Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Washing car under freezing temperature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Im currently just running to this car wash because, well, it is easy and doesnt take time.

But, does this stuff work when your car looks like this?

You'd think it would just rub the dirt around and scratch the paint, esp when their is ice/snow and standing salt on the paint.

And also, how long does it generally take to wash the car using this method? Is this a once a week thing? Because im extremely **** about dirt on the car and it seems to get dirty right after i wash it so i usually do it again 2 days later...

Thanks for the input, im really looking into this stuff.
Much better at minimizing damage than any carwash could do.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102719

Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im currently just running to this car wash because, well, it is easy and doesnt take time.

But, does this stuff work when your car looks like this?

You'd think it would just rub the dirt around and scratch the paint, esp when their is ice/snow and standing salt on the paint.

And also, how long does it generally take to wash the car using this method? Is this a once a week thing? Because im extremely **** about dirt on the car and it seems to get dirty right after i wash it so i usually do it again 2 days later...

Thanks for the input, im really looking into this stuff.
The simple answer is, "Yes, this stuff works when the car looks like that ^"

The real answer is more complicated. My theory is that ONR's encapsulation properties have a limit. That is to say, at some point, the solution becomes saturated with dirt and at that point all you are really doing is wiping dirt around your car.

If my theory is correct, then the solution is simple. More towels, more rinsing, more time. You might start by just laying a folded MF towel onto the paint, and 'blotting' a 6" x 6" section. Then rinse the towel and go forward with your regular wash technique. You'll need to do multiple passes, use very light pressure, and work in very small sections. You will also need to rinse and/or replace your towel often.

The catch is, you will need to be super slow, careful, and have perfect technique to wash this car properly. No shortcuts, no cutting corners, no nothing. Your margin for error is very very slim.

A simpler solution is to head to a local touch-free car wash, put down $8, and get the car washed. Obviously it won't be perfect, but it will take care of 75% of the dirt so you can safely proceed with an ONR wash back home.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghaleon0721
The simple answer is, "Yes, this stuff works when the car looks like that ^"

The real answer is more complicated. My theory is that ONR's encapsulation properties have a limit. That is to say, at some point, the solution becomes saturated with dirt and at that point all you are really doing is wiping dirt around your car.

If my theory is correct, then the solution is simple. More towels, more rinsing, more time. You might start by just laying a folded MF towel onto the paint, and 'blotting' a 6" x 6" section. Then rinse the towel and go forward with your regular wash technique. You'll need to do multiple passes, use very light pressure, and work in very small sections. You will also need to rinse and/or replace your towel often.

The catch is, you will need to be super slow, careful, and have perfect technique to wash this car properly. No shortcuts, no cutting corners, no nothing. Your margin for error is very very slim.

A simpler solution is to head to a local touch-free car wash, put down $8, and get the car washed. Obviously it won't be perfect, but it will take care of 75% of the dirt so you can safely proceed with an ONR wash back home.
Use a pre rinse with a gallon sprayer

Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
If you have access to heated water, a good pair of gloves is the only other thing you need.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:58 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
What about a DIY car wash and you just bring a bucket and mit? I think thats what i might start doing for my car..

Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Former G35 Sponsor

What about a DIY car wash and you just bring a bucket and mit? I think thats what i might start doing for my car..
Still cold, and you get soaked..or at least I do . You're timed so I'm sure it would be easier and more effective if you ONR'd. There's a lot less chance of marring if you're taking your time. Plus, warm water inside > cold water outside IMO.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 AM
so 2 bucket ONR method. What goes in each bucket? One with ONR mixture, and one with just hot water?

Old 12-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by patent85
so 2 bucket ONR method. What goes in each bucket? One with ONR mixture, and one with just hot water?
Simple answer yes.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Simple answer yes.
Agreed.

Though again, there is a more complex answer. ONR 'encapsulates' the dirt and allows you to remove it from the surface of the car safely. And, as I said earlier, my working theory is that there is a point where the ONR becomes saturated, and dirt actually gets rubbed against the paint. To prevent this, you could just use more ONR. However, in my experience, over use tends to result in nasty streaks and a filmy residue on the paint.

To mitigate this, I will mix ONR into my rinse bucket at about 1/3 or 1/2 the recommended dose. That way, I can leave one mitt in the rinse bucket, and the ONR will help loosen the dirt and release it from the mitt. Since it's such a low-dose, and since it's in the rinse bucket, I don't have to worry about streaking.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:22 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Don @ Migliore
Still cold, and you get soaked..or at least I do . You're timed so I'm sure it would be easier and more effective if you ONR'd. There's a lot less chance of marring if you're taking your time. Plus, warm water inside > cold water outside IMO.
The place i go to is a drive in type place that is heated with heated water.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The place i go to is a drive in type place that is heated with heated water.

your very lucky.. i wish i had a heated place. even wen i spray their hot water onto the car itll freeze asap.