Old 03-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you treat it right then it should last about 6 months

Old 03-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Geese35
Hi,

Quick questions from a newbie. I'd PM you but others might be interested in the answer. I bought my '04 TB sedan last month and it could really use your magic. I was wondering how long all of your hard work lasts under normal driving conditions? When does the detailing magic wear off and another session needed?
There are two answers to that.

The sealants/waxes I use tend to last between 4-6 months. If I use a wax I will seal under it, so you'll be protected for a solid 4-6 months. That means every time you wash the car it will continue to have that "hey look at me, I am waxed" shine.

Now, that said, it is important to note that the cars you linked pictures of were polished. Polishing is a preparation step that removes the swirls and scratches in the paint and brightens it, gives it gloss, etc. It is the step that really makes a car "shine". Polishing lasts forever *provided* you don't re-scratch and swirl the car. Polishing isn't so much a product as a process, so the process removes some paint to leave you swirl and scratch free, and the paint will remain that way indefinitely provided you wash and dry it properly.

In general, assuming my clients wash properly, I recommend two visits a year. One in the spring to lightly polish out any swirls accumulated through the year, and to seal the paint. Then in fall to re-seal for winter. Rinse and repeat.

I hope that helps.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:25 PM
^ Thanks for the detailed response. Getting some touch up paint done and will contact you directly sometime to schedule something.

Can you elaborate a little on the protective qualities of the wax so I can convince...ahem, tell the wife? Also looking to get a clear bra installed. Should I do it before or after a session?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI
I'll try to look at this purely from an objective standpoint and give you the reasons I'd give to a skeptic to protect their paint.

Well maintained paint will last longer, like anything. There have been studies!

Not only that, but sealed and protected paint will last longer while looking better. The primary reason you seal/wax is to prevent UV fade and oxidation. I promise you've all seen red cars that look pink, black ones that look grey, etc.

A car with healthy paint that is in good shape will have a higher resale value. How much higher? More than you think. On cars like Infiniti's, BMWs, Acuras, Lexus, etc you can easily add 8-10% to a private sale price on a car with marring free, well maintained paint, versus an "average" or "poor" car. How do I know? When I bought my G I got an additional $3000 off because the paint was in such bad shape (the car was in excellent shape otherwise). I fixed it myself. That was, at the time, 12% of the value of the car.

Not only that, but a well maintained exterior gives the impression that the entire car has been well maintained (which is normally true). Want to scare a buyer? Show them a car with crap all over the leather seats, gunk in the wells, muddy, dirty, scratched... This applies to more than just paint too. Treating your rubber gaskets, moldings, trim - it'll keep it black and supple, rather than brittle and grey. Not a good look, and not easy to fix (or cheap)...

Spending some time and money on it now will save you time and money later. Sounds like, right? It's true - removing deep swirls, bird crap etchings, oxidation, acid rain, sap, etc, takes a lot of time and is pricey. My "Multi-step compound package" is $400 and takes 8-10 hours. A well maintained car will never need something like that done to it. So not only will you be left with more paint (paint I would have to remove to restore the car), but you'll save down the road just keeping it looking good now.

It looks good. Seriously, we don't buy these cars because they are ugly. If you're on a car forum I can pretty much guarantee you want your ride to look nice. Wash it properly, seal twice a year and it will look good pretty much all the time.

Nevermind the little things like - keep the new car smell longer (as in, forever), keep foul odors from the inside, keep leather supple and moisturized, prevent dash fade, keep windows clean to increase visibility....

Here are a lot more: http://autopia.org/forum/professiona...detailed.html?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
^ sounds good to me Thanks for the info. Lots of good points. I checked your website and I'll call you when I am ready to schedule a session with a few more detailed questions.

So about the Clear bra , should I have the multi compound before and how does the bra effect a car polish?

Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Oh whoops, forgot that one. Do you have swirls where the bra will be? If so, you should get it detailed before the bra. If not, do the bra first.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Pics?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Kevin,

Amazing pictures as usual! What else do you expect from one of the best detailers in the industry

George

Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 PM
geez kevin, you've got a busy spring lined up! Can't even book an appointment with you til JUNE! At least now I can get my body kit on first before handing her over to your magic hands!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Staff ALUMNI
I know man, sorry for guys who are put off by the schedule. I wish there were more hours in the day, truly. I can't complain about being busy though; I just hate having to turn guys down because I am booked up.

But ya, get that kit on then come see me.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:17 PM
zaino z-cs ?

Kevin, any thoughts/experience re this stuff yet?

You just did my G last week with Z5 Pro right? Reading about Z-CS it looks like it's something that might be a nice (and relatively easy) maintenance product on top of what you did. I know you said the Z5 would last really well anyway so I'm not looking for overkill, but it sounded interesting.

Maybe this stuff plus the Z6 gloss enhancer on a nice weekend (if we ever get one)? Oh boy...I'm in trouble...clearly got the bug. I blame you (and Autopia).

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=1

Old 04-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by 'G'TA
Kevin, any thoughts/experience re this stuff yet?

You just did my G last week with Z5 Pro right? Reading about Z-CS it looks like it's something that might be a nice (and relatively easy) maintenance product on top of what you did. I know you said the Z5 would last really well anyway so I'm not looking for overkill, but it sounded interesting.

Maybe this stuff plus the Z6 gloss enhancer on a nice weekend (if we ever get one)? Oh boy...I'm in trouble...clearly got the bug. I blame you (and Autopia).

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=1
Haha, get ready to spend some money.

Alright, here is the deal on CS. I have it, it's a good product - very easy to use and looks good. Great durability. I don't like the look on black quite as well as Z5pro; I think it's kind of too much work for a maintenance product... I'd *personally* stick with Zaino Z8 after washes, say, once a month. That will extend the durability of the Z5pro I used and looks really great. It's locally available too (The Baraber's Chair in Square One).

Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Staff ALUMNI
I can't believe I am saying it, but I had to stop talking appointments. I am booked until June 17th right now. I am blessed to be so busy, and it is in large part thanks to the G35driver guys; but man, I have to admit I am shocked.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
You mean, I should stop passing your name around ??

Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Haha, no no. I just feel bad when people call. It's been like this for the past week:

them: hi kevin, I'd like to book an appointment for some time next week!
me: Er... I am booked until June 18th.
them: ....

=/

I just feel crummy about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobile-Detailing in the GTA