Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

question about *swirl marks* after polisher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about *swirl marks*

i got these nasty marks after i used the polisher, you can see excatly where the polisher passed, its more like lines all over wax help a little but after the wax starts to wear off its gets real bad, i need help PLEASE, btw i used 3m protect-it II with the polisher

Last edited by driguez; 09-02-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Was the pad dirty? Sounds like it had some grains of sand in it and when you went over it with the polisher, it scratched the paint. Depending on how deep the scratch is, you can buff it out. I'll require some work though.

What kind of polisher do you have? Pics might help.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by badtziscool
Was the pad dirty? Sounds like it had some grains of sand in it and when you went over it with the polisher, it scratched the paint. Depending on how deep the scratch is, you can buff it out. I'll require some work though.

What kind of polisher do you have? Pics might help.
its not really sand like scratches, its lines from the polisher, like you can see where the polisher was passed, lines are maybe an inch wide, you can only see them on direct sunlight, nyways i will post some pics tomorrow on daylight, as far as what kind of polisher it is i cant really tell, its an old one my pops uses.... how can i get them off? what can i use? dif pad?

Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 PM
if it is a sort of haze where you can see where the polisher went over this is normal if you broke down the product too much. Did you notice a lot of dusting while you were using the swirl compound? If so, you are going at it too long with too little product. I would suggest using an all-in-one polisher like Klasse AIO or FP after you compound with the PC. Set your PC to like 4 and go over with the polish. This should get out the hazing left behind.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
do you use multiple pads, varying from coarse to fine? there are different pads for different purposes, just like there are different polishes for the same reason. use a fine foam pad with a sealer or finishing polish.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:36 AM
what machine/pad did you use. Any pics of the swirls?

3m perfect it 2 should not create visible swirls

Old 08-22-2006, 04:34 AM
I had this from the dealership when I bought it used. Paint had swirls and scratches everywhere (clear coat). I just had it done professionally for about $150 including getting my headlights de-hazed. I must say it got out about 85% of the paint flaws. The rest would need wet sanding to be perfect, but I am okay with how it looks now.
If you are not confident enough to redo it, then I say go professional. Maybe the person will show you a few tips for next time as well.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Concours d'Elegance
They are called "buffer holograms" and are caused by an inexperienced user not finishing down on a lower speed, softer pad, and lighter polish.

I've been using a rotary for about 4 years now and here's what I deal with a lot...

After compounding it looks like this (haze, holograms, buffer marks)

When completed (after final finishing polish and finishing pad on a lower speed via rotary)

Questions?

Old 08-22-2006, 08:43 AM
As stated above, it is not due to the product being broken down TOO much, it is from not using proper increments for your final polish. I see a LOT of people have this issue with some of the swirl removers like Poorboys SSR2.5. Just like with wetsanding, you have to use multiple steps to get things just right.

That Caddy is a GREAT illustration of the steps.

-GT

Old 08-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by G35stilez
They are called "buffer holograms" and are caused by an inexperienced user not finishing down on a lower speed, softer pad, and lighter polish.

I've been using a rotary for about 4 years now and here's what I deal with a lot...

After compounding it looks like this (haze, holograms, buffer marks)

When completed (after final finishing polish and finishing pad on a lower speed via rotary)

Questions?

thats exactly what it is (2nd pic), so what do you recomend? what product should i buy and what do to fix it? thanx

Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you please tell us what pads and what speed you usedon your rotary to get results like your Cadillac?

Old 08-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Concours d'Elegance
I used Menzerna PO85RD via rotary and a Lake Country Finishing Pad @ 1500 rpm on the rotary.

Since that polish is recently discontinued, I would get some Menzerna Final Polish II and do the same steps. Make sure you work the polish in until it's transparent.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by G35stilez
I used Menzerna PO85RD via rotary and a Lake Country Finishing Pad @ 1500 rpm on the rotary.

Since that polish is recently discontinued, I would get some Menzerna Final Polish II and do the same steps. Make sure you work the polish in until it's transparent.
thanx, check your pms

Old 08-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by driguez
thats exactly what it is (2nd pic), so what do you recomend? what product should i buy and what do to fix it? thanx
3m perfect it II is a compound, or at least the one i use is, did you polish after you compunded? if not it doesnt matter how experienced you are, compound makes those marks, follow with polish, like 3m swirl remover (if your a 3m fan) and move slower with the polish

Old 08-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
get some of this
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...eme_us_aad_3_0
it will take those out. Put it on and wipe it off, its better if it doesnt dry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: question about *swirl marks* after polisher