Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Tires Info - Great White North

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
^^^great advice from Gord

Old 11-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hullio
Thank you, sir . I guess I won't look into these. I just can't seem to find any Blizzaks.
Again, it really depends on what you expect out of the tires. The Alpins will feel quite close or even superior to many All Season tires in the dry, and significantly better to A/S on snow and ice.

It's just that compared with some of the newest tech tires like the Hakka R, the WS-60, and the X-Ice Xi2, they won't be quite as good in the really slippery stuff. I'd bet that they'd be better than some other winter tires including the Goodyear Ice Radial, and many of the lesser known brands. Likely better than the Blizzak WS-60 after the 'multi-cell' compound wears out (~45% tread remaining), and last longer to boot.

I used the Performance LM-18s for several seasons and was very happy with them. No squirminess in the dry with great handling, and respectible performance on ice and snow. But for maximum traction when conditions are poor, go with the 3 mentioned above. The PA3 will likely be a little better than the older LM-18/22 from what I've heard. I was actually intending to go with the Primacy PA3 before I decided to try the Xi2 since I'd heard great things about them.

I'd definitely go with the Alpins over many other winter tires on the market given the choice.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm working with ATEQ Canada to sort this out...

Originally Posted by s.dunn
Cycleguy...

Seems like an awesome idea, however I don't see how it programs into the car computer? The web page is rather vague on how it actually combines with the cars receivers and tires transmitters and brings it all together. However if they can prove it works... Im buying one and ordering sensors tomorrow!

S.Dunn
As indicated by ATEQ Canada, the Nissan/Infiniti doesn't have a 'learn' mode per se, and they claim you either: a) need to go to the stealer to have the factory tools; or b) acquire one of their VT55 units for about (gulp) $1,700!!

As of this writing, I'm not yet convinced those are our only two options. For one, the service manual indicates a way to calibrate the system w/o any tools (by using specified and distinct pressure in each tire). In addition, I'm aware of a tool on the market called the "Tire Pressure Reset Tool for Nissan", listed at each of the following links:
http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=2444
http://www.otctpms.com/products/nissanreset.php
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat.../OTC-3831.html

The way I understand it, you use the "Tire Pressure Reset Tool for Nissan", then either: a) drive with the specific tire pressures (34/31/29/26 for LF, RF, RR, LF respectively) for a few kilometres at > 40 Km/hr; or b) use a tool like the ATEQ VT10.

I am also aware of a few other tools on the market, such as those listed at one of my other posts: https://g35driver.com/forums/group-b...ml#post3395582.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Again, it really depends on what you expect out of the tires. The Alpins will feel quite close or even superior to many All Season tires in the dry, and significantly better to A/S on snow and ice.

It's just that compared with some of the newest tech tires like the Hakka R, the WS-60, and the X-Ice Xi2, they won't be quite as good in the really slippery stuff. I'd bet that they'd be better than some other winter tires including the Goodyear Ice Radial, and many of the lesser known brands. Likely better than the Blizzak WS-60 after the 'multi-cell' compound wears out (~45% tread remaining), and last longer to boot.

I used the Performance LM-18s for several seasons and was very happy with them. No squirminess in the dry with great handling, and respectible performance on ice and snow. But for maximum traction when conditions are poor, go with the 3 mentioned above. The PA3 will likely be a little better than the older LM-18/22 from what I've heard. I was actually intending to go with the Primacy PA3 before I decided to try the Xi2 since I heard great things about them.

I'd definitely go with the Alpins over many other winter tires on the market given the choice.
The main thing that I'm looking for is a winter tire that can help me out in the toughest of snowy and icy conditions.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up S. Dunn

Just got my car back today. 17 inch CR superlite wheels wrapped in 225/50R17 Nokian Hakka R's. I guess we will see how they are with snow. One thing I noticed was that the TPMS light didnt come on which was odd.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Well I had to drive through snow covered and slushy roads yesterday with my summer rims on (I do have AS tires on them though)
So today I dragged out my Blizzak WS-50s on my OEM allos and installed them. All torqued up and ready to roll.
Back to the soft, cushy winter ride. One good thing, my TPS light went out within a kilometer of home. It's nice to have the warning light off. I keep my sensors in my winter rims since I don't want the bother of checking tire pressures in the cold and snowy weather. I don't mind checking them in the warmer seasons.

So I'm ready for the white stuff.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Well I had to drive through snow covered and slushy roads yesterday with my summer rims on (I do have AS tires on them though)
So today I dragged out my Blizzak WS-50s on my OEM allos and installed them. All torqued up and ready to roll.
Back to the soft, cushy winter ride. One good thing, my TPS light went out within a kilometer of home. It's nice to have the warning light off. I keep my sensors in my winter rims since I don't want the bother of checking tire pressures in the cold and snowy weather. I don't mind checking them in the warmer seasons.

So I'm ready for the white stuff.
W is ready to rock-n-roll .

Whereas, I'm still trying to find snow tires . My cousin told me of a store called "Consumer Tires" down on Woodbine and 14th. Anyone heard of it/been to it?

Old 11-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Okay, I've checked out quite a few stores today.

First of all, is it true that I cannot run Michelin X-Ice due to the tire rating? 2 out of 3 tire shops told me that it would be dangerous to run X-ice's on my G.

It seems like where ever I go, I'm mainly being offered the Michelin Alpine 3's. However, I've been told they aren't the best snow tires around. I was quoted $218/tire for the Alipines (from Sams Club) and $260/tire for Blizzaks (Active Green and Ross).

Old 11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by hullio
Okay, I've checked out quite a few stores today.

First of all, is it true that I cannot run Michelin X-Ice due to the tire rating? 2 out of 3 tire shops told me that it would be dangerous to run X-ice's on my G.

It seems like where ever I go, I'm mainly being offered the Michelin Alpine 3's. However, I've been told they aren't the best snow tires around. I was quoted $218/tire for the Alipines (from Sams Club) and $260/tire for Blizzaks (Active Green and Ross).
Hullio are they talking about the speed rating?
The car will also run faster than the speed rating of the WS-50, but I run them. It is foolish to go that fast in the winter or with snow tires on. If I remember correctly that is Q rating (160km/hr) I think the Michelin X-Ice is also the same. The WS-60 is rated at R (170km/hr) .

Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Hullio are they talking about the speed rating?
The car will also run faster than the speed rating of the WS-50, but I run them. It is foolish to go that fast in the winter or with snow tires on. If I remember correctly that is Q rating (160km/hr) I think the Michelin X-Ice is also the same. The WS-60 is rated at R (170km/hr) .
Yes, the speed rating. They told me it would dangerous to run the X-Ice as it would effect my stopping distance. Is that true? All I thought the ratings on tires were how fast you can go with them.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I don'r see how that affects your braking.
Our OEM tires for the 07X are V rated but if you check tirerack for our car they recommend many ratings for the winter tire.
Here is our car and you can read the reviews and specs of the tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?cameFrom=WinterSection&startIndex=0&v ehicleSearch=true&width=225/&ratio=55&diameter=17&sortcode=49750&performance=W &search=true

Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I don'r see how that affects your braking.
Our OEM tires for the 07X are V rated but if you check tirerack for our car they recommend many ratings for the winter tire.
Here is our car and you can read the reviews and specs of the tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?cameFrom=WinterSection&startIndex=0&v ehicleSearch=true&width=225/&ratio=55&diameter=17&sortcode=49750&performance=W &search=true
Thanks W

Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Alrighty, I did some research and my thoughts turned out to be correct. As quoted from the Goodyear Tires website:

"...if you never drive at speeds near the limits of your speed rated tires, you may choose to replace them with tires having a lesser top speed rating. Speed ratings do not indicate how well a tire handles or corners. They certify the tire’s ability to withstand high speed."

So I guess I should be fine with the X-Ice.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Just picked up a set up Nokian Hakkapeliitta R for my coupe...if anyone is interested in GTA PM with your tire size and I will get you a price, I paid $900 (NOT installed)
I got couple of quotes from tire dealers with a avg price of $1100 +

Last edited by gcoupe_toronto; 11-12-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I just picked up a set of Blizzak LM25s, and I'm praying that they'll get me through a Toronto winter unscathed. I almost wet myself on my Toyo Proxes 4s when I bought my G35 Coupe and we had one final snow fall for the season. I would have liked to get a hardcore winter tire, rather than a performance winter tire, but I really wanted to keep my 18 inch rims on. Comments appreciated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Info - Great White North