Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Tires Info - Great White North

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gcoupe_toronto
^

i agree = more wear, are we talking drastic wear?
Impossible question to answer. We don't know your definition of drastic wear and have no idea how many miles you drive, how often and aggressively you spin the tires, what the temperature it is outside when you spin the tires, whether you touch pavement?how much snow/ice when doing so etc.

It will wear your tires some. How much is for you to judge and control as you wish.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 PM
BMC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on winter tires?

Calgary got hit with yet another dump of snow. First dump of the season was last Sunday, and then Friday hit us with snow and now some extremely cold weather. I was quickly reminded last Sunday why all-seasons + RWD don't mix. Although I was able to get around the city, I couldn't make it uphill on my cul-de-sac to get to the driveway, so I put in reverse and parked the G sedan at the bottom of the street. It was only this Thursday when the snow was sufficiently packed down by traffic that I was able to get the car back on the driveway. Hmmmm...there was a reason why I bought Blizzaks for my previous G!

This brings me to the reason for my thread - would like to hear from G coupe owners or RWD G sedan owners and their choices for winter shoes. Did you go the 17" route? I think on my previous G I threw on the Blizzak LM-22's but was wondering if anyone had used the Blizzak WS-60's and how they fared on the mushy stuff.

Anyone try out the Michelin Pilot Alpin's? Any other tires out there that you felt were outstanding? Also - what tire and wheel size did you go with? I seem to recall that the previous G sport package was a 215/55-17. My tires right now are the odd size 235/45-18's; also doesn't seem to be much selection when it comes to this tire size, esp for winters.

Am debating on whether to get replace the all-seasons and put winters on the sport package 18's (with the view to getting a new 19" summer setup next summer) - but I think going down to a 17 and narrower tires might help the car hook up better in the snow.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by BMC; 12-14-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a set of used (only 4K km) Michelin Pilot's. Little bit slippy on the start, but great when it comes to turning and stopping. I don't have any experience with other tires, so I can't compare. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with them.
I do have 17's, apparently that helps with cutting through the snow. It's only been a few weeks, but already I can't wait to get the summer tires back on. The ride is good on the highway, etc. but you definitely notice the difference when going around bends or turns.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I've got pirelli snowsport 240's on my stock 18" for my RWD sedan. 255 40 18 and 225 45 18's. Kinda wish I went skinnier in the back but they're not bad. I think pirelli's are overpriced but these work well with a full tank of gas and 4 sandbags in the trunk. Made my way around calgary no problem through that storm.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:43 PM
BMC
Originally Posted by KevcoG35
I've got pirelli snowsport 240's on my stock 18" for my RWD sedan. 255 40 18 and 225 45 18's. Kinda wish I went skinnier in the back but they're not bad. I think pirelli's are overpriced but these work well with a full tank of gas and 4 sandbags in the trunk. Made my way around calgary no problem through that storm.
Thanks for the info on the Pirelli's. Will look up reviews on those tires. When I owned my prevous G on Blizzak LM22's in the 215 size they hooked up nicely except in thick snow when I hit the throttle to hard. Then the back when would come loose a bit. Then again maybe I should have used the 4 sandbag trick. Good idea!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Blizzak WS60's on aftermarket 17's and lovin every minute of it.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:52 AM
BMC
Am leaning towards a set of 17's with the WS60's - tirerack.com has a winter pkg for the G with that set up.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by G35Sask
Blizzak WS60's on aftermarket 17's and lovin every minute of it.
+1, I have the same setup and it is really great in the snow, pretty good when it comes to stopping and turning the car. Only time when it start to slip is when I peg on the gas.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just got my winters installed. I went with 235/ (50 or 55 - can't remember) / 17 on all 4 corners.

They haven't been "winter tested" yet. One big difference I did notice is the ride quality, it's like night and day compared to when I had my oem 18's. Actually feels like a entry-luxury car now.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Is anyone finding it difficult to get winter tires this year? Our local news radio station was talking about the impact of the new law requiring winter tires in Quebec, and they said that many popular models and sizes may not be available until February 2009.

I'm sure glad I got my Nokians in early October.

Last edited by Christian; 12-15-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
^ Yes, I have heard of a couple of people at work that are waiting on back orders.
Quebec has definitely sucked up a lot of stock.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:17 PM
BMC
Originally Posted by Christian
Is anyone finding it difficult to get winter tires this year? Our local news radio station was talking about the impact of the new law requiring winter tires in Quebec, and they said that many popular models and sizes may not be available until February 2009.

I'm sure glad I got my Nokians in early October.
I've been so busy at work that I haven't even bothered to call around. My buddies told me about the Quebec legislation so I went straight to online shopping.

Besides, even if tires were available, I'm not even going to try to drive my sedan with its current rubber around Calgary's slick streets. So this morning I ordered a set of 215/55-17 Blizzak WS60's and the 5 spoke MSW Type 14's from the tirerack. Should arrive next week, at which point I'll install them myself. Then it's back to the G and freedom from the winter beater.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC
I've been so busy at work that I haven't even bothered to call around. My buddies told me about the Quebec legislation so I went straight to online shopping.

Besides, even if tires were available, I'm not even going to try to drive my sedan with its current rubber around Calgary's slick streets. So this morning I ordered a set of 215/55-17 Blizzak WS60's and the 5 spoke MSW Type 14's from the tirerack. Should arrive next week, at which point I'll install them myself. Then it's back to the G and freedom from the winter beater.
good stuff!!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah, tires are scarce here too, but i'm glad for the law.
really put the nokians to a test yesterday. was up in the laurentians on a private road, which thanks to the rain had turned to ice. slick ice covered in water. i couldn't even stand on it.

after getting the car out of the 8" deep packed slush, i was prepared to not move once i hit the ice.
i was shocked.
while i had to to be gentle with the gas on take-off, i was able to climb the hills, could take the twistys at 50 without the back sliding out. with VDC OFF.

i spent about an hour going back and forth seeing just how amazing the grip was. i even let my gf take it for a try, it was her second time driving and has a lead foot, the car didn't even get away from her.

freakin' amazing tires on ice. (not even studded, btw)

i wish they had a bit of a more agressive lug for deep snow/slush, but they do a pretty good job none the less.

on a winter-driving topic, i know a lot of coil overs let you adjust the lowering of the car, how about lifting? i could use another inch or so of ground clearance in the winter, i've gotten hung up a few times already.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:26 AM
I have 2 brand new hankook winter tires (195/65/15) that I am going to put on kijii what would be a good price to list?

Last edited by gcoupe_toronto; 12-18-2008 at 09:33 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Info - Great White North