Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2007 | 12:42 AM
|
Clear Bra

I know this has been brought up many times on the forum and I did a search on it too..

Basically I am VERY unhappy with all the rock chips and dings my car is getting.. I feel like its just this car! My previous cars never had rock chips this bad and even after 7 years! I have had this car three months and it has a TON of chips..

I asked the dealer and he said its because the car sits so low??

Basically.. my bumper already has some rock chip damage.. so my question is do I just let it go and whatever happens .. happens..

or do I get a clear bra and just seal in whats already there?

I personally cant stand the line of a clear bra.. so I'd either have to do the entire hood or do it just below the hood.. I don't want a line across my hood..

Any ideas??? suggestions??

Old 03-26-2007 | 12:54 AM
Personally, since the damage is already done, I would wait until it becomes unbearable to look at. Get it painted, and then clear bra it.

Old 03-26-2007 | 01:01 AM
|
Originally Posted by kewltea
Personally, since the damage is already done, I would wait until it becomes unbearable to look at. Get it painted, and then clear bra it.
I REALLY want to avoid repainting it.. I'd probably buy another G before I'd repaint it.. just bad experiences.. my husband says I should just clear bra it now before its too late and then I cant..

but I do have a thing from the dealer for 3 years to get my front end repainted due to a flaw in the paint when I got it.. but again its never the same then when it came from the factory...

Old 03-26-2007 | 02:33 AM
I had a 2K Maxima before this car, and I noticed chips on it the day I brought it home.

I had a clear bra installed the day after I got this car, and its been great. I'd rather have the barely visible line than a bunch of chips on the front bumper. That said, the paint on this car does seem to be more durable quality than what I had on the Maxima, because I had chips all over on it, not just the front bumper.

I just washed her again today, and didn't notice any new blems in the paint. It's been real nice that way, so far.

Old 03-26-2007 | 08:03 AM
Bad Toro
Staff Alumni
At this point in time, I would probably bite my lips and let it go. I think it's too late and probably defeats the purpose of getting a bra in the first place. If however in the future, god forbid, your bumper get damaged and replaced - clear bra that sucker immediately.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2007 | 08:12 AM
I am wondering the same thing.... I just got back from a roadtrip from VA to Pittsburgh (holy hell PA Roads SUCK!) to DC back to Winchester, VA. My car looked HORRIBLE when I got back. I felt lucky just to make it back with all 4 wheels and tires after some of those potholes! At any rate, I have 2-3 BIG chips WAY up my hood, nearly to the windshield in addition to the front and grill being peppered with them. This is getting ridiculous!

Whats the point of spending a ton of money on a clear bra at this point though, its so sad. I have 2600 miles- Looks like I wont be keeping this car too long. Then again, whats it going to be worth for trade in if it looks like some 1/2 primered ricer?

Old 03-26-2007 | 08:23 AM
I've had my car for a month already (~600 miles on her), and i noticed rock chips the day I brought it home. I had to wait 6 days for the 3M clear bra to be installed, so i tried to limit driving it. Even so, the chips were inevitable, especially with the salt/sand ridden highways of MA/RI. If they install the clear bra OVER the chips, it will be noticable on the the 3M. On mine - it looks like a tiny bubble over the paint chip. I only notice it because its my car, I doubt anyone else would.

The line is barely noticable either, and like what detracti said, I would rather have that than a front bumper that looks like it lost a game of dodge ball...

Old 03-26-2007 | 11:06 AM
Premier Member
IsaG35 ... Kinda hard to throw in my .02 unless I see pics of the chips you are referring to. Any chance you want to do that so we can see how bad it is and where they are located?

Old 03-26-2007 | 03:48 PM
rock chips - or soft paint?

I got my G clear bra'ed on day 2. by then I had already put 120 miles on it and the guy who put on the bra told me he say a couple chips "but wont tell me" so I dont keep staring at them.

Since then I have had peace of mind and the front looks quite good after almost 2500 miles of driving in decent traffic, trucks, etc.

I even got a small chip on my windshield on day 5 of my car (damn!)

the paint does look soft from the way the rock chip leaves a streak mark (really small, under 1-2mm) - kind of like a meteor hitting and bouncing off...

I compared against my other cars, Jeep, Honda Civic, and they never took this much damage this early... what gives?

Old 03-26-2007 | 03:55 PM
id get the clear bra. the line across the hood is a small price to pay for what it does. my car came with a clear bra installed by the dealer. i wouldnt have done it if it wasnt ont he car already (tho i always thoguth about it, i never pulled the trigger).

Old 03-27-2007 | 01:22 AM
I got clear bra 2 days after delivery and I didn't really drive it the first 2 days. I just drove our 3rd vehicle until clear bra was on the G. If you have a sport, the front end has to be done in 2 pieces, so you will get small lines. My clear bra goes about 1/3 up the hood from the front.

I Zainoed my car first time last weekend and noticed a chip about 3 inches past where the clear bra ends. No chips in the clear bra, so the product does work. Now I wish I had the whole hood done.

Old 03-27-2007 | 02:46 AM
|
I will try to post some pics..

I had a 2000 Maxima and I swear it never had chips like this and I had it 7 years!

Our 2007 Titan has no chips and 06 Murano has no chips either.. I am lost because I barely drive it on the freeway

Old 03-27-2007 | 08:08 AM
CPB
The clear bra stuff in not the best looking mod you can do, but I've put it on my last 2 cars.

There is so much sand dumped on the roads in New England, you simply cannot prevent the abuse.

I had my 2 previous cars sand blasted. The front ends looked terrible. I do have it on the G35 and my other car and it really seems to defend against the paint damage.

Old 04-06-2007 | 10:27 AM
then clear bra the whole hood. These guys did it for me www.premiermobilegroup.com and do a lot of exotics. Last time I was there they had the Veyron and a Carrera GT inside next to my humble G.

Old 04-06-2007 | 11:14 AM
will the infiniti dealer install the clear bra for ya .... how much is it for a clear bra fo the sedans ...

holla!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra