Canada Serving Canada.

Sable Suede on Sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sable Suede on Sale

I went to Fabricland the other day to pick up some suede to do my interior and it turns out that it's on sale for $12/m. I think the regular price is $29/m. It's on sale until September 29th. The quality seems decent. It comes out black in pictures which I've read normally indicates good quality. It's not Alcantara but it beats paying $80 a yard. I'll try and get some pics up if you guys want

Old 09-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
nice, post some pics up please... I wanna do some sueding in the interior as well...

which Fabricland location by the way ?? or do they all have the sale ?

how many meters do you think I would need to do the inside of the car ? just around the sunroof and the pillars, those are the only tan pieces left, the rest of the interior is black from the factory.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Here's a couple pics, I'll try and get some better ones soon.

I believe it's on sale at all of them. I'd say double check their site or give them a call.

If you're doing the headliner and both the front and rear pillars, I'd say 3 meters would be enough. I started with 2 meters and bought another 2. I'm doing the headliner, sunroof cowl, front and rear pillars, and both kick panels. I also did a buddy's A-pillars. I'll let you know if I need anymore, I should be starting the headliner tomorrow.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:29 AM
wow looks good so far, thanks for the info and yea update us tomorrow and also if you don't mind telling me how you apply the suede?

some kind of glue?? do you apply it right over the OEM liner or are you supposed to take the nasty OEM tan carpet off ??

I've never done anything like this so I just wanna make sure it's done right.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:51 AM
I'm using 3M Super 77 spray glue. Very easy to apply, just don't put too much on or it will seep through the suede. I'm planning to do it over the OEM fabric but I have heard that it's a good idea to take it off. I think it's mainly to prevent it from falling it the OEM fabric fails at some point.

I'd recommend starting with your A-pillars. They're very easy to do, just takes patience.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 PM
thanks for the tip, I'm about to go pick some up from a nearby FabricLand in about an hour

Old 09-26-2009, 11:47 PM
i think we should make this into a fabricland meet. theres one near near my house at yonge and empress

Old 09-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
lol

Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 AM
So I'm almost done, just need to finish the headliner. Having a bit of a problem with getting a wrinkle out haha. Just a tip, it might be handy to leave the OEM fabric on. If you need to remove the suede, it'll be easier to pull it off. The headliner itself looks like its some kind of fiberglass. So when you pull off the suede, if there is too much glue, it can damage the headliner.

Anyone end up picking some up and trying this?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
i really want to but im scared to. How did you paint the plastic parts? Is there some kind of paint that will give the vinyl look to match the dash?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm almost done Brandon, I did everything except the headliner... I messed up and tried to do the headliner all at once, and it came out with too many wrinkles... so I have to pick up some more suede next week and I'll do the headliner again section by section to make sure I don't get any wrinkles. And yea I ripped off a little bit more than I would have like when I took the suede off the headliner too, but it should be fine.. I'm doing the visor thingies today, I tore off the OEM material which was pretty stupid, so now I'm gonna do two layers of suede to give it a nice smooth and soft look.

I bought vinyl/plastic spray paint to do the rest of the small tan plastic pieces in black as well. It takes about a week to fully cure and be chip resistant, so I'm leaving all of it out the car to dry for a week. The seatbelt tan piece you can't take off, so I'm gonna unscrew the seatbelt and pull as far away from the car as I can and put a car cover on while I spraypaint the piece...
I'll post some pics when I'm done in here, you should do the same

Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Definitely going to post some pics. I've done everything but the headliner. I'm going to take off the suede I have on the headliner right now and redo it. How are you doing the visor? I looked at it and had no clue lol. I decided just to use some fabric paint but if you could post some tips on the visor, that'd be great

I was going to do the same thing as you with the seatbelt cover (rear pillar?) but I'm going to try unstitching the belt from the bottom mounting bracket, slide off the cover, paint it, then stitch up the seatbelt once it' back on. I still have to take a look at it first to see if it would work but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Does anyone know what material seatbelts are made of or where to buy custom coloured seatbelt material?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 PM
So I'm almost done, just finishing up the sunroof. Here's some shots of the headliner.

Originally Posted by Polishthrust
i really want to but im scared to. How did you paint the plastic parts? Is there some kind of paint that will give the vinyl look to match the dash?
This is the 2nd car I've done and it felt like a breeze for the most part. It really just takes patience and abit of research. The A-pillars are very easy to do, I can't see anyone having much trouble with it. The rear pillars and headliner are harder to do but with patience you should be able to get it.

I used Duplicolour spray paint for my plastic pieces. I first applied 3 coats of adhesion promoter. They came out looking pretty good. Also, as far as I know, there is no paint that can replicate a vinyl look unless the texture of the material being painted looks like vinyl.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how hard is doing all this? I've been wanting to change the headliner/pillars for a while. Is there a DYI on how to do it or is it a pretty straight forward thing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sable Suede on Sale