Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Tires Info - Great White North

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Nokian Tires

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
They are capable of performing as good as standard snow tires. It depends on the tire make.
Most of the added cost of a performance winter tire is due to providing equal winter tire attributes while providing stiffer sidewalls for handling.
Well, APA says it different. The ratings are little different in Tirerack, but supports this as well. And this makes sense to me that hi-perf winter tires cannot do as good as dedicated winter/snow tires in snow/slush/ice conditions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, the tread-life of Blizzaks got me into thinking again. I searched more on the forum and found most people recommended NOKIANS. Is it Hakkapeliitta R model that best suits G35 coupe? I found Kal Tire carries them.

Last edited by Rossei; 10-22-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Rossei
Well, APA says it different. The ratings are little different in Tirerack, but supports this as well. And this makes sense to me that hi-perf winter tires cannot do as good as dedicated winter/snow tires in snow/slush/ice conditions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, the tread-life of Blizzaks got me into thinking again. I searched more on the forum and found most people recommended NOKIANS. Is it Hakkapeliitta R model that best suits G35 coupe? I found Kal Tire carries them.
You didn't bold the part where I said "It depends on the tire make." I also used the words "Capable of" as opposed to Always.

Meaning, a very good quality performance winter tire can be better in snow/ice/slush than a lesser quality standard winter tire. Lots of people are looking for inexpensive winters which MAY not be as good as a set of LM's.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 10-23-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
You didn't bold the part where I said "It depends on the tire make." I also used the words "Capable of" as opposed to Always.

Meaning, a very good quality performance winter tire can be better in snow/ice/slush than a lesser quality standard winter tire. Lots of people are looking for inexpensive winters which MAY not be as good as a set of LM's.
I knew you would say this as soon as I posted . Anyway, I was not deliberately fighting or something.

So, how would you rate Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3(255/50/17) for G35 Coupe for winter conditions in Southern Ontario? Will they perform as good as any other good (if not excellent) winter tires?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I knew you would say this as soon as I posted . Anyway, I was not deliberately fighting or something.

So, how would you rate Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3(255/50/17) for G35 Coupe for winter conditions in Southern Ontario? Will they perform as good as any other good (if not excellent) winter tires?
No worries. I have never used that tire so I can't say anything about it. Sorry I can't help you there.

I had Bridgestone LM22's on my 07 G35X sedan and they where great. I could very easily drive/plow through 8" fresh snow. They were at about 60% tread left when I bought them from a friends, friend. https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...l-no-deal.html

Now I use Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (non-performance) on my 11 G37S 6MT. They were quite good last winter however it wasn't very snowy around here. Sarnia isn't too much different. I grew up north of Sarnia so I'm familiar with the lake effect weather.

Stopping is where the winter tires come into play. The Mich Xice do a better job of stopping the G than the LM22. The Michelin are a much newer tire design so it's not a fair comparison.

I wouldn't focus too much on what brand you get. It's just great that you are wise enough to get winter tires.
Is your Coupe and 5AT or 6MT?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Mine is 07 G35 with sports suspension and 5AT, I feel like I would be lot more confident with v good winter tires (.i.e. Blizzaks or X-ice). I just don't know if I will have enough with performance winter tires after overnight snowfall.

G35 is my daily drive to work. It's a short drive but I go through everything from local 50 zone to 70, then with a big bend (w/o any banking whatsoever) towards 80 and finally a left turn on highway. There are uphills involved with 10~15% grades as well.

Just confusing myself ...

Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Think about the conditions in which you'll drive them most of the time. If it's generally not that snowy and you can just be a little more careful on snow days, go performance. If it's snowy a lot of the time you may want to go with the so-called 'non-performance'. You may not even notice a huge difference between performance and non-performance snows unless you buy something with super-squishy sidewalls, and that should be easy enough to avoid by reading some reviews.

I run Blizzak WS60s in the winter and they are just okay IMO, particularly not great on ice. If I were buying new now, I'd probably go for the Nokian Hakkas.

Last edited by Swivel; 10-24-2012 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rossei (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Thumbs up Nokian Hakka R

Generally, it doesn't snow everyday in Southwest Ontario; btw we have lake-effects. And I have to drive to work no matter what. The terrible experiences I had in 2010 winter with my G35 are forcing me to go for good winter/snow tires this time.

So, I decided to go with Nokian Hakkapellitta R with probably 225/55R17 size all around. It's $225 for each tire I found in a local dealer (they order it).

Thanks everyone for getting me what I want. I would never know about Nokian Tyres w/o this forum.

The following users liked this post:
Swivel (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Once you get them on and try them out, be sure to post up your thoughts.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Good choice on the Nokians, I have used them before and was extremely happy with them.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 AM
You're right. My summers are OEM 19" staggered and I've been using Hankook Ventus V12 evo since this May.

I do have staggered wheel set for winter of 17" size. It will be my 3rd winter with G35. I really struggled the first as I had used Bridgestone tires (probably All-Season) at back and new Nankang snow tires at front. And the winter of 2010 was brutal. I bought a pair of ContiWinterContact 810S last winter for the rear and it barely snowed (moreover I lived in Toronto).

Now I'm back in Sarnia, ON. If it's going to be snowy winter; we'll get lots of it. It gets slushy as well and doesn't get cleaned up like in any other big city. And everyone around drives a truck here; so no one cares much.

The one thing that's bothering me now is the tread life of WS70. If it's as mild as previous winter; I'll just use up the tread life. I'm hearing that WS70 may not even pass 2 seasons. Is that just overwhelming or fact? If it's good for at least 2 seasons no matter what; I'll probably go with that.

I've never used studded tires (are they allowed in Ontario?). GT Altimax Arctic: I didn't see any sale in CT site yet.

I live by the border. I already have a price quote of $700/set for WS70 in Port Huron, MI, USA and $920/set from Tires23 (Mississauga) including tax and mounting. None of them has GT though.

I came from a sub-tropical country to Canada in 2005 and I've been driving since 2008. Seriously, I still don't know much about winter tires.

Thanks to everyone who are putting thoughts into it.
Rossei, how do you like the Hankook V12 EVOs for the summer?.......i've heard the tread wear is a bit better than the Falkens......how're the hankooks in the rain?

Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 AM
For winter, anyone have any comments about the performance of Hankook iPikes?
(i know its more on the affordable end).

Old 11-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by G35DG
Rossei, how do you like the Hankook V12 EVOs for the summer?.......i've heard the tread wear is a bit better than the Falkens......how're the hankooks in the rain?
It has only been 1 season with Hankooks. I can compare them only with the stock ones (BS Potenza) which came to me after half being used.

Anyway, Hankooks are quieter. But the grip was better with Potenza, especially at quick launch. I didn't have any issue with Hankook during summer, btw since I'm still driving with them now (below 5 C); it's not performing as usual. All the rain and wind we got from "Sandy" made it terrible on wet traction. I was little surprised as they have only 4500 km on them and have 9/32~11/32 tread depth.

I guess they are still good for the price you pay.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
OK, I've put the Nokians on yesterday. They are Nokian Hakka R models with 215/55/17 all over. I wanted to go staggered as usual, but took everyone's advice here this time. The temp actually rose from yesterday (above 5C), so nothing to share.

But amazingly, my brakes improved. It feels lighter; but lost some agressions.

I will surely post my thoughts here when it really starts snowing.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
OK, I've put the Nokians on yesterday. They are Nokian Hakka R models with 215/55/17 all over. I wanted to go staggered as usual, but took everyone's advice here this time. The temp actually rose from yesterday (above 5C), so nothing to share.

But amazingly, my brakes improved. It feels lighter; but lost some agressions.

I will surely post my thoughts here when it really starts snowing.
It's been a couple of weeks, how've they been? I may have missed it, but do you mind sharing the price?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by whatacar
It's been a couple of weeks, how've they been? I may have missed it, but do you mind sharing the price?
Hey, it only snowed once overnight and cleared mostly by daylight. I went out and couldn't find a parkway with snow/ice. Anyway, they're way louder and not as comfortable as summer tires which is expected. But they aren't supposed to be run on high speed (~170 km/h I guess) either. I even drove over 150 on 401 hwy and didn't feel comfortable (waves a bit) at all. The tire size of 215/55/17 all over might play a role here.

They were CAD $225 a piece.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Info - Great White North