Summer GDriver meet - Cape Breton

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Good stuff Wayne.
Anyone heard from Brian lately?
It be nice to know what he's thinking....
I was wondering the same thing, so I just sent our cruise buddy a PM and asked that he check it out.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sound great Wayne. Earlier in the thread I asked and Shane seemed to think Brian may be in Jamaica now. He had not logged on since the 7th. Thanks for sending the note to Brian.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Off topic question for Shane, do you ever go to Sessions Cafe & Pub in Rothesay. I have a couple of friends who have sang there. They both have Cape Breton roots and have a few CDs out. They were telling me this yesterday. They call themselves Madviolet.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-19-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Rated M

On the subject of music and our Nova Scotia trip go here and click "to listen to this song" link & "download midi" on th second link. Maybe we'll hit somewhere and hear it live.

http://www.songsforteaching.com/cana...novascotia.htm

http://www.contemplator.com/canaus/novascot.html

Written just after the First World War, this is a song about being prepared to defend our country

The sun was setting in the west
The birds were singing on every tree
All nature seemed inclined to rest
But still there was no rest for me

Farewell Nova Scotia
The sea-bound coast
Let your mountains dark and dreary be
For when I am far away
On your briny ocean tossed
Will you ever heave a sigh
Or a wish for me

I grieve to leave my native land
I grieve to leave my comrades all
And my parents whom I held so dear
And the bonny, bonny lassie
That I do adore

The drums they do beat
And the wars do alarm
The Captain calls, I must obey
So farewell, farewell
To my Nova Scotia home
For it's early in the morning
That I'm far, far away

I had three brothers and they are at rest
Their arms are folded on their chests
But a poor, simple sailor just like me
Must be tossed and driven
On the deep, blue sea
here is another link for some NS tunes:

http://www.atlanticartists.com/sounds/sounds.html

Last edited by RBull; 03-20-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Talking about NS music.

The last time we did the trail....
as we were driving up MacKenzie, someone was down at the shore, playing the pipes.
It was absolute magic driving up \this/ with windows down & the pipes in the background!

Last edited by InTgr8r; 03-20-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Okay, spoke to the supervisor at Cape Breton Resorts. This package will be made available on the dates we need June 29, 30 July 1 & 2. It's all still high season which starts June 16. The price is slightly less than posted at $489 or $526 if we want to stay at the Inverary instead of the Ceilidh. Both are basic for the standard rooms, breakfast is available at Ceilidh but full dining rooms etc are at Inverary. (We may be on the road anyhow) The nights at Baddeck have to be consecutive which we would likely want anyhow. Payment is made in full at time of booking but is fully refundable up to 7 days in advance of stay. Any upgrades to rooms/cottages etc anyone wants can be handled at time of booking. H and I would plan to go with the standard rooms.

If we want this package I will make a group reservation and everyone will call my contact at the 1800 number and pay/book on their own.
I suggest we stay at the Dundee the first night, Ingonish the second, loop the trail and the last two nights at Baddeck which is centrally located and slightly closer for the trek off the Island. From Baddeck we can re explore the trail, other parts of CB, whatever the consensus is... Or does anyone have any other ideas on the route?

Questions:

1. yes or no to this package
2. what nights at what locations
3. room choices
4. inverary or ceilidh at Baddeck

EDIT: here's the package again
Crap, I keep forgetting to check this thread. Sorry gents. Deane, thanks for checking into that deal for us. That sounds great and is totally fine for Anissa and I. We'll just book the standard room like you guys. As far as locations, it really doesn't matter to us.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Off topic question for Shane, do you ever go to Sessions Cafe & Pub in Rothesay. I have a couple of friends who have sang there. They both have Cape Breton roots and have a few CDs out. They were telling me this yesterday. They call themselves Madviolet.
Wayne, I've been to Sessions Cafe on a few occasions. It's a nice internet cafe type of place and always has live music during the weekends. It's only about 3-4 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Madviolet play. Since they are from CB, do they play a celtic type of music?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Wayne, I've been to Sessions Cafe on a few occasions. It's a nice internet cafe type of place and always has live music during the weekends. It's only about 3-4 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Madviolet play. Since they are from CB, do they play a celtic type of music?
Shane this is them: http://www.madviolet.com/ Both girls are around your age. Brenley is from Kincardine I have known her all her life and her dad is from Cape Breton. Lisa is from Cape Breton. They sing and play folk/Pop. They play acoustic guitar and fiddle. They are going to let me know when they are playing out your way. They just returned from a couple months in Australia, and have played all over Europe.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Traveling Administrator
Shane this is them: http://www.madviolet.com/ Both girls are around your age. Brenley is from Kincardine I have known her all her life and her dad is from Cape Breton. Lisa is from Cape Breton. They sing and play folk/Pop. They play acoustic guitar and fiddle. They are going to let me know when they are playing out your way. They just returned from a couple months in Australia, and have played all over Europe.
Thanks Wayne, definitely let me know when they are in my neck of the woods again. I listened to the intro song on their website and they sound great. They kinda remind me of the Cranberries.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 03-20-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks Wayne, definitely let me know when they are in my neck of the woods again. I listed to the intro song on their website and they sound great. They kinda remind me of the Cranberries.
They are pretty good Shane and you should hear Lisa on the fiddle, wow I've heard them a few times.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Rated M

Crap, I keep forgetting to check this thread. Sorry gents. Deane, thanks for checking into that deal for us. That sounds great and is totally fine for Anissa and I. We'll just book the standard room like you guys. As far as locations, it really doesn't matter to us.
Great. You're welcome. I'll wait for Brian to respond and go from there.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Talking about NS music.

The last time we did the trail....
as we were driving up MacKenzie, someone was down at the shore, playing the pipes.
It was absolute magic driving up \this/ with windows down & the pipes in the background!

That's pretty cool.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Rated M

They are pretty good Shane and you should hear Lisa on the fiddle, wow I've heard them a few times.
With some real luck maybe they'll be playing when you guys are out there!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
With some real luck maybe they'll be playing when you guys are out there!
I know they will be playing in Cape Breton this summer, they are letting me know.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I know they will be playing in Cape Breton this summer, they are letting me know.
That would be great if they were there at the same time Wayne

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Summer GDriver meet - Cape Breton