Canada Serving Canada.

Fender bender in parking lot - what are our options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reply...

Originally Posted by PDT
From my understanding, and my friend confirmed this with me (he works at a bodyshop) that this incident occured on private property. Insurance purposes, this falls under the no fault area of our insurance. If a claim goes in, her insurance will go up. She'll be paying for it for the next 5 years.
PDT is right, the claim act like a loan which will be paid throughout 6* years (6 years to have the accident record write off, but ur primum usually goes down when ur approching to 6yrs)

Originally Posted by togee
I read recently an article on auto insurance and my recollection is that the article said that the fault for any collision in a parking lot is assigned 50/50 by the insurance companies so even if the other guy hit you, you are still liable for 50%, which means your insurance premiums will go up. I don't know if that changes if you have witnesses who saw the other guy hit you. Seems unfair that your premiums go up if it wasn't your fault but it wouldn't surprise me if that's what insurance companies do.

Dont think the article is true. Ill tell you my little story
Last month, a careless driver rush into my passenger door through 2+ parking spaces. She thought a short cut would save her more time driving out of the underground parking lot, but instead she run into my front right side fender, 2X right side doors, and rear right side fender was hit... I asked her how is she gonna pay for this, she told me throguh insurance. I thought if i call the police they will come and become the witness (There was no one at the scene and my gf in the car cannot be the witness), but they told me its a private property, and police will not come. I contact my broker, the first thing he ask me is "did she admit the accident is her fault", "Any witness at the scene" "did you get her contact number and all the information"... Then I drive myself to the collision centre, file accident report on the collision side, and then go to the police side to file another police report. Draw the picture for them. And few days later i got a claim number...insurance will cover everything, even rentle. which means it not my fault. I guess im just a lucky guy... The best way for both car in a small accident like this is to deal it privately.

Things you do when you get hit:
1. DO NOT MOVE THE CAR EVEN 10MILLION CARS ARE BLOCKED BY THIS ACIDENT.
2. DO NOT MOVE THE CAR UNTIL YOU HAVE A WITNESS
3. The witness MUST hear that the other driver admit their 100% at fault!!!
4. Ask the guy/girl to admit that the accident is their fault. Even better, write it down and ask him/her to sign.
5. Contact info of the other car, and most important is the witness info TOO.
6. Contact your car insurance agent/broker.
7. File the report at collision centre.

Just trying to protect you all from your rights in a unfortunate event

Ps. if i miss anything or anything i did was wrong please correct me.