Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

microfiber towel for washing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Question microfiber towel for washing?

I've always used terry cloth towels to wash my 92 Q45 but about a year ago I got some microfiber towels from target. I've used them to wash the car when it's not that dirty.... or as a second wash after washing with terry cloth towels (prior to waxing).

I find that they work OK for washing, but I hate how they cling to the car. I use at least 2 or 3 of them per wash and rinse them before dipping them into the soapy water.

Now that I have an 08 G sedan I want to start off right... is washing with microfiber towels a good idea or not?

Old 05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
yes, but get at least 2 microfiber wash mitts

Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get a sheepskin mitt for washing...I use one for the lower portion of the car & the bumpers and a newer one for the upper portions.

You should get a waffle weave microfiber towel for drying. The quality of the ones sold @ Target & Pepboys have improved but for best results I'd go mail order (Pak Shak is the best).

PM me if you want to get together & detail sometime...I'm in Atlanta also.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I would go with the Microfiber chennile mitts or Sheepskin mitts. Remember to washing the microfiber mitts after every wash, so there free of dirt.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 PM
how about some MF washmitts? i use the griot's one.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
So a microfiber towel/mitt is no more likely to retain grit/dirt than a terry cloth towel, right?

Looks like the fuzzy sheepskin mitt would be a magnet for grit/dirt. Are they machine washable?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I've been detailing my ride and used to do my friends' cars back in the day and this is what I use. Microfiber towel to soap up, rinse off and then dry the car off with a chamois. And of course wash the microfiber towels after every use but don't use any fabric softener or static cling sheets, it leaves residue on the towels. I would never use terry cloth towels, they leave micro scratches on the paint and dull the finish. The fabric is just too abrasive.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:31 PM
the microfiber is more likely to trap dirt yes. i use meg's brush got it on clearance for like 4 bucks one day used it ever since

i either squeegy or use that made in japan absorber thing when drying depeding on if i m lazy or not or sometimes i just race around the block

i also use a stream water to take off soap i dont plaster the car on full blast.... so usually the water just sheets off

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
So a microfiber towel/mitt is no more likely to retain grit/dirt than a terry cloth towel, right?

Looks like the fuzzy sheepskin mitt would be a magnet for grit/dirt. Are they machine washable?
I wash & dry mine with my microfiber towels after each wash/detail. I think it helps them to last longer.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
M/F's tend to trap dirt in them so they're not recommended for washing. Use a sheepskin and dry with M/F waffle weave.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM
if you look at the MF wash mitts 'yarns', they are different construction
from your MF towels. ive been using the griot's ones on a black car.
no issues.

you need to use gritguard and ample shampoo water (5gallons minimum).

Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
M/F's tend to trap dirt in them so they're not recommended for washing. Use a sheepskin and dry with M/F waffle weave.
This is why you rinse them out into the rinse bucket. Sheepskin also pick up dirt. This is why you also rinse this out too.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by irishsig
I've been detailing my ride and used to do my friends' cars back in the day and this is what I use. Microfiber towel to soap up, rinse off and then dry the car off with a chamois. And of course wash the microfiber towels after every use but don't use any fabric softener or static cling sheets, it leaves residue on the towels. I would never use terry cloth towels, they leave micro scratches on the paint and dull the finish. The fabric is just too abrasive.

chamois are a BIG no no for most detailers. since they are flat they can easily catch any lose dirt and the dirt will be dragged across your paint. A good micro fiber waffle weave towel is the way to go because lose dirt particles will more easily go up into the fibers of the towel which will cushion dirt instead of dragging it.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 AM
has anyone ever used those rubber towel things to dry their car after the wash? i tried it once and it really absorbs more water, but i was wondering if it scratches the paint?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by phatice
has anyone ever used those rubber towel things to dry their car after the wash? i tried it once and it really absorbs more water, but i was wondering if it scratches the paint?
Yes it would scratch the paint.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: microfiber towel for washing?