Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Egg shell scratches.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007 | 12:04 AM
|
Egg shell scratches.

so...the title says it all basically. couple of months back my car got egged. and it happened atleast 3 times already. and i havent gotten to fix it from the previous. but now im more careful about it keeping it in the garage now. i have bout 8 spots on my car. any suggestions on fixing it with DIY utilities? or buying supplies that would fix it? pretty much the shell scratches are all around the car. driver side, passenger side and trunk and back bumpers. the only ones killin me right now are the driver and passenger and trunk sides cuz i notice them. the bumper i plan on replacing it with a body kit later down the road. or anyone down in the SoCal SFV know of a good place? could meet up and take me to there shop and get a estimate?

Old 11-04-2007 | 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by KurtTabion
so...the title says it all basically. couple of months back my car got egged. and it happened atleast 3 times already. and i havent gotten to fix it from the previous. but now im more careful about it keeping it in the garage now. i have bout 8 spots on my car. any suggestions on fixing it with DIY utilities? or buying supplies that would fix it? pretty much the shell scratches are all around the car. driver side, passenger side and trunk and back bumpers. the only ones killin me right now are the driver and passenger and trunk sides cuz i notice them. the bumper i plan on replacing it with a body kit later down the road. or anyone down in the SoCal SFV know of a good place? could meet up and take me to there shop and get a estimate?
that sucks. if there not deep enough you may be able to buff them out with a little scratch-x. people are inconsiderate punks who mess with other people stuff. if i caught someone egging my car i would shove the eggs up their a**!!

i dont know where in cali you are but if you go down to Van Nuys i would look into A&A autobody, they work on a lot of G35's and from what i've seen they do really good work, not overly expensive either.

Last edited by dan|el; 11-04-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2007 | 12:27 AM
maybe try meguiars scratch-x

Old 11-04-2007 | 01:30 AM
^+1 damn that stinks!

Old 11-04-2007 | 01:52 AM
if your fingernail doesn't catch on the scratches they can be polished out.

Old 11-04-2007 | 01:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by dan|el
that sucks. if there not deep enough you may be able to buff them out with a little scratch-x. people are inconsiderate punks who mess with other people stuff. if i caught someone egging my car i would shove the eggs up their a**!!

i dont know where in cali you are but if you go down to Van Nuys i would look into A&A autobody, they work on a lot of G35's and from what i've seen they do really good work, not overly expensive either.
Im by CSUN. 1 block away.

Old 11-05-2007 | 01:00 AM
Meguairs Scartch X is same thing like Meguairs N0.9 they sell at the autoparts store.

Last edited by Scrooge; 11-05-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2007 | 11:36 AM
Most likely you won't be able to get the "scratches" out. They are in a circular pattern if I'm correct.
The egg shell has cut into the paint like a knife( when the egg explodes on contact). Only a repaint/spot paint could do the trick in most cases.

Hopefully in your case, its not that bad.

Good luck with the repair.

Old 11-05-2007 | 11:44 AM
I suggest using a pro to do the work. Shouldn't cost that much and it will be done right without having to try a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. Go to Autopia and find someone in your area. Probably money well spent. They will already have the right tools and products.

Old 11-05-2007 | 08:30 PM
|
so i tried taking the pictures. couldnt really get a clear shot. but yea as 35bills said it was scratched deep. only way is to repaint it. all im looking for now is a shop or maybe i might just save the bills and repaint my whole car later on. i planned on putting a bodykit on it down the road. so i might as well wait right? since the body kit comes unpainted? (am i correct?)

Old 11-05-2007 | 10:34 PM
go to autopia.org and make a post there, they will defin help you out

Old 11-06-2007 | 03:07 PM
Egg Stains / Damage to Paint surface:
As well as the impact damage, egg contains proteins and amino acids that will actually erode the clear coat and eventually the basecoat if not neutralized / removed. If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with water (See also Reactivity)
Automotive International A, B C Decontamination/Neutralization wash system (www.autoint.com)

Saturate the area with Isopropyl Alcohol and keep it ‘wet’ for 4-5 minutes with a soaked towel laid on the stain, do not agitate the surface. Flush with clean water and dry thoroughly. Inspect surface for cracking, discolouration or other damage with a 30X lighted magnifying loupe, use a chemical cleaner to remove any discolouration, and then a suitably abrasive polish to level the paint surface to below the level of the etching (an shallow indentation in the paint surface caused by an acid) then apply a paint protection product. If the clear coat shows signs of failure (cracking) take vehicle to a professional paint / body shop.

After the paint surface has been subjected to a chemical cleaning its protective layer (wax / sealants) have been removed and the paint surface left without protection, so it is very important that a wax or polymer protection be reapplied immediately. To correct any surface marring / light scratching use a mild polish (Zaino PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover, All-In-One (Z-AIO) or Menzerna Final Polish II) using a White or an Orange LC pad, PC speed 5 – 6

Old 11-07-2007 | 03:48 AM
|
nice thanks for the information. i really appreciate it. but the only problem im having is the impact when the eggs explode. the shells just scratches it deep and theres nothin i can do about it cept take it to a body shop. im just looking for one here in SoCal. a one with reputable and good service and friendly. but when i do wash it its usually right away or 20min to an hour after it has it. last and recent event its been egged was when HIN was in LA. 3am in the mornin. the alcohol, can i just use rubbing alcohol?

Old 11-08-2007 | 07:18 AM
but when i do wash it its usually right away or 20min to an hour after it has it. last and recent event its been egged was when HIN was in LA. 3am in the mornin.
Just do it as soon as you can

the alcohol, can i just use rubbing alcohol
Yes

Old 11-08-2007 | 07:32 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by TOGWT
but when i do wash it its usually right away or 20min to an hour after it has it. last and recent event its been egged was when HIN was in LA. 3am in the mornin.
Just do it as soon as you can

the alcohol, can i just use rubbing alcohol
Yes
same thing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Egg shell scratches.