Canada Serving Canada.

Scratched Rim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2003 | 01:59 AM
|
Scratched Rim

Sorry Guys... I just realized I scratched one of my 18" rims, well... I was extremely upset even now... I'll post the pic later on when I am brave enough to look back at the scratch again... it's all myself...

Well yea yea I know, I should've slap myself a couple times... now I really dunno what to do, leave it for more (touch wood) then fix it later or fix it soon... cuz I know Myself = worse driver...

YES YES I KNOW I SUCK... er.... [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[b][i]G35cp-5AT+PerformPk+Silverstone/graphite+AllTinted
See me? Light twice, honk once then smile

Old 06-08-2003 | 03:56 AM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Re: Scratched Rim

Don't be too hard on yourself, girl, These rims scratch so easily whether from touching a curb, or banging into the guide rail at the local car wash.
The tire doesn't protect the rim much because the rim sits almost flush with the tire.
Check around GTA. There are places that do that repair.G/L
[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 06-08-2003 | 07:10 AM

don't worry about it, everyone does it without knowing. not sure which area you live in but there is a bodyshop on Warden and Ellsemere. the shop is called Autostyle, they would send it out and get it repaired. not too sure if it is cheaper to go directly to a rim repair shop but i got my old car done there and turned out good. price wise, i am not too sure. you can also called or go to Wheels-direct and ask them where to go. some of the guys are there are helpful. let me know if you need any more info.

Old 06-08-2003 | 09:38 AM

Sorry to hear that.... I have scratched my rims too [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I have found a place that can fix the rim within a day... and the guy is getting some titanium color so that it matches with our rim...

Old 06-08-2003 | 11:01 AM

i scratched one of my rims too but hey, its a car, its meant to be driven and theres going to wear and tear on it. i dont get that upset anymore I try to focus on the positives and enjoy the ride. i might wait till the winter to get them fixed once they're off the car, for now its summer time!!!!!!!

03 G35 coupe SS (GD) 6spd everything but navi
02 QX4 pearl white
00 528 Silver on black

Old 06-08-2003 | 03:19 PM
|

Thanx so much for the support guys, really appreciate it. Now I do feel better, this morning I was looking back at it and I think if I kinda clean off the curb paint a bit, it shouldn't be that noticeable, well still it is to me... but yea...

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

PBB: I have found a place that can fix the rim within a day... and the guy is getting some titanium color so that it matches with our rim...

<hr></blockquote>

One thing I am still worrying is that the graphite color wouldn't match if I decided to refinish it...

Once again, thanx so so much guys. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2003 | 08:09 PM

Hi there,

I too scratched both rims actually within first few weeks..I actually was depressed, upset, angry about it b/c I am a very meticulous, picky, perfectionisitic type of individual. Yes I stressed for a few days..but I had to get it repaired so that I could sleep at nights. I pretty much know the best Auto Body Shop in the city..this guy worked on my rims..he did a superb job..he only deals with high end, sports luxury vehicles..the guy is pretty much a doctor or artist in this field..he knows his [censored] and very good in this field. If you want to get it repaired let me know and I will refer you to him etc..Sending the rims out will not work..most places will not be able to re finish the rims b/c of the highly complex process used by Infiniti Japan Production line. There are actually 3 layers of paint that allow for that dark chrome look..they are white, black, and chrome finish..three layers of paint..this guy will do it in this manner. Hes phenomenal!

the problem is b/c the rims come outwards

Old 06-08-2003 | 10:34 PM
|

TG35c: Thanx so so much for the info

Do U see any differences between the rims after it's done??? And roughly for one rim how much we are looking at here?

Old 06-08-2003 | 10:44 PM

I also stratched my rim while turning a corner at night. Bugged the crap out of me for a few days. What I did was use very fine sandpaper to clean and smooth out the damaged area. Then used touch up paint applying a few layers. The touch up paint is a close proximation to the color of the rims. I picked up the touch up paint at Walmart.

The scratch is now hardly noticeable unless you look really closely. This will have to do until this winter when snowtire rims will be slapped on.

A friend of mine also referred me to this place. Check it out at www.wheelfix.com

The Wheel Fix
1041 Hwy. 47
Uxbridge, Ontario
L9P 1R3
CANADA

Phone: +1 (905) 985-4758
Fax: +1 (905) 985-5272
E-Mail: questions@wheelfix.com

Old 06-08-2003 | 11:36 PM
|

Thanx guy, I suppose UR's is a coupe rite? So what's the code# of the touchup paint from Walmart?

Old 06-09-2003 | 09:30 PM
From: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

Pretty,
Glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering. Yeah, the folks are right, the rims are gorgeous, but they are not meant for real people driving on real roads. Great for the rich and famous, who have valet parking and money to sue that valet's a.. when he dings a wheel, but alas, for us mere mortals, curbs are the enemy. It was my first blemish- I was literally run off the road (well, I had a choice: the choice was "allow bozo to swipe the entire left side of the car off, or move further right in a blink.") I went for option 2, and found the curb with my 18". Scratch is on the passenger side front, I don't look at it. I pretend it's not there, all the while contemplating my next set of wheels. With my last car, I drove the stock wheels until I was confortable turning them into my "winters," then sprung for some aftermarket (imho BBS are #1) wheels. Check out the offerings for the G at tirerack.com.
Well P, looks like you've seen the whole spectrum of solutions- top notch pricier repair, economical repair, no repair. Great thread, since it's affected many. Thank you guys- now we know some of the places to check out for repairs. I haven't decided yet if I want to fix or forget. For those who have done a repair, any photos?
Cheers,
Derek

P.S. Having a 112.2" wheelbase and 60.8" track doesn't help matters for slow speed turning and parking- for perspective, our wheelbase is darn-near a foot and a half longer than that of a Boxter!

DB

Old 06-10-2003 | 09:42 AM

Sorry to hear that PrettyP. I guess one of the reason you coupe guys are getting scratched rims are because of the nice set of Z rated hard sidewall tires. They sure look nice, but does little to protect the rim from curbs once you hit it...

G35: Black with Willow/Canadian Premium Package.
Z3: Silver with Red leather interior.

Old 06-10-2003 | 07:52 PM

The touch up paint I picked up was by Dupli-Color
Import Touch Up. Code 77-01150B Mazda Silver Stone Clear Coat. This is a close approximation to the color of the rims.

Old 06-10-2003 | 10:52 PM

I dropped one of my rims while changing the winters (ugh). Local place wanted $150 to fix it, so after obsessing over it for a few weeks, I decided to live with it.. it's barely noticable. Did anyone notice at the meet? no? well, if a bunch of G35 geeks didn't notice, maybe no one else will

Old 06-22-2003 | 07:13 PM
|

DP: I went to check 3 Walmarts already and I couldn't find the exact color, where did U get URs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scratched Rim