Canada Serving Canada.

Auto Show - GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM
It's Showtime**

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Auto Show - GTR

I went to the autoshow in Edmonton on Friday. Saw the GTR and sorry, but this doesn't do it for me. I am not 100% sure what turns me off. Perhaps it is that it looks like an over done modded car. I like clean flowing lines. I am sure it is everything it is cracked up to be but I would not want to own it. This is not a car someone my age should drive. I am not sure if the wheels on this were stock but they looked cheap and poorly finished. Actually, I did not see quality build on much of anything on the exterior of the GTR.

I am sure fanboys will flame away but it did nothing for me. I liked the Audi S5 and the new M3. The new CTS although nice at first glance, up close this car when loaded does not match the quality of what it competes against. When you shut the doors, if you close your eyes, you could mistake the sound for a Malibu door closing. And Cadillac paint has so much orange peel in it, I would be embarassed to drive it. GM has some of the worst paint I have seen on a new car.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Interesting comments Mark. I can't wait to see the GT-R myself in person, but god knows when that will be. Heck, I haven't even seen a G37 in person yet.

I agree about the S5, that's one sexy car.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:09 PM
BMC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telegramsam
I went to the autoshow in Edmonton on Friday. Saw the GTR and sorry, but this doesn't do it for me. I am not 100% sure what turns me off. Perhaps it is that it looks like an over done modded car.
I haven't posted in quite some time, but I'd have to agree about the aesthetics (or lack thereof) of the GTR. This is my opinion only, but the car has far too many jagged lines. It lacks a nice clean smooth look. I've read the auto magazine reviews and have seen some videos on the web so I am impressed with the car from a pure performance standpoint, but I can't say that it's a car I aspire to ever own. Gosh, it even took me a long time to start to like the Bangle-era BMW's (I'm now a fan of the E90/92 body style and even enjoy the look of the 550 and M5) but the GTR outdoes the NISMO 350Z on the ugliness scale. And keep in mind, this is coming from an owner of a 350Z.

Speaking of my non-NISMO Z, it will likely go on sale sometime next month, and then I'm seriously going to have to consider a 335 coupe. For those interested, I'll also be posting (soon) in the marketplace to unload my PIAA Super Rozza's and Pilot Sport A/S rubber.

Insert vomiting sound here.

This is a case where the mods are functional, but the car is just fugly.

Last edited by BMC; 03-02-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have yet to see one in person, but I think its just like the G37, looks good in only a handful of colors. Black is the only GT-R I'm a fan of, also, white looks ok too. Same goes with the G37S for me, IP & OB are the only 2 colors I like.

I will reserve my judgement however until I have seen it in person. If it sells at $50k + MSRP I'd rather have a Porsche, Gallardo or AM Vantage.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm interested in seeing one in person myself. I prefer flowing lines as well which is one of the things that drew me to the G Coupe initially.

OTOH, the GT-R is amazingly distinctive and even at my age I would love to have one, and I'm not far off you in age Mark. Depending on price it has to be a contender for someone looking for a top performing GT/coupe.

Joel, while I agree the GT-R has a lot of jagged lines IMO it looks night and day better than the Nismo Z. The Nismo Z is absolutely fugly and almost laughable as an improved Z.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Joel, while I agree the GT-R has a lot of jagged lines IMO it looks night and day better than the Nismo Z. The Nismo Z is absolutely fugly and almost laughable as an improved Z.
x10000
I can't stand the Nismo Z...
The GT-R is not a sleek beauty queen, but it definitely looks the part for which it is intended.
Price aside.. the P-car womps it's azz in the looks department.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by telegramsam
... I am not sure if the wheels on this were stock but they looked cheap and poorly finished. Actually, I did not see quality build on much of anything on the exterior of the GTR....
funny... i had the same thoughts/comments when i first saw early pics of the car. i'll admit i haven't seen it in person... but i immediately saw a lot of similar parts from my g-coupe to the gtr in the early pics. most evident were the trunk lining, seat-belt guide, switches, cheap plastics, etc. it was obviously done to keep costs down, but it made me wonder about all the nuisances any owner would see.

after owning my car for 3 years.. i hate to say the quality of materials in these vehicles is not up to par to a japanese luxo for this category, imho. they simply lead to all the annoying problems these cars seem to have. ie.. paint chiping on interior plastics, every little motor/actuator failing (windows, door locks, ..), fuel filling problems, radio problems, car not starting, the list goes on and on... when i traded my car in.. i brought my record history along with me. i was a little shocked and embarrassed at how thick my file folder was. it was a good reminder of how many visits i truly had at the dealer over my 3 years with her.

i hate making comments like the one's above on these forums.. because of the fear of fanboy backlash, but it's simply the experience i had with my coupe. although the car drove great and the powertrain felt very reliable, the rest of the car was just mediocre for the amount of money i paid... and the horrible dealer service/attitude just makes it an even bigger slap in the face whenever i needed some work done.

it will be interesting to see how the vehicle holds up in the long run.. but seeing all the crap i went through on my car, i personally would not want to own a gtr out of warranty.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
BMC
Originally Posted by RBull
...while I agree the GT-R has a lot of jagged lines IMO it looks night and day better than the Nismo Z. The Nismo Z is absolutely fugly and almost laughable as an improved Z.
OK, twist my rubber arm. I still find both of them fugly, but the more and more I look at that NISMO Z, hot damn, you're right....the NISMO Z should ashamedly win the fugliness contest. Especially from the rear. I respect the GTR for its performance, but I don't think I'll ever grow to like its appearance. My 2 cents.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 PM
While the GT-R wasn't the prettiest car at the show it's easily one of the most functional and probably the best bang for the buck in the super car category. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one and I'd also be lying if I said that I thought it was ugly. That being said there are a few sport sedan/coupes such as the M3 or IS-F that would probably make much better daily drivers. If only I made a little more money...

Like anyone else at the motor show I had the opportunity to sit in a variety of vehicles. I must say that overall I'm not impressed by a the quality of the interiors on many of the luxury and/or performance models. I've been led to believe that brands such as Lexus and BMW have much higher quality interiors than a typical Infiniti. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I'm not just picking on the two brands mentioned above, nor am I saying Infiniti is any better. I'm coming from an 03 G so trust me, I know plastic. Every vehicle I sat in featured mostly plastic interiors, some with metal trim or wood-type material to spruce things up. The CTS had a fairly impressive interior. The soft material on the dash seemed nice but the car was a little to cramped for my 6'5" tall body.

While it's true that these luxury cars are much nicer than a typical econobox I certainly didn't get the impression they're carved by hand using tools forged in the fires of Mount Doom.

Last edited by Woblin_Goblin; 03-04-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC
OK, twist my rubber arm. I still find both of them fugly, but the more and more I look at that NISMO Z, hot damn, you're right....the NISMO Z should ashamedly win the fugliness contest. Especially from the rear. I respect the GTR for its performance, but I don't think I'll ever grow to like its appearance. My 2 cents.
LOL, I wasn't trying to convince anyone....just add my .02.

I like the GT-R for it's distinctiveness but it's definitely not something I would admire as a work of art. From what we've read it's a bit easier to forgive the looks when considering the function and performance.

The Nismo Z on the other hand.....

Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I was going to go to the auto show then thought why waste my time the GTR was the only thing I wanted to see and I would likely be disapointed. As others stated about looks, I have a friend in Dubi he said they look like crap up close (the interior with all its button and switches looked cool in his opinion) but he said the only time they truly look good is when they are cruising at night.