Canada Serving Canada.

the day after tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008 | 01:21 PM
|
the day after tomorrow...

anyone seen the movie? well get ready to experience it!

the gta mega-storm is coming. i got a buddy in st. catherine's... he just emailed me... he's expecting 50 cm's by tomorrow night

i think we're getting around 40 cm here in the city toronto. i really have no idea where i'm gonna shovel this stuff. the next 36 hours should be interesting. everyone stay safe and keep bundled up.

Old 03-07-2008 | 01:26 PM
Damn, that' got to suck . BTW it's +7 in Edmonton today

Old 03-07-2008 | 02:37 PM
Snow?
In Toronto?

It might rain in Calgary tomorrow, +8 forecast.

Old 03-07-2008 | 03:03 PM
40cm?

I thought it was only 20cm and that is if the snow sticks

Old 03-07-2008 | 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by God|ZIlla168
40cm?
I thought it was only 20cm and that is if the snow sticks
True, however, if the storm shifts north just a little the Niagara Region may get 50cm and TO 40 cm. I hoped to hit TO Sat. eve., we'll see.
Stay safe is right.
BTW just fixed my snowbhrower this morning.

Old 03-07-2008 | 04:17 PM
Yah, Toronto and a lot of other cities have had record breaking snow fall this year! Speaking of where to shovel the snow, they say we are running out of space to put all the snow. I saw an a little article that talks about all the dam salt that we use to get keep roads safe, and where they end up. They showed one case where the city just dumped all the snow somewhere on Eglinton next to a creek, and all that salt combined with snow and ice and other toxic chemicals melting away right into the creek killing the fishes and marine life. I wish they found something else that is cost effective, safe on the environment and doesn't cost rust on cars!

Old 03-07-2008 | 04:22 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
^ I think that's a very good point. Road salt and other chemicals cause havoc to the environment.

OT, that's potentially a mother of a storm. I'm sure you'll never come close to the 95 cms in one day we had in Feb 04. Toronto would be shut down for a month if that happened.

Old 03-07-2008 | 04:46 PM
OMFG 95 cm

Old 03-07-2008 | 04:49 PM
Cccrrrrraaaapppp!!!

We are expecting 40-60CM here in Ottawa. This sucks A$$

Old 03-07-2008 | 04:52 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Prabu
OMFG 95 cm
Yes, and we had 90 km winds too. The drifts were actually quite amazing.

Old 03-07-2008 | 04:56 PM
Yah Niagara, Ottawa, and Montreal are supposed to get a lot more compared to Toronto. I guess if we live in Canada, we really cant complain. I know Montreal the streets are worse cause the clean up is slow. I hope the city doesn't go over their budget for all the clean up.

Old 03-07-2008 | 05:32 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Yah Niagara, Ottawa, and Montreal are supposed to get a lot more compared to Toronto. I guess if we live in Canada, we really cant complain. I know Montreal the streets are worse cause the clean up is slow. I hope the city doesn't go over their budget for all the clean up.
Heavy rain coming here. The last few dribs of snow will be gone.

Old 03-08-2008 | 12:47 AM
well, we've already used up the budget. this weekend will be fun, since they have to give the crews a day off on the weekend.

the mountains of snow are quite something to see, i'll have to take some pics. a couple near my place are a good 75-100 feet tall, and occupy about an acre at the base...

i don't know how much snow to expect, the forecast keeps changing. the worst has been the environment canada warning of up to 50cm. from the sounds of it, i have a feeling the areas to the south and east will be getting it worse.

Old 03-08-2008 | 07:26 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by giddyup69
anyone seen the movie? well get ready to experience it!

the gta mega-storm is coming. i got a buddy in st. catherine's... he just emailed me... he's expecting 50 cm's by tomorrow night

i think we're getting around 40 cm here in the city toronto. i really have no idea where i'm gonna shovel this stuff. the next 36 hours should be interesting. everyone stay safe and keep bundled up.
Holy crap Roman, that's one mother of a storm.

You guys stay safe up there.

Old 03-08-2008 | 09:09 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Beet Juice to melt snow...

....... I wish they found something else that is cost effective, safe on the environment and doesn't cost rust on cars!
Believe it or not.... Beet juice might be the answer.

WTMJ-TV and JSOnline.com
updated 5:42 p.m. ET, Mon., Feb. 11, 2008

With plenty of snow and a shortage of salt, a couple of Wisconsin municipalities are experimenting with beet juice to melt snow and ice on their roads.

MADISON - With plenty of snow and a shortage of salt, a couple of Wisconsin municipalities are experimenting with beet juice to melt snow and ice on their roads. "It works fabulously," said Chris Walsh, operations director for Beloit, which has used the juice for seven years. The city applies a solution of beet juice, saltwater and calcium chloride. The beet juice lowers the brine's freezing point so it works at temperatures where regular saltwater wouldn't be effective. Beet juice also is better for the environment and helps reduce the city's dependence on road salt, which has been hard for many cities to get this season, Walsh said. The beet juice does turn streets a bit brownish red, she said, "but it doesn't stay like that." The solution, called Geomelt, uses a juice byproduct left when sugar has been extracted from sugar beets. It costs about $1.80 per gallon compared to 4 cents a gallon for brine, but Beloit has saved money by using about a third less rock salt, Walsh said. "We're getting much more bang for our buck," she said. Before some storms, city workers use the juice to treat roads so brine and salt are better able to stick. "This is, environmentally, the cutting edge because you're pretreating and keeping the liquid on the street," Beloit city manager Larry Arft said. "It is just incredibly effective." Dane County has been experimenting with its own mix of beet juice extract and brine this winter on some county roads and pavement around county facilities. "At this point, we're just in the testing stages," said Gerald Mandli, Dane County commissioner and director of public works, highway and transportation. Madison also is interested in beet juice, "but we would kind of like to see what other people are doing and gauge their results," said George Dreckmann, of the Madison Streets Division. The juice has appeal because "it doesn't have that chloride effect on the lakes," Dreckmann said. Beloit will have a better idea of the environmental benefit of using less road salt this spring after it tests a city well that has had high levels of saline and salt in the past, Walsh said.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the day after tomorrow...