Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Tires Info - Great White North

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleguy55
As of this writing, I'm not yet convinced those are our only two options. For one, the service manual indicates a way to calibrate the system w/o any tools (by using specified and distinct pressure in each tire).

I had read through the manual as well when I started this whole winter tire ordeal, I miss the old city dwelling days when I never had winter tires I tell you!

It is my understanding that even with this method of allowing the car to sense the sensors it still needs to be put into a "program mode" through the ob2 port first? Ie you still have to trigger it to look for the new sensors at their respective pressures and then turn off... I hope Im wrong though... we should get 15 guys and buy one of those bad boys though and just be done with it!

S.Dunn

Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ian_H
Good write up S. Dunn

Just got my car back today. 17 inch CR superlite wheels wrapped in 225/50R17 Nokian Hakka R's. I guess we will see how they are with snow. One thing I noticed was that the TPMS light didnt come on which was odd.

Some times it takes quite a while to come on. Also Im not sure how far the sensors work and my tires are stored in the garage so... maybe that works in my favor. My light also has yet to come on.

I have no doubt you will like the tires... just not quite as much on smooth dry pavement. Had some guy in a Pontiac g6 coupe today try to show me how fast his car was... I haven't scene a slip light blink quite that much ever... it was like waiting for turbo lag to hit... finally it stopped slipping and grabbed and the thing took off like a bat out of hell... but it certainly wasn't like the much wider performance tires of the summer... Why the hell wont it snow again?

S.Dunn

Old 11-13-2008, 11:53 PM
SICK Deal

Originally Posted by gcoupe_toronto
Just picked up a set up Nokian Hakkapeliitta R for my coupe...if anyone is interested in GTA PM with your tire size and I will get you a price, I paid $900 (NOT installed)
I got couple of quotes from tire dealers with a avg price of $1100 +
Could we get a little bit more details from you about this... What size tire are you quoting tax included?

Granted you didn't tell me sizes but if your going to a 215/55 17 should be around 230 per tire. I have no clue what a 235 45 18 would price at... More no doubt

If its tax in its not bad I guess... I would think they would throw in mounting if they are selling you the tires. What warranty is offered by the shop. What does the shop want to slay you for install?

I think I paid $1225 for the tires mounted balanced and new valve stems. This was including tax in british columbia, obviously not including rims. The tires were 215/55 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's which sell for a little bit more than the R (however most people don't need the 5 and would be better off with the R).

Thanks for the info... no doubt it is a good deal... just need to clarify. Im sure people in the GTA appreciate you trying to hook them up!

S.Dunn

Old 11-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Finally received my WS-50 tires from Tire rack yesteday. There was a delay getting them off the boat in customs. $75 each!!! I think they still have them listed if you guys are interested. Size 215-55-R17.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Excellent buy

Old 11-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nibble
Well I just picked up a set of Blizzak LM25s, and I'm praying that they'll get me through a Toronto winter unscathed. I almost wet myself on my Toyo Proxes 4s when I bought my G35 Coupe and we had one final snow fall for the season. I would have liked to get a hardcore winter tire, rather than a performance winter tire, but I really wanted to keep my 18 inch rims on. Comments appreciated.
One shop was trying to talk me into a set of Proxes 4s to replace the Pilot Sport A/S that I just wore out. I'm glad I got a new set of the Pilots since I've been very impressed with the traction during those early and late snowfalls of the seasons! Even did okay in a late season 4" snowfall a year or two back, but of course I swapped back to the LMs for a few more weeks as soon as I could that year.

I wasn't sure how the Proxes 4s were in the snow and ice as there haven't been many reviews. But for a High Performance A/S, I highly recommend the Pilot Sports!

I think you'll be impressed with the dry traction and handling of your new LM-25s. Even the snow and ice traction is better than many of the 'other brand' winter tires out there.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I got a BBK kit on my car.
According to the dealer i can't fit ANYTHING less then 20's

Do you guys know anythere that sells 20 inch steelies? OR winter quality rims.
The current size im running is 285/30/20 rear 245/35/20 front.

Any input would help me ALOT.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire Pressure Reset Tool for Nissan??

Originally Posted by s.dunn
I had read through the manual as well when I started this whole winter tire ordeal, I miss the old city dwelling days when I never had winter tires I tell you!

It is my understanding that even with this method of allowing the car to sense the sensors it still needs to be put into a "program mode" through the ob2 port first? Ie you still have to trigger it to look for the new sensors at their respective pressures and then turn off... I hope Im wrong though... we should get 15 guys and buy one of those bad boys though and just be done with it!

S.Dunn
As I wrote previously, in the absence of a Nissan/Infiniti Consult III (or is that Consult II?) or 3rd party equivalent, I believe you can use a "Tire Pressure Reset Tool for Nissan" to put the system into "program mode"., listed at each of the following links:
http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=2444
http://www.otctpms.com/products/nissanreset.php
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat.../OTC-3831.html

Does anyone out there have any experience with the "Tire Pressure Reset Tool for Nissan", how it works, etc.?

Old 11-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
20" steelies?

Originally Posted by vat_U_tink
I got a BBK kit on my car.
According to the dealer i can't fit ANYTHING less then 20's

Do you guys know anythere that sells 20 inch steelies? OR winter quality rims.
The current size im running is 285/30/20 rear 245/35/20 front.

Any input would help me ALOT.
20" steelies? You're SOL, man - look for alloys.

BTW, which BBK do you have?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
I think you'll be impressed with the dry traction and handling of your new LM-25s. Even the snow and ice traction is better than many of the 'other brand' winter tires out there.
Thanks for the comments. I feel better about my purchase now, and I can't wait to see how they are for myself. As for the Proxes 4s, you definitely made a good decision not getting them if you're at all concerned about snow traction. Unfortunately I can't really compare them to anything else as far as regular all seasons go since they're the only tires I've ever had on my G. I'll get a better idea of how good they were once the winter season is over and I get a new set off tires.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nibble
Thanks for the comments. I feel better about my purchase now, and I can't wait to see how they are for myself. As for the Proxes 4s, you definitely made a good decision not getting them if you're at all concerned about snow traction. Unfortunately I can't really compare them to anything else as far as regular all seasons go since they're the only tires I've ever had on my G. I'll get a better idea of how good they were once the winter season is over and I get a new set off tires.
As I said above, I was very impressed with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Here in Edmonton, we get a lot of very early and late season snowfalls, so how the tires do before and after I get my winter tires on is very important to me. The first time I drove them in the snow, I was literally shocked at how well they did. Felt better than any other A/S I've ever tried, at least going forward. Backing up in the snow, not so good. I got just over 60,000 Km on mine with fairly spirited driving before they wore out, so I'm happy with the wear as well.

Michelin is just releasing the replacement Pilot Sport A/S Plus which according to Tirerack, is even better and has a higher treadwear rating. Unfortunately, I just got mine a few weeks ago and they aren't available here yet. Not even listed on the Canadian Site. So if you're replacing your Proxes 4s, you might want to give the new A/S Plus a try.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:05 PM
^^ I agree completely
I was equally impressed with my 245/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S tires. I got caught on snow covered roads last week and they did perform amazingly well. I now have my Blizzaks on though since nothing can beat dedicated winter rubber.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
^^^^ Bob. Your wheels and tires should be posted here on Marketplace: https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires-fs-100/
Good luck on your sale

Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks. I should probably take some pix and measure that tread depth first.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I had a good test run on a new set of Blizzak WS-60 this morning.
I hit a variety of road conditions on the way into work this a.m.
- hard pack (icy)
- 4-6" fresh snow
- slush

I was really impressed with the traction through all conditions.
But braking on the icy hard pack was especially outstanding
These are my 1st Bizzaks & initial impression is.

....the only other thing, is just how long they hold up at this performance level.... time will tell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Info - Great White North