Canada Serving Canada.

Big Decision on my Hands....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:50 AM
|
Big Decision on my Hands....

I have a big decision to make guys, I want to go back to school to take my G3 & G2 Gas Technician license the problem is with the job I have now I can't get the hours to accommodate the course times. I have the choice to go to a private school in Cambridge the course length is only 5 months and they help you get a job when you are done, my Brother is going to this school in September and I will have to attend the November courses if I decide to go. I was thinking of asking my boss to accommodate me with special hours but all of my co-workers doubt the company will help me out since they will lose an employee in the end.
Then I thought I could go off on a sick leave, my shoulder has been bothering me lately from the accident I had 3 years ago but I don't know how long my doctor will give me off (he's a bit of a *****).
My last option would be to quit my job of 11 years making 55+ G's a year + benefits and getting a part time local job to make ends meet for 5 months. I know this sounds allot to give up but on the other hand I do make an extra $300. a week with DJing and other things plus I am mortgage free and have 1 car payment plus all the other bills. I could also sell one of the 3 vehicles I have now because I won't need 3 ( the G will have to stay), that would free up a little more cash. My Wife does work but she doesn't make that much right now so I wouldn't be able to rely on her too much.
So there is my dilemma I have a tough decision ahead of me. Any ideas as to which route to take? is there any other options that any of you could think of that I haven't covered?

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:07 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
OK.... a few points FWIW.
1. it looks like you're in a good position to make a change.
2. many people have 2-3 careers in their working days. ( I'm on #3 looking at #4)
3. If you've honestly examined where it will lead you & the desire is there;
you need to do it no matter what, otherwise you will look back with regrets.

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:10 AM
Bro in my opinion you make more than enough money at your current job, unless you are really unhappy, I would make the career change. I have friends with a G2 and G3 licence and I wouldn't really say that they are happy with their jobs. Its trade work for one, however they are unionized so that does benefit them. Your also going to have to start from the bottom again and work your way up.

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:14 AM
The best advice I can give you is to....do whatever RBull says! Completely serious here. A few things, though:

- I think there's no harm in asking your boss if he can help you out with the hours
- taking sick leave to go to school seems a little shady to me, unless your current job requires physical work that you truly can't do
- quit & work part time is not too bad an option; how's your savings, can you depend on that, or save some from now until school?
- I think selling any cars you don't need to further you life is a sound decision, take a good example from Christian

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:28 AM
|
Thanks for the info guys.....one BIG thing I left out is my current job is in Vaughaun 170kms round trip a day on the 401, thats the biggest reason for the career change I'm tired if driving that stretch of highway the traffic is crazy now.

Old 08-21-2008 | 01:28 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Some really good points above.

I agree it sounds like you're in fine shape to be able to make a change. If your likelihood of employment is very strong after your course and it is something you really want to do it's a no brainer to me. You've obviously made some good financial decisions earlier in your life and 5 months of being thrifty and creative with making $$ isn't a big price to pay. 170kms round trip doesn't sound too appealing although I know several people around here that do over 200 kms daily.

Sell one of the cars for money, get a p/t job, see if you wife can contribute more. Don't do the sick leave thing unless it's legit. You don't want that possibly getting in the way of securing a job after the course, if you need a reference etc.

Have a back up plan if the course or getting a gas job doesn't pan out. ie can you get your old job back or make your p/t job f/t? Have some emergency funds for a few months.

Old 08-21-2008 | 01:32 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by SwivelMan
The best advice I can give you is to....do whatever RBull says! Completely serious here. A few things, though:

- I think there's no harm in asking your boss if he can help you out with the hours
- taking sick leave to go to school seems a little shady to me, unless your current job requires physical work that you truly can't do
- quit & work part time is not too bad an option; how's your savings, can you depend on that, or save some from now until school?
- I think selling any cars you don't need to further you life is a sound decision, take a good example from Christian
You're too kind. It looks like you've got some great advice here Wayne.

Old 08-21-2008 | 06:27 PM
|
Thanks guys for the imput it seems everyone I talk to is backing me up on my decision. I was doing some more thinking today and I............might just sell the G yes it doesn't make sence to keep the only car I'm making payments on ...but I'll see if I can get around that for now any of the other 2 vehicles will get me by for 5 months its just if I don't get a job qiuck after school is what worries me.

Old 08-21-2008 | 07:20 PM
I say quit your job and go for the course. It doesn't make financial sense to stay at your current job. I ran some quick numbers for you to consider.

1. 2 +/- hours commute daily @ $26/hr (based on 40 hours a week of your current pay) x 5 days week = $260

2. Depreciation - 170 kms @ 0.08 per km x 5 days week = $68

3. Gas - 1.5 tanks = $120 per week

4. Stress and quality family time = priceless

Your approximate cost to work where you are now is $448 a week x 50 weeks a year (assuming you take two weeks off) $22,400 after tax.

GL with your decision.

Old 08-21-2008 | 07:30 PM
|
Originally Posted by Chico
I say quit your job and go for the course. It doesn't make financial sense to stay at your current job. I ran some quick numbers for you to consider.

1. 2 +/- hours commute daily @ $26/hr (based on 40 hours a week of your current pay) x 5 days week = $260

2. Depreciation - 170 kms @ 0.08 per km x 5 days week = $68

3. Gas - 1.5 tanks = $120 per week

4. Stress and quality family time = priceless

Your approximate cost to work where you are now is $448 a week x 50 weeks a year (assuming you take two weeks off) $22,400 after tax.

GL with your decision.
Your pretty close with the numbers chico although I drive a diesel.

Old 08-21-2008 | 09:33 PM
I say quit the job and take the course. With 11 yrs of experience 1) you won't have any trouble finding another job, 2) that's how you climb a ladder -by changing jobs.

Btw is the certificate you're after related to your current job? If so then chances are that your employer will accommodate your situation (i.e. might assist you).

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by G-MAN (CANADA)
Your pretty close with the numbers chico although I drive a diesel.
Very good and valid points above. Just like what Chico and Ian have said, saving 2 hours+ from commuting every day is priceless. I totally support that you should give your new career a try provided that your family will support the change and can afford the short-term instability, since afterall, you will be quiting a stable job will stable income and benefits.

Additionally, I would suggest you to take advantage of your injury to give yourself some time to look around and check out the options that you have on hands, since this is really your benefit(s). Use it, don't waste it!

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:29 PM
I say go with the schooling Roy. Most important thing in life is to be happy with your career. More money helps too. Your commute would be horrible, Karen was doing a 200 km commute/day for 3 days a week for one year and it sure ate up some of her quality time. If I remember correctly you even wrote off your last car on your commute.
If you can swing it and your partner is willing to go along with it I say go for it.

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:31 PM
Get your Gas license!!! My cousin did the same and he's making big $$$ and he's very happy.
All that traveling is not worth the time. Like Wayne and the others have said, quality family time is precious. With your current job,its just not worth it in the long run.
Good luck with your decision.

BTW,,if you decide to dump the G..let me know..I want something from it((Yes I'm a vulture!!!).

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I say go with the schooling Roy. Most important thing in life is to be happy with your career. More money helps too.
+1.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big Decision on my Hands....