that more edgy look....Me, I prefer a little more conservatism...... Nissan got it perfect to my mind.

C.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do they compare the G35X sedan to 335i (2wd). Wouldn't a fairer comparison be a 328xi? Oh that's right because if they did the G would win hands down. As usual, no writer wants to be the first to say the G is better than the BMW, all they can say is that it's cheaper.

No offense, Kevin and Ian

Old 03-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I take it he means it has a rather plain exterior and an energetic or enthusiast personality Which I don't agree completely with.
Oh okay. I had no idea if should I agree with him or disagree with him as I had no idea what the heck he meant.

Now that I know, I disagree with him.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Force
Why do they compare the G35X sedan to 335i (2wd). Wouldn't a fairer comparison be a 328xi? Oh that's right because if they did the G would win hands down. As usual, no writer wants to be the first to say the G is better than the BMW, all they can say is that it's cheaper.

No offense, Kevin and Ian
No offense taken. Actually, C&D compared the 328i to the G35, and the 328i won. I think they are crazy, but...

The 335xi will be out later this year.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks Wayne, good find, good share. As you probably have guessed I love this car. I'll take a Clark Kent ( understated on the outside and Super underneath ) any day over Flash with no/little Splash.