Canada Serving Canada.

Farewell G...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007 | 07:44 PM
|
Farewell G...

I think I might be selling my G come spring (nobody will pay $10 for this car right now), I have found it to be the most unpractical vehicle to be driving in this horrid city called Winnipeg, and it has only been two weeks with snow on the ground. The car really can't handle well in snow, paint is getting scratched from every angle, no block heater, 2 doors not being found practical... I feel that I don't deserve a car like this, and to keep it in the condition it deserves will drain my bank account.

The cost associated with the ownership of this type of vehicle, for an undergraduate student is quite overwhelming (tuition, gas, insurance, and hopefully next year paying for Law school admission will kill me); will be even worse when I have to leave my lofty paying job for a lower paying internship come spring. If i had the financial means, I would store this car and purchase a winter beater, but I don't think that will be the case anytime. If i somehow manage to move to a city with warmer climate, ah I don't think that will ever happen.

Bye G, you have been a wonderful vehicle; giving me a taste of a really mature car and thanks to everyone here (in particular Rbull, SwivelMan, Gee35X, intgr8r & Garnet Canuck + countless others), you definately make a great and mature community (guess it comes with the G ), not to mention answering and helping me with a bunch of stupid questions.

Thanks for the great short stay you guys, and come the end of January/Febuary, you guys will see some pictures of my new Civic (). I will try to fight the urge of putting on a 7 inch muffler, the largest aluminum bench I can find, and Mugen stickers all over it, but no gurantees .

-Asad

Old 11-29-2007 | 07:59 PM
Traveling Administrator
Sorry to hear you are selling your G Asad, however I completely understand your reasons. Remember though, even when you don't have your G, it doesn't mean you have to stop visiting us here.

What are your thoughts for the next vehicle?

Old 11-29-2007 | 08:29 PM
Old 11-29-2007 | 08:30 PM
You'll be back...and most of us will still be here too!!!!

Old 11-29-2007 | 09:23 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by 35bills
You'll be back...and most of us will still be here too!!!!
yep... hard to kick the 'Driver habit

-Asad, sorry to hear that the G has to go. but it sounds like a well thought out decision.

Old 11-29-2007 | 11:40 PM
Asad thats too bad you have to sell the G but your reasoning makes good sense.
I hope you will still hang around and do post pictures of your new Civic (Even if it has coffee can exhaust, and Mugen stickers all over it )
Wayne

Old 11-30-2007 | 12:57 AM
|
Ha thanks for the responses. Yeah it seems like I am still going to be addicted to Driver, and hopefully will get another G/M down the road again.

I haven't got a new vehicle planned out yet, but preferably one I really don't care much about it, cheap on gas and insurance. The 07 Civic/CSX is coming to mind, pretty carefree vehicle and relatively cheap. I was also considering an 05/06 Audi A4 2.0T, decent on gas and looks are decent, I am just not sure how mechanically stable the new Audis are.

Any idea on how much my vehicle will be worth when I try to sell it? 27-28k is what dealers in Winnipeg are asking right now for base model coupes. Mine has the sport package and the bigger rims package. Also has the winter tires I just bought. 56k Miles though, a bit high against the Gs in the city. I have no lien against the car or any type of loan on it, but would like my next car to be loan free as well.

Old 11-30-2007 | 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear you are leaving the G family, but as the others said, your reasoning is sound. Of course you are welcome to stick around on the board, and I hope you do.

Old 11-30-2007 | 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Ha thanks for the responses. Yeah it seems like I am still going to be addicted to Driver, and hopefully will get another G/M down the road again.

I haven't got a new vehicle planned out yet, but preferably one I really don't care much about it, cheap on gas and insurance. The 07 Civic/CSX is coming to mind, pretty carefree vehicle and relatively cheap. I was also considering an 05/06 Audi A4 2.0T, decent on gas and looks are decent, I am just not sure how mechanically stable the new Audis are.

Any idea on how much my vehicle will be worth when I try to sell it? 27-28k is what dealers in Winnipeg are asking right now for base model coupes. Mine has the sport package and the bigger rims package. Also has the winter tires I just bought. 56k Miles though, a bit high against the Gs in the city. I have no lien against the car or any type of loan on it, but would like my next car to be loan free as well.
sorry to hear about your situation. i just ordered a new car and went through all the hassles of trying to dump my car. here's what i saw...

i've got an 05 coupe with the sport package. no navi. i've got about 38k on the odometer. almost every dealer in toronto was offering me $23,500 for trade-in. yep... $23,500 !! i contacted the apa and found out that the wholesale value on my car was $29,300. looking at the autotrader... cars with my equipment and mileage were going around $32-35k. i was finally able to negotiate $28k for my car on trade-in.

i found that there are a lot of coupes for sale in and around toronto. plus.. with the dollar being strong and people purchasing used from the states.. these cars are just getting hammered on values up here.

hope my info helped and everything works out for u.

Old 11-30-2007 | 11:06 AM
as you are an undergrad i certainly agree that buying and maintaining a G would be difficult (especially in the 'peg). infiniti doesn't normally market to students, rather to people with disposable income.

good luck with a succesful sale and purchase of a more sensible vehicle. an '07 civic would be a good choice for trouble-free operation. i owned one as a student, and it was the most reliable & economical car i've ever owned. every student should have to drive a civic! the audi you mention would likely be similar to a G in terms of ownership costs, again not practical for you...

Last edited by canucklehead; 11-30-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2007 | 11:31 AM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Sorry to hear that you'll give up the G, Asad, but as Shane has said, please stop in here and let us know how things are going....You know we'd love to hear from you....

C.

Old 11-30-2007 | 06:13 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Sorry to hear about that Asad. You seem to have considered your decision carefully. We didn't mind your questions at all and were glad to help.

Good luck with a Civic or whatever else you choose.

Old 12-01-2007 | 04:09 PM
|
Wow, seems like I will lose 1/3 of what I paid for the car if that is what they are offering on an 05 coupe... It will be a very sad day when I go to the Honda/Acura dealership, and they let me know that I have to put cash on top of my trade in to buy a Civic, lol.

There are very few cars that got my attention like the G, ever since I walked into the Infiniti showroom ready to buy an I35 a year ago, I knew i wanted a G35 Coupe instead. Now that I have the car I always wanted, it really does suck that I have to let it go. It still get stares, but the impracticality of the vehicle really sucks, especially in a city such as Winnipeg (6 months winter/ 6 months construction). I also undermined how much gas this car takes. I was hoping to get a new car/down payment on a house by the time I graduate (was saving $600/month prior to the G), but since the G came it has been around $100-200/month.

I had an Accord before the G, damn reliable, so I am leaning toward Honda. Only thing that ever went wrong with it was that the alternator failed once, and the battery died (it had a Nissan battery for 4 years, haha). So far with the G I have counted about 6 problems and is 4 years newer than the Accord.

Only thing is, I just drove my dad's accord a while ago, and the car I used to think was so powerful (17 year old with a 200 HP V6... when I got it), sounds so weak and powerless, especially waiting for the VTEC to kick in haha. Will be a difficult transition into a 140HP Civic...

One thing I can look forward to is when I graduate and am sitting in a shiny new Porsche 911 (I can wish, haha).

Will keep you guys posted on the G and my next car, I heard the new Civics have MP3 decks, that is +1 over my G already, haha.

Old 12-01-2007 | 06:09 PM
|