Canada Serving Canada.

Surgeon stopped for Speeding..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surgeon stopped for Speeding..

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...g-surgeon?bn=1

Anyone read this story? Brings up an interesting point.

If this guy gets nailed, then Spezza's brother should also be nailed after rescuing the woman who was being assaulted and chasing down the guy in a high speed pursuit with a Porsche when everyone called him a hero...

Last edited by Shawn87; 01-12-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I read it on the way to work this monring. To be honest, I haven't decided which side I would take. Going 80 in a 40 is pretty bonkers regardless of the situation. On the other hand, how much of a factor does 2 or 3 minutes play into the medical procedure. The one thing I will say though is that the cops have to draw a line somewhere.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
The problem I have with it is how does the Doc get there any other time he's on call.
This must be a pretty standard situation for an on call surgeon.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I think he deserved the ticket. He could kill someone else while driving like that way to save someone else.

The only way around it would be to issue on call Drs with a portable Flashing light for the car, similar to what Volunteer Firefighters get. At least this would warn people to clear the way for him which might make it a bit quicker and safer to get there.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
in this matter i take surgeon's side. imagine that guy is running to rescue one of ur loved ones.

the best possibility could have been, the cop tells the guy to park somewhere safe. drive the doctor to hospital with cop car and see if he is really telling the truth, if not charge with misleading an officer.that could have helped the doctor, the patient also the reputation of police officers. i dont think u need quantum mechanics to figure it out.

cops dont listen anything, just writes the ticket, gets his number of tickets per day(quota) and leave.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
IMO the tickets aren't so bad... what's the difference between a surgeon speeding down the road and anybody else doing the same? So he's rushing to save a life... what if he crashed into a schoolbus or accidentally ran over a few people (maybe someone you love)? Would it make a difference that he was rushing to save a life then?

The fact that the cops have to be @ssholes about it and take half an hour or so to write up the ticket is just excessive though...

Last edited by dofu; 01-12-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, the doctor had to obviously show him some i.d.

why not just follow the doctor to the hospital and wait to give the ticket,

oh wait, cops are too lazy

Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F the popo, they do no good.. its times like these that **** ime off even more..yea, what if ur loved one was the one in the hospital? no one said ihes driving carelessly, is he running over people? i think not..liek cops dont speed all the time, AND they dont even have their lights on..i think the cop should be crucified

Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ even if hes driving carelessly, they coulda just exempted him and wrote him the ticket LATER

take his business card. mail it to him, thats why mail exists

Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^true but cops just like to be aholes

Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 AM
O’Connor said the police arrested the driver of the Pontiac before congratulating him and Spezza on risking their lives and O’Connor’s prized Porsche to pursue the suspect.

“The cops thanked me, they said ‘nobody would have taken the time,” said O’Connor.

Speeds of over 170kmh they admitted too..

Old 01-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
The cop was doing his job. You can say 'what if' the doctor was too late and it was one of your own lying on the table waiting. But you could also say 'what if' the doctor lost control and drove into the neighbourhood playground. Road conditions are not the best right now. If it's a posted 40km/h zone whats the reason? School zone perhaps?
I think it's a simple case where the doctor should not have been doing 75 in a 40 and should get a ticket but the police officer could have led him to the hospital to save time.
It's bad PR for everyone.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
It's bad PR for everyone.
I agree. And every case is different. Every cop is different. Wouldnt a warning have sufficed in a situation like this, I know ive had warnings when i should have a tickets, and I proceeded to drive at posted speeds following...

Sucks for the top cardio surgeon in Canada though.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by musti82
in this matter i take surgeon's side. imagine that guy is running to rescue one of ur loved ones.

the best possibility could have been, the cop tells the guy to park somewhere safe. drive the doctor to hospital with cop car and see if he is really telling the truth, if not charge with misleading an officer.that could have helped the doctor, the patient also the reputation of police officers. i dont think u need quantum mechanics to figure it out.

cops dont listen anything, just writes the ticket, gets his number of tickets per day(quota) and leave.
Mustafa, this still does not give the Dr permission to speed through built up areas and perhaps hit some child, your loved one, or anyone else for that matter. I know quite a few Drs and there definitely are some that I would not like to see driving like that. There is no need to jepordize the safety of people on the street. His patient is already in the Hospital being kept stable and taken care of, why chance sending more to the Hospital.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I agree^

Remember this was not a random "Is there a Dr in the house?" situation.
He was on call.
It's an everyday situation for an on call Dr.
Is it valid for him to speed every time he is called in?
IMO, Definitely not!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Surgeon stopped for Speeding..