Canada Serving Canada.

Guelph Infiniti

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007 | 02:12 PM
|
Angry Guelph Infiniti

So I bought a 2004 g35 Coupe (Automatic) in August that I got the chance to drive the same day it came off the lease. At the time it seemed like a great car in excellent condition brand new tires all that fun. When I went to pick it up I was told the front rotors were replaced as they were in bad condition and it would not have passed the safety test otherwise.

Now a few days ago my car brake fluid light came on and after topping it up it still would not go out. So I gave them a call since that is what the manual said to do anyways. So I was told on the phone it most likely means that I need new brakes and apparently this is common at 40,000km. Well I bought this car at just a little bit above 40,000km and haven't even put 5000km on it.

Well today that was apparently very true as the back pads and rotors need replaced but the front rotors were already replaced previously and the pads are at about 75%. I told them to go ahead with it since I really had no choice as I need a car to drive.

I'm going to try to argue that the backs should have been replaced just like the fronts because I think it's pretty bad to have to replace the brakes after under 5000km of driving. Surely they must have been in just about as bad shape as the fronts. I doubt I'm going to get anywhere with this but I'm defiantly not buying from there anymore.

Old 11-19-2007 | 02:19 PM
I honestly believe they should cover that since most places will cover everything if it is less than 3 monts since you purchased and only 5.000 kms. Let us know if anything comes of it. Did you talk to Kathy the Service Manager, if not I suggest you ask for her.

Old 11-19-2007 | 06:14 PM
|
Well I ended up paying the amount they would not budge on it. Same thing as before it passed the safety (which says brakes were replaced). Brakes are not covered this and that new cars if they had their brakes go this early they would be paying to.

So first car and I already got one dealership I won't be dealing with again I got great luck.

Last edited by InFloW; 11-19-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2007 | 06:21 PM
Ouch $515 for doing the rear pads , that is ridiculous.

Old 11-20-2007 | 06:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate dealings with Guelph, but really, it was a used car - you should have asked to take it to your mechanic and had it inspected before buying it. I know dealers will try to talk you out of it, that's probably a sign to look elsewhere. I've always insisted on being able to take a used car to my mechanic - even when in another city (ie Toronto), I'll schedule time with a muffler joint or something, just 1/2 an hour or so to put it on the hoist and look things over. Unless you look, you will never know what's actually happened to the vehicle...

I've bought my G and my Murano from Guelph and have nothing but good things to say about my experiences there. That said, I haven't had to take my cars in for major repair as I will do brakes myself (even Greg Vann wanted $400+ to do the rear brakes on my 02 Maxima - cost me <$150, with rotors). The G and the Murano haven't needed anything (do I ever love Nissan!!!)

It sounds like you believed that they had done all 4 brakes on your car when you purchased it - after only 5k, it appears to me that that's just not possible. Even though you've paid the bill, do as Wayne suggests and speak with the service mgr, if you haven't already - don't be defensive or aggressive, just explain your situation and why you feel you're not getting treated fairly. Talk to your salesguy, see if he can help. Let them know that you're a potential long term customer and that this has soured your first impression.

Good luck and stay on top of the brakes - the early G's had quite the appetite for brakes.

Last edited by akrus; 11-20-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2007 | 07:38 PM
|
Other than the issue with the brakes out of nowhere I haven't had a single issue with the car. I had no reason to believe otherwise either due to the previous owner, the fact it had not been sitting around it just came off the lease and I got to test drive it the second it came in.

As for the brakes I knew the front rotors were replaced that's what I was told. I found out the pads were replaced as well when they told me the backs needed replaced. So I was not under the impression that they were both replaced but that safety does not specify which brakes were in fact replaced is what I'm getting at.

So it's not a cheap lesson learned but what are you going to do. So I've learned that even if the they're nice and willing are up front about everything don't believe it and assume they're leaving out key points such as the pads on the front also being replaced.

I had already talked to the salesguy and it was along the lines of made your sale I'll sleep fine at night if you don't come here again to purchase a car. I'm going to get in contact with the service manager just to get some answers about some things they'll hopefully answer and I have no reason to believe otherwise due to the fact they were nice when I talked to them. So I might just continue to get it serviced there for convience more than anything.

Old 11-20-2007 | 08:34 PM
thanks for the comeback and good luck.
Make sure you talk to Cathy and stay cool about it. I have had very good results after talking to this lady.
I'm the same as Akrus, I have purchased two vehicles from them and my dealings and service have been very good with them.

Old 11-20-2007 | 08:38 PM
I've had my G in a few times and have been treated fairly. I know, sooner or later I'll have an experiance that will be different. Just the law of averages. The last time I went in they did a three way split of $200 each, dealer, Infiniti and I for a front bar thingy ... compression rod that was 10 000 out of warranty. Much better than Dixie was. I'll probably use them when I need to replace the timing/surpentine belts and a tune up in the future.

Old 05-26-2008 | 10:31 AM
|
My luck continues it seems with this car. Late last week my brakes started sticking so I checked the backs and the rims were covered in rust dust not the usual brake dust. Considering last time I was at the dealership I had the 48,000km maintenance which they did something with the brakes as they charged me for cleaner for them. I can't remember what exactly and I left all the books for the car in the car. So I called the dealership today had them look at it and my back brakes are gone yet again and the calipers need replaced (I assume they wrecked the brakes)

I'm starting to think I have the worst luck ever when it comes to cars I own. Anything that needs fixed is not covered under any warranty and I pay an arm and a leg. I should have put the car under my parents names they seem to have good car karma no issues with any cars even when I drove them.

Just ranting I suppose. I read about people worrying about fuel economy my worry is the fact at my pace I'll be replacing brakes every 3-6 months or about every 7000-10000 km

Old 05-26-2008 | 11:14 AM
Rear pads/rotors should last way longer than 10k kms... My guess is that your calipers were seizing for a while now which caused the premature wear on the rear pads/rotors.

As to the cause of the calipers seizing, I have no idea but I don't think it has something to do with them wrecking the brakes.

Old 05-26-2008 | 12:36 PM
|
I suppose it doesn't matter what caused problems with the calipers as they're a non warranty item anyways. So I'm just going to blame it on me angering the gods with me buying a bunch of expensive new toys in the past bit. They had to knock me down a peg with a car repair body slam.

Old 05-26-2008 | 12:46 PM
I think some bad luck with the calipers... you don't hear of them failing too often.

Old 05-26-2008 | 12:50 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
^ one of the most common failure problems is due to poor cleaning b4 pushing the cylinder back, when changing pads.

Old 05-26-2008 | 05:28 PM
|
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
^ one of the most common failure problems is due to poor cleaning b4 pushing the cylinder back, when changing pads.
Interesting and I guess that explains why they had to order parts since it's I assume not something that fails a whole lot if ever.

I suppose I'll have somewhat of an argument with them about this considering 10,000km ago they were in their replacing the the rotors and pads. Then of course not even 5000km from then they insisted on servicing them and the fronts and finally we're 5000km from then. Who's to say they didn't screw up.

I guess my only issue is I don't know how long it would take before you'd have a caliper failure.

Old 05-27-2008 | 01:54 PM
|
I am happy to report that I ended up having it all covered under warranty. I didn't know but the calipers are covered which they told me on the phone and I brought up the point of them wrecking my brakes. So when I got there to pick it up everything was covered since I had the back brakes done 6 months ago and obviously the calipers caused both of them to get down to metal.

So I am happy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Guelph Infiniti