Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Careful what and how you post....apparently

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...s-licence?bn=1

Staff Reporter
Watch your driving — and your mouth.

That’s the lesson a 19-year-old Vaughan man is learning after he boasted online about driving 100 km/h over the speed limit and was charged with careless driving.

York Regional police said Vladimir Rigenco pleaded guilty to the charge and has been banned from driving for six months. He was also sentenced to 12 months probation, must take part in a remedial driving program and pay a $1,000 fine.

At his home in Vaughan on Tuesday evening, Rigenco said the police couldn’t prove he was driving 140 km/h in a 40 km/h zone.

“They can’t prove anything — it’s just a forum,” he said.

When asked how he felt about all the attention, he replied: “How do you think I feel? Famous for something stupid.”

Police said Rigenco admitted to posting under the username “bmw550ifreak” on the BMW fan site 5 Series Forums.

On March 16 that user started a discussion thread called: “Going 140 km/h on a 40 zone.” That zone was a subdivision in Vaughan.

“The title says it all basically,” Rigenco wrote.

He described in detail how he stopped his 2006 BMW M5S on Apple Blossom Dr. and then floored it.

“I hit 140 in like 6 or less seconds lol,” he wrote.

Rigenco also posted about challenging another vehicle to a race on Dufferin St. “I cant stop racing with this car,” he wrote.

Rigenco was slammed by outraged forum members who were not impressed with his boastful post.

“It's really not something to be bragging about, I have a son and I worry about drivers like you,” one user wrote.

“There is a clear and present danger on the streets of Toronto,” another forum member wrote.

“Buddy. . . i think you are terribly misguided here. The fact that you knowingly pulled into a subdivision and did this, is just downright stupid.”

Following the negative reaction, Rigenco apologized and expressed regret in numerous posts throughout the 24-page thread.

“I drive everyday on my M5 and think about this thread it frustrates me, because I know I should have not done what I did,” Rigenco wrote. “I am driving as careful as I can now.”

At least one forum comment came from a person who claimed to be walking down Apple Blossom Dr. with their son when Rigenco sped down the street.

“If I ever see you speeding down the neighbourhood again, the cops are going to be the least of your worries!!!”

Police said a 5 Series Forums member from the U.S. tipped them off about Rigenco. One of the last posts in the thread is a note from an officer.

“Any witnesses that wish to come forward on Apple Blossom Drive, Vaughan about the dangerous operation of 2006 BMW M5S please contact Sergeant Morash, of York Regional Police.”

Rigenco’s reaction — a simple, alarmed “um” — follows in another post.

“Just looking at forums is obviously not enough, so an investigation was launched,” said Const. Serguei Barmakov.

He said police canvassed the neighbourhood and found a person who had witnessed the speeding incident and was willing to give a statement. Soon after, they found Rigenco.

“He knew it was coming and he was remorseful for his actions,” Barmakov said.

Barmakov said the Apple Blossom Dr. incident wasn’t an isolated occurrence — many of Rigenco’s neighbours were concerned about his driving.

Rigenco also admitted to smoking marijuana and started a thread about a car accident he said he was involved in with his BMW a few weeks after the speeding incident. Barmakov said police didn’t have enough evidence to pursue charges for either of these things.

Rigenco was originally charged with stunt driving and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle — charges which, if he was convicted, could have left him with a criminal record.

Fortunately for Rigenco, said his lawyer Aaron Spektor, those charges were dropped. Spektor called the case “bizarre” and said his client learned a lot from the embarrassment.

“He feels really stupid,” Spektor said.

Spektor describes Rigenco as a brilliant student who was offered scholarships from Ryerson, York and the University of Toronto. He wants to be a pilot. Spektor said Rigenco’s parents, who don’t know much about cars, bought the M5 for him as a reward for doing well in school. He said the parents just didn’t know any better.

“What business does he have behind the wheel of an M5? A 500-horsepower car?”

“Suffice it to say, it’s gone. He doesn’t have it anymore. They took it.”

Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 AM
This may be a good eye opener for immature posters... although I didnt realized you could be charged by a post. Brings an interesting perspective to the term 'forum rats'

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I read thru those threads, Shawn... a very interesting read.
Goes to show how a big mouth can get one in a lot of trouble.

Probably best the Vaughan kid was made to deal with it. May have saved his and other lives.

Makes one wonder how these potential 'missiles on 4 wheels' end up in kids hands. I'm sure there are many of that age who can handle the responsibility, but there are many who cannot.
C.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
for everyone involved getting this idiot off the road.
It boggles the mind that anyone would pull a stunt(s) like that in a residential area.

The other thing I just can't wrap my brain around is, why oh why do parents put vehicles like that
into the hands of immature testosterone driven kids.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://forums.5series.net/topic/9549...-on-a-40-zone/

'forum rat' indeed

i'm pretty sure we all would not be driving like grannies if we had a 500HP monster when we were 18, but on a residential street that's just plain dumb

Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Reminds me of the same type of negative media attention when that G got nailed doing 255 on the 400 southbound two winters ago...

I think everyone did stupid things when they were young and immature. It seems though people smarten up when they start getting tickets and pay INSANE insurance premiums and daddy doesnt flip the bill!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
although it is tough - and the D.A. should know - you can be charged for many offences based on circumstantial evidence. the trick for prosecution is making those charges stick by gathering supporting info. obviously this moron can't incriminate himself and the eye witness was weak so the charges were dropped.

the bigger morons are the goof's parents. not only are "presents" such as fancy new cars completely counterproductive to a kid's sense of reality and value of a dollar, when you throw 500hp into the mix it is very dangerous.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn87
This may be a good eye opener for immature posters... although I didnt realized you could be charged by a post. Brings an interesting perspective to the term 'forum rats'
Shawn I think the post only led to the investigation. It was the witness they found that sealed the deal.

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
for everyone involved getting this idiot off the road.
It boggles the mind that anyone would pull a stunt(s) like that in a residential area.

The other thing I just can't wrap my brain around is, why oh why do parents put vehicles like that
into the hands of immature testosterone driven kids
+100000 - I love my son but he's getting a 1995 Suzuki Swift - Power: 70 HP @ 5,500 rpm; 74 ft lb @ 3,000 rpm (if I can find one). If not then he gets the modern equivalent.

Lucky for the young man that he was nabbed before someone was hurt. If he's as smart as they let on then he will learn from this. Lets hope so.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I can feel where this kid is coming from... I mean I was in my M5 the other day, just cruising the streets of Delaware when I decided to slow down in a 35 and accelerate to 135mph from a stop in like 3 seconds. And then some ricer in a Civic Si pulled up next to me and we ended up racing head to head down the freeway...

Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
I can feel where this kid is coming from... I mean I was in my M5 the other day, just cruising the streets of Delaware when I decided to slow down in a 35 and accelerate to 135mph from a stop in like 3 seconds. And then some ricer in a Civic Si pulled up next to me and we ended up racing head to head down the freeway...
lmao!

On a side tangent, for the money, the SI is a pretty decent little car. We used to hit 100mph on the short straight on the test track AT the factory.. I forget the distance but it wasnt very far. Quick little suckers!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At least this ended without injury to the driver or the general public. This reminds me of the thread on a BMW M5 forum about another kid boasting about his abilities and that of the car. He ended up driving off the end of an airport runway in northern Florida killing himself and 4 of his friends in the car.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
This whole incident just goes to show - Bimmer drivers really are douchebags... every single one of them!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
^^ Haha

dofu -> <- InTgr8r

Old 08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
thank you.

...where's that ban hammer when you need it.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
This whole incident just goes to show - Bimmer drivers really are douchebags... every single one of them!
That's not a fair statement. Hope you're kidding again.
There was a G driver caught driving, something like 240km/hr, around here last year and on his winter tires to boot. Does that make all of us DB too?
I know more guys, personally, that drive BMWs than I do G drivers and they are all responsible cool guys.

Edit: ah he is kidding...good

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Careful what and how you post....apparently