Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Tires Info - Great White North

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm happy with my choice on the Blizzaks this time with the G seeing more winter use than the BMW.
I loved the dunlops on the Bimmer though.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 01-16-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Appreciate that info Godmans. I was thinking I might try the Dunlops next time since they are more performance orientated. I have used Nokians and two sets of Blizzaks and they have been fantastic in snow and ice. I guess I will stay with the Blizzaks again my next time around.
np, the dunlpos M3/3D are really not meant for deep snow purpose. It is definitely a compromise that you have to decide on. I used to wear on a set of snow/ ice oriented winter tires, but I just hated the performance aspect because of the totally different tread/ material and sidewall design...

Old 01-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Any Alberta peeps looking for 17s for winter? Stumbled upon some Z hoops in Calgary for 300 beans, maybe less if you have some negotiating skillz...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ101345845

Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
^wow... excellent buy for someone!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm an idiot for posting instead of buying them, then selling for $450...

Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
^wow... excellent buy for someone!
yeah, with the sensors for sure.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Any Alberta peeps looking for 17s for winter? Stumbled upon some Z hoops in Calgary for 300 beans, maybe less if you have some negotiating skillz...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ101345845

Here are some tires to go on them (I think they'll fit, anyhoo)

https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...-90-tread.html

$500-ish for full winter setup?? Can't beat that with a stick!! If I had any money, they'd be in my garage...

Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Rated M

^I think that's the same set up Shane got for his '07. Good deal Wayne. You'll soon be singing a new tune!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
FWIW... a vid comparing; snows vs. all season vs. summer tires.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GlYEMH10Z4s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GlYEMH10Z4s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Winter Tire Set

I'm such a dumn that I didn't look for Canadian section of the forum. Anyway, this seems too late; but still looking for your thoughts.

I bought my 07 G35 Coupe in Oct, 2010. It came with OEM 19" wheels and OEM Bridgestone Potenza (all-season) tires. As winter was coming, I soon bought 17" FAST wheels from same dealer I bought my car from. I finally equipped it with 2 new Nankang Snow SV-1 tires for front and 2 used Bridgestone (forgot tire name) tires for the rear. I had real hard time driving in winter in Sarnia, ON with this combo.

Well, I'm in Toronto now and don't have to commute to work by my G35. Yet, I almost decided to go for Bridgestone Blizzak for my rears, but my dealer suggested Continental TS 810S, Therefore, I have same Nankang Snow SV-1 (front) which are 1 season old and Continental TS 810S (rear).

Will I survive this winter and the next (I will move back to Sarnia this summer)? I know that I should change all tires at the same time; but not happening.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:15 PM
While you need to keep your traction balanced front to rear and side to side, the differences between summer (or all-season) tires and winter tires, is far greater than the difference between brands and models of winter tires. Ideally they'd all be the same model of tire, but you'll probably be okay with what your dealer has suggested. FWIW, he's probably suggesting the Contis because he doesn't sell Nankang. Also, keep in mind the Contis are "Performance Winter Tires", while the Nankangs are "Touring Winter Tires" - at least based upon what I could track down - so that's a bit of a mis-match. As an alternative, could you not find a pair of rear tires to match your fronts? They're only a year old so may well be current catalogue, though it's getting late in the season and they may be sold out for the year.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by cycleguy55
While you need to keep your traction balanced front to rear and side to side, the differences between summer (or all-season) tires and winter tires, is far greater than the difference between brands and models of winter tires. Ideally they'd all be the same model of tire, but you'll probably be okay with what your dealer has suggested. FWIW, he's probably suggesting the Contis because he doesn't sell Nankang. Also, keep in mind the Contis are "Performance Winter Tires", while the Nankangs are "Touring Winter Tires" - at least based upon what I could track down - so that's a bit of a mis-match. As an alternative, could you not find a pair of rear tires to match your fronts? They're only a year old so may well be current catalogue, though it's getting late in the season and they may be sold out for the year.
If I understand you right, you are suggesting to have dedicated snow tires all around. But I've just bought the Contis, if I go for 2 new Nankang for the rear, what will I do with almost brand new Contis?

In addition, If I stick to what I have for this winter, what's your suggestion for the next one? Nankang will be 2 winters old and Contis be 1 winter by that time. And I will be driving to my office (power station) everyday.

Last edited by Rossei; 01-20-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Is this your first torquey RWD car? It takes a bit of finessing compared to other cars but mixed winters still works.

I'm running Bridgestone LM25 on fronts and Dunlop D3 rears and it gets scary real fast if you floor it. It could also be that these are sorta worn out so I'm dumping them once spring comes and going for 17s Conti EWC all around come next winter. My current set are 19s from the previous owner and I've wondered why they didn't downsize and get rims. 19 winters are damn expensive, and the ride sucks because of all the shitty roads.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 PM
With the Nankangs on the front, and the Contis on the rear, you have winter tires all around. You've already bought them, so live with them - but make sure you understand their limits. Wait until the snow falls and find a parking lot or other area without obstructions (e.g. light poles), then try some low speed spins, handbrake turns, acceleration, braking while turning, etc. to get a feel for the tires.

Don't forget to take them off in the spring when it starts to warm up. They'll wear like crazy when the temperature climbs into the teens (Celsius), and you want to preserve them for next winter(s).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Info - Great White North