Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wheel Detailing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009 | 11:38 AM
|
Wheel Detailing

Hello,

I have a lot of black dots that wouldn't come off of the wheels... Tried the polisher and no luck... I will be taking pictures later... Is there any other product I can use?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2009 | 11:43 AM
Are they raised? A claybar should get rid of them.

Old 07-16-2009 | 11:55 AM
|
here is the picture....

they are not raised... ><

Old 07-16-2009 | 12:08 PM
looks like pitting to me. not much repairing can be done without refinishing the wheel

Old 07-16-2009 | 12:13 PM
|
Is there way to cover it up without refinishing it... and how much is the average cost to refinish the wheel?

Thanks

Old 07-16-2009 | 07:31 PM
My car had what looked to me paint chips, not like this. But Infiniti did have them powder coated (no charge). I reported this to them w/in days of me taking delivery, but it may be worth a shot if they will refinish for you.

Old 07-16-2009 | 07:37 PM
Mr.202?
Premier Member
I had these on my wheels also. Its smooth right? Theses spots happen because you or someone left what ever was used to clean the wheels to dry on them or what not. I used a compound to take them off (Ultimate compound by meguairs 9.99 at your local store) to remove them. Wash the wheels thoroughly before though to get rid of any dirt.

I have stock wheels.

Edit: in your OP it says you tried "the polisher" I dont know exactly what you mean by this.

Old 07-16-2009 | 07:49 PM
|
i just got into detailing car... (really noob ) i just bought the wheel like this... um... i just bought a random wheel polisher? from the store... yea... but about to drive to get that Ultimate compound!

Thanks!!

Old 07-16-2009 | 07:53 PM
Mr.202?
Premier Member
Originally Posted by chunhamujuk
i just got into detailing car... (really noob ) i just bought the wheel like this... um... i just bought a random wheel polisher? from the store... yea... but about to drive to get that Ultimate compound!

Thanks!!
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...light=rim+dots

The person has the same problem as you but the place that cleaned his car ended up replacing the rims. Good luck hope UC can take them out for you.

Also are your wheels chrome or are they clear coated? if they are pure chrome might also want to pick up a chrome polish

If you have just bought these rims and the dots aren't coming out imo return them

Old 07-16-2009 | 07:57 PM
|
Should I just get repainted?

Old 07-16-2009 | 08:05 PM
• Ensure wheels and rotors are cool before applying cold water as this may cause them to warp.
•Hose off as much initial grime as you can.
•Rinse up into the wheel well to wash away road kill, mud and other debris.
•Use detailing clay and lubrication to remove any embedded contaminants
•Use a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner to remove any road tar or oil. Apply P21S Total Auto Wash to wheel surfaces and let soak in, agitate with a long-handled boar’s haired brush before rinsing
•Spray P21S Wheel Cleaner (Gel or Liquid) this cleaner is 100% acid-free and will not damage any type of wheel finish. (Gel for badly soiled and regular for normal soil) onto wheel rims and lat soak in (for badly soiled surfaces us P21S-Red (422)

Old 07-16-2009 | 08:07 PM
Mr.202?
Premier Member
Should I just get repainted?
try the UC first. But remember to wash them before you use UC.

Work UC by hand don't use that wheel brush or anything like that. Treat your wheels the same as the paint on your car. Apply UC to your applicator or what ever your using and work it in, apply a bit of pressure go back and forth with in a few passes it should clear up if not then you will have to try something else. but this is as far as I know.

good luck

Old 07-16-2009 | 08:08 PM
|
omg you guys are awesome.... hopefully I dont f*** up more hahah!

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2009 | 08:20 PM
Mr.202?
Premier Member

Thanks!
Yea, hope you dont lol. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-17-2009 | 12:33 AM

Thanks!
Ok, now that I have seen a picture, I can tell you, the wheels are most likely ****ed. Now when it comes to car cleaning, dealership detailers know next to nothing. Wheels are clear coated very similar to paint, and it looks like some dumbass went out, bought the super strong eat through anything acid, and sprayed it on your wheels and didn't even bother to spray it off. The black stuff is probably brake dust that did some accelerated etching into the clear coat of your wheel from the cleaner they used.

Also, it's hard to tell if that is dirt on top of the wheel, the hazy spots, but to me, it looks like clear coat failure if it is not dirt. The acid looks like it just ate that clear for breakfast. Try a small test spot of Ultimate compound, REALLY work it in there. If that doesn't work, your wheels NEED to be refinished. I would demand the dealer pays for the powdercoating or maybe even repair of the wheels. To me, it looks like no matter what, those need to be refinished, even if the UC works. Post pics after the UC if you can. Where are you located?

EDIT: BTW, etching will still feel completely smooth to the touch.

Last edited by Darkstar752; 07-17-2009 at 12:38 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Detailing