Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2005 | 11:34 PM
|
Winter Storage

K other then disconnect the battery, leave an open box of baking powder, fill her up with gas, what else should I need. The car will be in the garage and is heated, and i plan to work on the car during the winter time.

SO no car cover, and tires are now fill with nitrogen. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-2005 | 11:57 PM
I put in some fuel stabilizer in mine.

Old 11-12-2005 | 01:53 AM
Administrator
It's a good idea to change the oil the last time you run the car. The fuel stabilizer is a must. Also, put the car up on blocks to prevent flat-spotting the tires. If there is a chance of rodents, you might want to stuff something in the tail pipe, etc to make sure nothing nests in there.

Old 11-12-2005 | 10:09 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
All of the above.
The other important consideration is with the windows. If you disconnect the battery the windows will not drop when when opening and most importantly for closing. You should open them slightly before disconnecting the battery to eliminate the risk of damage to your roof when closing the door.
Stuffing steel wool in the tail pipe works best. Leave yourself a note in the car to remind you what to do before starting it back up though!

Old 11-12-2005 | 10:27 AM
One important point with the fuel stabilizer is after you put it in make sure you run the car for a while so the stabilizer goes through the fuel system. That way all of the gas is protected and stays fresh for long term storage. I have always followed that procedure with my boats and I treat up to 100 gallons of gas for winter storage and have never had a problem.

Old 11-13-2005 | 07:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by GEE35X
One important point with the fuel stabilizer is after you put it in make sure you run the car for a while so the stabilizer goes through the fuel system. That way all of the gas is protected and stays fresh for long term storage. I have always followed that procedure with my boats and I treat up to 100 gallons of gas for winter storage and have never had a problem.
Crappy Tire should have the fuel stabilizer right?

Old 11-13-2005 | 08:00 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Yep. Walmart etc. Mix it correctly and run car for 10 minutes or so.

Old 11-14-2005 | 01:07 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
Yep. Walmart etc. Mix it correctly and run car for 10 minutes or so.
Good time to change the oil after this final run, and put your baby to sleep.

BTW, the fuel stabilizer works well when you put your other small engines (lawn mower, snow blower, etc.) to sleep as well. Makes it much easier to start the next season.

Old 11-14-2005 | 03:35 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Don't forget, too guys, to fill up your tires with free Nitrogen at Costco. That will cut down on corrsion and leakage over the winter months.
C.

Old 11-14-2005 | 06:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Don't forget, too guys, to fill up your tires with free Nitrogen at Costco. That will cut down on corrsion and leakage over the winter months.
C.
K there is a few brands at crappy tire sta-bli and some other one. Which should I get and what should I look for.

- Got the free nitrogen

- I don't think i will put the car on blocks for the fact that I will be working on it and climbing in and out of the car. Plus I will start my car once in a while just not driving it out of my driveway.

- I will disconnect the battery (with the windows roll down just a little bit.)

- baksing poweder inside the car so no moisture builds up and keep the car smelling fresh.

Anything else?

Old 11-14-2005 | 06:47 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by God|ZIlla168
K there is a few brands at crappy tire sta-bli and some other one. Which should I get and what should I look for.

- Got the free nitrogen

- I don't think i will put the car on blocks for the fact that I will be working on it and climbing in and out of the car. Plus I will start my car once in a while just not driving it out of my driveway.

- I will disconnect the battery (with the windows roll down just a little bit.)

- baksing poweder inside the car so no moisture builds up and keep the car smelling fresh.

Anything else?
Eric,
I use the Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer made by Gold Eagle, (from CTC), but any of them should do so long as you mix in the right proportions.

Make sure the oil and filter are changed and the fuel tank is full too.
A coat of wax would be good to help protect her during the winter months.

C.

Old 11-14-2005 | 08:09 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by God|ZIlla168
- ...... Plus I will start my car once in a while just not driving it out of my driveway.
Eric, this an idea shared by many, however.....
it is not a good thing to do.

Starting it like this will only lead to moisture buildup from condensation.
If you want to start the car you need to take it for a run & really warm it up (15 -20 min drive) not just idle in the driveway.

Old 11-14-2005 | 08:52 PM
what other things need to be consider if the car is stored in a non-heated garage?

Old 11-14-2005 | 09:27 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
I've been storing a car in the winter for decades now and everything mentioned above is all I do.

Old 11-14-2005 | 09:29 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Good time to change the oil after this final run, and put your baby to sleep.

BTW, the fuel stabilizer works well when you put your other small engines (lawn mower, snow blower, etc.) to sleep as well. Makes it much easier to start the next season.
Yep, if you're storing it at home that works well.

I do this too with the snowblower, chain saw, mower and edge trimmer. I agree they start up easily the next season that way, as I just found out with my snowblower.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage