Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Picked up my G from the dealer, and found my Volks looking like this!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Received 218 Likes on 187 Posts
O.P is in Jail....

Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, an update. I'm not in jail, haha. I went there and spoke with the service manager, and he of course tried to jerk me around at first. First question out of his mouth was, "how old are the wheels?" My response to that was, "That doesn't matter since they were immaculate when I came in here yesterday." He went and looked at them and took a couple of pictures, and we went back inside. Then he's like well we don't use anything but soap and water here. So I asked him if the soap was acidic at all, and explained to him why that would be a problem. He went and looked, and came back and was like "well the soap is acidic, but that shouldn't matter." His reasoning was that they use it on all their vehicles. So when I asked him how many of their vehicles had wheels like mine, he was like "oh well none of them." Then he tried to give me the generic brush off and say okay I'll look into it. I told him I wanted documentation that I came in and that he inspected the wheels. The service rep who helped me the day they did this even went out and looked at my wheels and came in and was like, "yeah his wheels definitely did not look like that when he came in here yesterday." So I explained to him that the wheels need to be re-polished and sealed, and that was the only way to fix them. He assured me that they were going to do whatever needed to be done to make it right.

TL;DR - They tried to jerk me around in the beginning, but promised to handle it and do whatever they need to. He has to speak with the GM and get back to me on Monday, and go from there. They also agreed to give me a loaner while the wheels are getting repaired. Too bad I can't convince them to give me the R35 they've got sitting there for a loaner.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were worried about you OP!! LOL. Well that's good that they are finally going to fix it after you had to prove every which way that they were wrong and used acidic liquid for your wheels. Loaners are fun!!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM
So another update, and a question for you guys. So last week the service manager was telling me he wanted his soap supplier to look at my wheels because of course he claimed that his soap wouldn't do that to my wheels. We couldn't get a time set since the guy only comes around one day a week, while I'm at work. Since the manager didn't call me back after that, I decided to show up there this morning. He tried giving me the same B.S. as before with the "well he said that soap wouldn't do that." So I finally said listen, "I don't care what he said or what did it. The fact of the matter is something was done by your employees to make my wheels look this way, and you're liable for fixing it." At that point he immediately agreed to set up an appointment with their wheel repair guy.

My question is, how long does this wheel repair usually take? The service rep is trying to set it up for tomorrow, and she said the guy said it would only take one day to refinish them. That seems real quick to me, but I also haven't had any experience with this. Can anyone weigh in on that?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Never let the "Stealership" wash your car, this is the result!

Originally Posted by Nismo G
They put acid on the wheels. Sprayed it to remove brake dust and it destroyed the finish.
This is some crap the dealerships use to clean wheels. This isn't the first time this has happened to a members Volks.
Originally Posted by Swivel
Yup, I've seen this happen when someone uses some kind of cleaner on them. Potentially a BIG job to re-polish/clear coat.
There is only one way to fix Volks wheels when this happens, lips need to be stripped and polished. They'll look better than new once this is done but you'll need to use Mothers Metal polish once a month to keep em perfect. Clear coat, according to 1-800 FIXAWHEEL Volks can not be cleared....this is the company that polishes my SF Winnings.
Gary

Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by damdlux
My question is, how long does this wheel repair usually take? The service rep is trying to set it up for tomorrow, and she said the guy said it would only take one day to refinish them. That seems real quick to me, but I also haven't had any experience with this. Can anyone weigh in on that?
I would take a whole day to strip and polish your Volks if they know what they're doing. I've never had much faith in "Mobil Wheel Repair" companys because they don't have the equipment it takes to do the job right. Give them a pic of your car and tell them this is what you want them to look like. If they can't accomplish what you want find a recommended wheel repair shop in your area. We have several in SoCal....Gary

Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks

Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Dealership I go to here in the Bay Area will offer carwashes but wont touch/wash custom wheels due to this same type of problem.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
It will take them about a full day to take the wheels apart, and strip them, polish them, and seal them. Its a expensive process. Hence why earlier I said I just powdercoated mine. I was tired of dealing with it.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Damn, those wheels look horrible. Glad they're "fixing it" but man, what a pain in the azz to deal with.

On another note, the OC Infiniti dealership ruined my OEM wheels. Imagine that. They replaced 4 tires and all 4 Rays now have "curb rash" on the edge of the lips. Looks like the rims took a beating when they removed and installed the new tires.

Also, the lug nut holes are all scratched, down to the bare metal. I never touch those lug nuts so I know for a fact OC Infiniti did this.

You would think these ****** would take their damn time? Why rush?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't have left the dealership without bringing the damage to the service managers attention. They should have the equipment to change tires without destroying the rims. I only go to one tire store where they don't go flipin nuts with their impact guns which will not only destroy rims but by over tightening will warp the rotors. I make them use a torque wrench when reinstalling my rims eliminating both issues. Also, the tools that remove my locks are wrapped with tape so they won't scratch the rims. Great or what?
Gary

Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
So how did the repair go? I would still have been highly skeptical and supervise the process or at least talk to the wheel guy and have him explain to be how he plans to go about it.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
OC infinity,, Ive ordered parts from tbem through ebay stillen z tube and wheel spacers. Somebody there has aftermarket experience.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Swivel
So how did the repair go? I would still have been highly skeptical and supervise the process or at least talk to the wheel guy and have him explain to be how he plans to go about it.
I just dropped my car off to them earlier today, so we'll see what happens. The guy wasn't there yet who is supposed to do the repair. I told them I want them to call me before he starts working on them so he can explain to me exactly what he's going to do. I honestly don't have much faith that this guy knows what he's getting in to. The service rep basically described him as being a mobile wheel repair person, which I wasn't thrilled about when I heard. It's safe to say I'm not getting the car back today though, since I haven't even got a call from the guy telling me what the deal is. Oh well, I'll enjoy the 2012 G37X they gave me in the mean time.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Well, I just got the call that they're done already. They never called me before hand to tell me what they were doing. The service rep said she wasn't sure exactly what they did, but they had sanded and buffed them out. Not sure if they've been cleared/sealed or not. I know gary c mentioned they can't be, so we'll see how they look soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picked up my G from the dealer, and found my Volks looking like this!