Canada Serving Canada.

Best method of purchasing wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008 | 11:37 PM
|
Best method of purchasing wheels

I'm in the process of looking for a set of wheels for a A G35. Prices from American distributors are roughly 2600$ USD (Thats a set of 19'' Volk GT-7's), while prices from a Canadian distributor is just over 3300$ CAN for the same set of wheels.

Then I browsed through the marketplace thinking used would be cheaper, found a set of Work VSXX's for 2600$USD, but again I will have to pay shipping, duty, and brokerage.

How have other Canadian owners purchased a set of wheels without paying double what our neighbors to the south pay??

-Sean

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:24 AM
cash money helps in the sale =)

find a local shop .. offer to pay cash .. they should drop the price a bit .. plus if anything goes wrong or if you get a nail in your sidewall of your tire and you need a new tire, the shop will take care of you

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:27 AM
There's a guy in Edmonton selling a set of Volk Racing SF Challenge in Mercury Silver 19x9.5 front and 19x10.5 rear with Hankook Ventus Tires listed on 780 tuners.

Old 03-11-2008 | 02:34 PM
|
Originally Posted by FX'd
There's a guy in Edmonton selling a set of Volk Racing SF Challenge in Mercury Silver 19x9.5 front and 19x10.5 rear with Hankook Ventus Tires listed on 780 tuners.
I saw those lastnight, although I've never been a fan of the SF challanges.
Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 03-11-2008 | 02:41 PM
Do you live close to the border? I've shipped a couple of things to Canadians where they had me ship to NY and then drove over the border and picked them up. Not sure if you have to still declare them when reentering though since my part ended after shipping.

Old 03-11-2008 | 03:12 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Dakkerz
Do you live close to the border? I've shipped a couple of things to Canadians where they had me ship to NY and then drove over the border and picked them up. Not sure if you have to still declare them when reentering though since my part ended after shipping.
^ that's what I did...
Declaring, you will pay taxes buy no duty. (I wouldn't chance any other way)

Old 03-12-2008 | 02:40 PM
|
Im about 7 hours from the border, so I may consider making a trip down there.

Old 03-12-2008 | 06:46 PM
I ordered mine from the US and payed at the boarder it was still cheaper that buying locally. At the boarder it was about $800 for everything (GST, Duty and Brokerage) that was for Volk GT-S with tires they were in the same price range you are looking I found my biggest savings was on the tires. If you had somewhere in Montana to ship them and went and picked them up yourself you would save the brokerage I figured that about $400...but by the time you pay gas down there and back you might as well get them shipped to your door hassel free. Thats 14hrs round trip if you shipped them to sweetgrass and another 1-2hrs if you go to Greatfalls plus the hassel of going through the boarder +/-1hr thats a 16+hr day if you do it all in one day and if you get a hotel $100-150 you just defeated the whole purpose of saving money not mention the $+200 in gas you would likely spend.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 03-12-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2008 | 09:28 PM
|
Thanks Gord, this is Sean by the way. The previous DSM owner like yourself.

Did you ship with USPS? Ive been told they are the most economical.

Old 03-14-2008 | 11:09 PM
the only other thing i can think of is sell your oem's and ship em' from states and have the new one's installed while ur in the states. That way you wouldn't have to declare or pay anything.. unless they could find out somehow?

Kind of seems like a big hassle, so i'm not sure how it'd work exactly

Old 03-15-2008 | 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by martino17_1998
the only other thing I can think of is sell your oem's and ship em' from states and have the new one's installed while ur in the states. That way you wouldn't have to declare or pay anything.. unless they could find out somehow?
Kind of seems like a big hassle, so i'm not sure how it'd work exactly
Very interesting idea. Hmmmm, sell to someone in the States and ship when you put the new ones on. Hasslewise, it would make sense if you were like 3 hrs. from a border. GL

Old 03-15-2008 | 12:25 AM
I just ordered my works from the states and I just have them ship to me because with all the crap of me going to buffalo and pick it up etc and gas these days it would have been too much trouble and the cost to have it ship to me with duty stills end up cheaper.

Old 03-15-2008 | 05:33 AM
i just bought a set of OEM take off rims, realised the seller included a non discounted price on the invoice as well as the actual sale price.. that would probably screw me over at the border.. so I took them out of the boxes and managed to stuff them into the trunk all 4... went thru border... did you buy anything sir, no, how long were you in the US, an hour, what diid you do? returned some stuff I bought the last time. Thank you have a nice day

I do it ALL the time...never paid 1 cent in taxes... so far. btw I am less than an hour from the border, always smooth traffic. I get stuff shipped to the UPS store..over there.

Old 03-15-2008 | 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
i just bought a set of OEM take off rims, realised the seller included a non discounted price on the invoice as well as the actual sale price.. that would probably screw me over at the border.. so I took them out of the boxes and managed to stuff them into the trunk all 4... went thru border... did you buy anything sir, no, how long were you in the US, an hour, what diid you do? returned some stuff I bought the last time. Thank you have a nice day

I do it ALL the time...never paid 1 cent in taxes... so far. btw I am less than an hour from the border, always smooth traffic. I get stuff shipped to the UPS store..over there.
It's risky doing that though.. because for any given reason, they could decide to pull you over for an inspection and if they catch ur lying, ur royally ***********.

I would hate to take that chance personally.

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:47 PM
yeah you see I am seasoned.. LOL this particular time I was risking it coz there were no other cars, basically you have to be totally suspicion free and answer their questions properly and with some enthusiam, they look for any signs to stop you, if you are like me who can lie through your teeth in the face of imminent death LOL then you wouldnt have a problem.

And go when they are really busy they wont have time to deal with you. But yeah usually the stuff I bring can be hdden behind stuff this is probably the only time things have been lying there in the trunk.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best method of purchasing wheels