Canada Serving Canada.

Official Canadian Weather Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010 | 10:30 AM
It's pretty good I'm looking forward to tobogganing with the Grand kids this week

Old 12-20-2010 | 11:44 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Same deal here Shane. Winds are picking up now. Lots of rain coming later today and tomorrow with a storm surge on the East Coast and Northumberland Strait. Possible flooding??

I'm probably in the minority camp but I'll take +5 and some rain over bitter cold and loads of snow almost anytime. (If it's coupled with flooding etc that's obviously not good.) I'd be happier with that all winter long and usually welcome a rain after snow as long as it's not followed by a deep freeze . Our average winter high is +1 in any case. Along with being Canada's 3rd sunniest city in the winter we often have some good melting going on. It's always a crap shoot though. Some winters very light and only short periods with snow on the ground and other times we've been hammered.

Old 12-20-2010 | 12:42 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
Same deal here Shane. Winds are picking up now. Lots of rain coming later today and tomorrow with a storm surge on the East Coast and Northumberland Strait. Possible flooding??

I'm probably in the minority camp but I'll take +5 and some rain over bitter cold and loads of snow almost anytime. (If it's coupled with flooding etc that's obviously not good.) I'd be happier with that all winter long and usually welcome a rain after snow as long as it's not followed by a deep freeze . Our average winter high is +1 in any case. Along with being Canada's 3rd sunniest city in the winter we often have some good melting going on. It's always a crap shoot though. Some winters very light and only short periods with snow on the ground and other times we've been hammered.
Cool, I didn't know that Deane. I am guessing that Saint John would be way down on that list!

Old 12-20-2010 | 01:05 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
I learned that in a solar shelter course I took last year. The issue was which major cities in Canada were best for solar gain from the sun. Can't recall where Saint John was but not so sure it was bad. I think it was one of the higher ones!

IIRC Regina was number one.

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Cool, I didn't know that Deane. I am guessing that Saint John would be way down on that list!

Old 12-20-2010 | 07:46 PM
-MN G Crew-
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
More snow today! My moms Altima is so terrible in this deep snow that she barelly got home and span off probably half of her tread. Hills were a no go and unplowed neighborhoods were the cars nemesis. I took it for a drive and it was just awful.

My G however? Brilliant! I drove my dad to the health club (a nonbeliever in snow tires) and he didn't even say a word. All his "they wont even make a difference" banter backfired as the G plowed through deep snow like it was a sunny sunday morning in July Just epic! I love being able to say "I told you so" to my dad. It is a great feeling especially after you have known him for so long lol

Heres a couple shots.

Beastin'

And my Continental ExtremeWinterContacts.

Old 12-20-2010 | 07:49 PM
Right on Janik, I do believe we have a convert

I remember a few years ago when you questioned the need for winter tires

Old 12-20-2010 | 08:10 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
^+1

I do remember too. Great to see another snow tire ambassador. Way to go Janik.

I didn't like reading that about the Altima though.

Old 12-20-2010 | 08:17 PM
^+1

Yes I was shocked to read that also Deane. That Altima with front wheel drive and winters should be fantastic in the snow.
Hey Deane, I bet your Alty is fantastic in the snow

Old 12-20-2010 | 09:09 PM
-MN G Crew-
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
Originally Posted by GEE35FX
Right on Janik, I do believe we have a convert

I remember a few years ago when you questioned the need for winter tires
Yea, i remember that. Didn't realize that they made that big of a difference.
^+1

Yes I was shocked to read that also Deane. That Altima with front wheel drive and winters should be fantastic in the snow.
My mom actually came home, swearing and extremely pissed off/scared lol and we went directly to tire rack and priced out some cheap snow tires for it. Unfortunately, my dad doesn't "want another set of tires in the garage" and "we already have a 4X4 pickup and a car with snow tires" so he said no, but she is gonna keep pestering him and start driving the truck on snowy days and leaving him with the unmovable Altima Doesn't work very well because it has really bad Continental ContiProcontact all seasons that are just kinda... meh.

Old 12-20-2010 | 09:28 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Yea, i remember that. Didn't realize that they made that big of a difference.
I remember you arguing with me a number of times in the past about the need for winter tires. Glad to see you understand their importance now.

Great pics btw, I love that first pic of your G in the snow!

Old 12-20-2010 | 09:48 PM
-MN G Crew-
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
Helps when you aren't young and dumb, Shane.

Heres one more pic in a little deeper snow. What worried me though, was my car got stuck after taking this pic lol I had to back up and get a running start over the little ridge i made lol.

Old 12-21-2010 | 06:56 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
I'm sure we'll find out. After reading Janiks recent post I see she didn't have snows. That explains it. I've got the WS60's in new condition.

Old 12-21-2010 | 08:08 AM
My Altima was like a tank in the snow with snow tires...never got stuck once in 4 years of winter driving. I remember a few years ago there was a fantastic storm around the middle December and my wife and I were stuck in a motel in Niagara Falls. The city was almost shut down and I went out in my Altima just for fun. I was blowing by everyone....Audi's, Explorers, and most anything else with all seasons on. I even drive right up Clifton Hill without hesitation and no one else was trying that. Dedicated snow tires FTW!

Old 12-21-2010 | 01:06 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
And the heavy rains and winds continue. Although the river that my property borders is extremely high, I am in no danger of flooding as I'm up quite high from it. Unfortunately, many people here in southern NB aren't so lucky.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...page_category1

And this is a video taken in St. George, which is about 45 mins from my house.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/you...8675/flooding/

Old 12-23-2010 | 05:15 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
Unbelievable. I just watched our local news and the amount of damage that's been caused due to the heavy rain, strong winds, and extreme storm surges is absolutely incredible. They stated that the amount of damage caused in NB alone since Dec 1 is estimated at 50 million.

The news showed pictures of Parlee Beach in Shediac and also the sand dunes and boardwalk in Bouctouche. Both beaches have been completely devastated with the beaches and boardwalk completely washed away.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 12-23-2010 at 09:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official Canadian Weather Thread