Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dingy OEM 19" Rays

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dingy OEM 19" Rays

I've got a used high mileage 06 6MT coupe with the 19" OEM forged Rays. I really like the wheels but they look a little dull, even stained in places. It doesn't look like they were ever a bright shiny aluminum color but they are definitely dingy and the color and finish is a little uneven.

What are the options for brightening them up? Just washing them has not helped. I'm not too worried about scratches and dings I just want the general appearance to be brighter.

I know there are wheel polishes but don't know which are best or which ones would work best on older more beat up rims. Do those drill/brush attachments work? It is hard getting into all the nooks with these Rays.

I doubt I'd be willing to pay for it but are there professional polishing or finishing options for wheels like these...other than paint? I don't want powder coating or anything.

(I apologize if this is a recurrent subject. I did a search but the S:N ratio was pretty high and I didn't find much).

Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
If they don't shine up quite a bit with Wheel Wax or similar you may need to have them refinished. Personally I wouldn't go after them with anything more aggressive than that since I believe they are factory painted and cleared.

Throw up some pics, maybe the more experienced wheel-detailers can help you more than I can.

Edit: some suggestions here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/2996929-post16.html

Last edited by Swivel; 11-07-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 AM
N80
Thanks for the link. Seems kind of ironic, if not downright silly, that nice wheels (wheels!) are so delicate. I mean they are down in the dirt with the tire with the brake dust, road grime, dog pee, road salt, etc etc. Seems like they ought to be the toughest and best finsished peice of metal on the car. (Rant over)

Anyway, these rims are far too old and too dingy to baby. I'll probably buff them out with something like Mothers or Meguiars wheel polish. I'll have to read the fine print but I wouldn't expect those to cut through the clear coat. If they will then I'll just bag the whole thing and leave them alone. I like a clean shiny car but I'm not a detailer by a long shot. This thing is my daily driver.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Some people powder coat them, which provides a tough finish and allows them to do something a little different colour-wise. Let us know how you do with the polish; maybe some before/afters?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 AM
N80
In the thread from your link it sounds like these stains and such are permanent and so powder coating might be an option.

I'll take pics this afternoon for the 'befores'. It will probably be this weekend before I get a chance to polish them. I may use one of those drill attachments. Then I'll post the 'after' pics.

If no improvement I'll leave them alone and when its time for new tires I'll look into powder coating. I'm probably an oddball on this site but I like the stock look. But, if I'm going to pay for powder coating anyway I'd probably take the plunge and go with black. I think it would look pretty good on a red coupe.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 PM
N80
Here are a couple of pictures. They're not great, I had to use the flash since it gets DARK at 5:30pm now (see S.A.D...seasonal affective disorder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ctive_disorder....think The Shining) Sorry. I'll put the axe away now.

Anyway on this one you can see the mess just above the valve stem on the inner rim:

On this one you can see the stains on the upper surface of that middle spoke:

This stuff does not come off with soap and elbow grease. I don't think it will come off at all.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like the clear coat is definitely gone. I had some like that. I bought some more in better shape (which I am now selling) and sold the dusty looking ones for $600.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:59 PM
N80
I went to the auto parts store and looked at the different wheel waxes. All of the ones made for wheels said not to use them on coated or painted wheels. And, the buffer thing you can buy to put on a drill cost $25. So I just bagged the whole plan.

However, I did buy some Meguiars Cleaner Wax to wax the car. After I got through waxing the car I put a little on one of the wheels and gave it a rub and all that crap started coming off. I was shocked. I had scrubbed these wheels with soap and a brush multiple times and got no results. Anyway, I did each wheel. It took about an hour. Those rays are a p.i.t.a to clean. Hard on the hands! The results are unbelievable! The nicks, chips and scuffs are still there but all the stains and dark areas are gone and the wheels are much brighter.

I might consider one of those drill buffers now.

Here's an 'after' shot:

Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Nice! Glad that stuff worked out for you.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM
N80
I think pretty much any car wax would work the same way.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Omg I waxed my car using same cleaner wax today and applied the wax to my 19" rays

Very impress can I use this wax on headlights?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use turtle was on my head lights to get rid of the fog on them and it worked but I had to use the wax In a tub and buff the hell out of em and they look like new also use wax on my. Blacked out tail lights to and they lookalike glass : ) give it a go u will be shocked