Canada Serving Canada.

Summer GDriver meet - Cape Breton

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Looks like I've got some catching up to do in this thread when I get home tonight.

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier, Anissa's Grandmother lives in Cape Breton (Englishtown to be exact) and I have never met her before. I definitely want to stop along the way and meet her and spend a little time with her. Of course I don't expect you guys to wait, so I will have to catch up to you all. I just wouldn't want to be in the neighbourhood and not stop and meet her. Plus, she hasn't seen Ava since last summer.

Yeah, c'mon stay up with the thread will you Shane! You can't let your day job get in the way!

You could not pass up that Englishtown stop. It's only a couple of kms off the trail and I suspect we'll be looping back and forth a few times anyhow.

Give us some input on accomodations since you did a nice job of QC last year. I mentioned a couple of suggestions earlier in the thread, one of which was a choice of yours too.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm getting confused.
Are we leaving St John/Rothesay for the Cruise on the 28th, or are we Barbequing at Shanes on the 28th then leaving for the Cruise Sunday morning the 29th.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I'm getting confused.
Are we leaving St John/Rothesay for the Cruise on the 28th, or are we Barbequing at Shanes on the 28th then leaving for the Cruise Sunday morning the 29th.
My thoughts.....

For us.... travel Thur & Fri.
- we'd get to St John/Rothesay Fri night.
- Have the full day, 28th in St John/Rothesay c/w Shane's BBQ/Lobsterfest.
- Start the CB cruise 29th am.

We don't want to cut your time short though Wayne...
It's OK with us if you want to strike out a day or two sooner for extra time in St.John

Last edited by InTgr8r; 03-11-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
My thoughts.....

For us.... travel Thur & Fri.
- we'd get to St John/Rothesay Fri night.
- Have the full day, 28th in St John/Rothesay c/w Shane's BBQ/Lobsterfest.
- Start the CB cruise 29th am.

We don't want to cut your time short though Wayne...
It's OK with us if you want to strike out a day or two sooner for extra time in St.John
Okay, thanks Ian, thats what I thought with the day at Shanes and leaving on the CB cruise on the 29th. As I said earlier we have not spent any time in St John before so we will probably arrive a day or two earlier.

We would love to enjoy some of Deane's BBQ Delights but we didn't want to cut the Cape Breton trip short so we will probably hang there an extra day and leave early Friday morning for home.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
^ OK sounds good.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Yeah, Scott Macaulay owns Cape Breton Resorts. I used to do a lot of trade with his company for years in my last job. H and I have been to the resorts Dundee and Inverary numerous times gratis but never made it to Glengoram. Depending on our timeline etc I suggest we consider Inverary and Glengoram on separate nights. Lovely locations.
Deane, I am really liking the look of the Glenghorm place. It's right on the water, looks like a very nice place and has reasonable rates. I like the idea of having our own cottages too. Inverary looks very nice as well. I'd be fine with either of those places.......or both.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
^+1 looks great to me as well

Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Rated M

Deane, I am really liking the look of the Glenghorm place. It's right on the water, looks like a very nice place and has reasonable rates. I like the idea of having our own cottages too. Inverary looks very nice as well. I'd be fine with either of those places.......or both.

I like the look of Glenghorm too. We've not been there before.

Inverary is more expensive. It's a large facility right on the water with lovely vistas too. It has a casual cafe right beside the water, a large dining area with different sections and a pub with live music. They have bikes, paddleboats, tennis courts etc.

Since I think we're talking 4 nights our vote is to change it up 2 nights at one place and two at another. If the group agrees maybe we can do some more research for more options. We're in for Glenghorm as one stop.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
^ Sounds good Deane. The Highland Heights Inn that I posted earlier in the thread has a decent fall deal that includes dinner and breakfast for two plus a bottle of wine.......maybe they've got a similiar package deal available for the summer months.

http://www.highlandheightsinn.ca/packages.html

Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
K and I just checked them out and they look great. Sounds like an idea to stay in a couple places along the way.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
I like the idea of 2&2...
That way were not packing & moving every day

Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
^^+1 for 2+2

Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Deane & Shane; While you're thinking about Hotels.....
We'd appreciate recommendations for St John & Halifax as well.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Deane & Shane; While you're thinking about Hotels.....
We'd appreciate recommendations for St John & Halifax as well.

Thanks
Ian we stayed at the Prince George Hotel when we were in Halifax. It was within walking distance of the waterfront and right Downtown. It had UG Parking. We liked the location.
http://www.princegeorgehotel.com/

In St John we just stayed in an Econo Lodge since we found it in the rain and fog. It was nothing special, just a roof over our heads, it was near the Reversing Falls.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-12-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Rated M

^ Sounds good Deane. The Highland Heights Inn that I posted earlier in the thread has a decent fall deal that includes dinner and breakfast for two plus a bottle of wine.......maybe they've got a similiar package deal available for the summer months.

http://www.highlandheightsinn.ca/packages.html
Interesting. Highlands Heights used to be owned by Cape Breton Resorts. the one consideration is that property is off the beaten track(not on the Cabot Trail) and is less convenient as far as a home base.

Have a look at this and give me some feedback.

https://www.capebretonresorts.com/bo...age.asp?id=100

The Island Explorer - 2008

This four night package includes accommodations a three of our resorts on the Island that gives you the opportunity to experience everything from the Bell Museum, golf at Bell Bay to Fortress of Louisbourg and Dundee Resort.
Package inlcudes:
2 nights at Ceilidh Country Lodge
1 night at Glenghorm Beach Resort
1 night at Dundee Resort
2 Cape Breton Island Explorer t-shirts

NOTE: this package includes accommodations only. Each property can provide info on costs & locations of activities.

July 1 - Oct 31 only

It is 3 different properties over the 3 nights and may be worth a look. It would be convenient for our travel plans with perhaps the first night at Dundee enroute to the Trail or the last night with a shorter drive home. Facilities can be booked however we want. It is a very nice facility and has a great golf course/new clubhouse on the property. (no, I won't be golfing ) The Ceilidh Country Lodge is in centrally located Baddeck and across the street from Inverary (access to those facilities/dining/water). I have stayed at Ceilidh and it is a standard motel facility. At Glenghorm they want an upgrade of $29 for the rustic cottages.

They don't have the rates set yet for the low season days we're planning. I called for information and the person I need to speak to is out until Monday. If there is interest in this plan I will pursue trying to use my contacts to see if we can work out any kind of deal or flexibility with the rooms/cottages.

I have a few other suggestions I'll provide staying on the 2/2 theme if there isn't interest in this package above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Summer GDriver meet - Cape Breton