Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Alternative to Claybar?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alternative to Claybar?

Is there a good SAFE alternative product for Claybar? I don't want to take any chances...

Thanks in advance...

Old 10-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay is plenty safe. The key point to not screwing it up is:

Before you start using, break it half and use half at a time. If you drop it on the ground, toss it and use the other half.

Knead the clay often

You should follow up with a polish.

In regards to an alternative, you may want to check out the AUTOPIA.ORG site. I think Adams or FK makes a chemical (2-3 step process I believe) that supposedly works pretty well!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 AM
what are the steps to using claybars i dont underrstand what they are, i have never used them, just carwash and turtle wax

Old 10-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Clay is relatively safe if you use plenty of clay lube, knead the clay frequently, use a clean piece of clay and thoroughly clean the vehicle before using the clay. There is a lot of good info on How To use clay bar at this link.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMCFE
Is there a good SAFE alternative product for Claybar? I don't want to take any chances...

Thanks in advance...
A good paint cleaner like Meg's #80 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP), used correctly, is a safe alternative especially is used by hand. Using a clay bar is also safe if you follow the advice given in the other replies. Many people go from clay to polish, or clay to wax. A real detail would go from clay to cleaner to polish to glaze to wax. Clay is best when you have lot's of surface deposits...then again the DACP with a Porter Cable rotary would do the same... In this case clay would be cheaper and safer if you've never used a rotary.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:35 PM
No paint cleaner is a sufficient substitute for claying. Claying removes the contaminants stuck in the surface of the paint. It does this by grabbing and pulling them out as you pass over the surface. Chemical cleaners cannot do this. I have clayed many cars. It is simple. Just make sure you follow the directions listed by others above. Also make sure that you use plenty of quick detailer or clay lube. If the clay is easily sliding with no sticking, you are good to go as far as amount of lube. Use no pressure on the clay. Just let it glide over the surface of the paint as you work it back and forth. It is really simple to use and you can FEEL the difference between clayed and unclayed paint immediately. It makes polishing and waxing easier too. You should clay at least once a year.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Cassman
No paint cleaner is a sufficient substitute for claying. Claying removes the contaminants stuck in the surface of the paint. It does this by grabbing and pulling them out as you pass over the surface.
Exactly. Also, claybars are not created equal. Some are much more abrasive than others and will lead to marring even if the car were to be submerged in a pool of clay lube.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:47 PM
i dont understand how u can screw up with claybars ...

just avoid the temptation to toss the bar into a pit of sand and then immediately using it on ur car.

Hell, it's just as unsafe as dropping your wash mit/applicator on the ground and using it again on the paint.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Always keep the claybar lubricated. Other than that, and the common sense of keeping it off the ground, claybar will make a HUGE difference.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've used Mother's Clay and it comes with a bottle of detailer spray (Showstopper I think). Like everyone else said, just spray on the car and a bit on the half bar of clay (make sure you are not doing this in the sun as the spray will dry faster) and gently rub back and forth. You can hear it working: it sorta sounds like you are pulling tape off of your car. I usually do this motion in about 6 inches of the car and for about 20 seconds or so (depending how dirty the car is). Once you are done on that spot, spray a little more on that spot and wipe off. That's it. Very easy.