Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Picked up my G from the dealer, and found my Volks looking like this!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Pics. Also ask for the wheel guys number so you can call him directly and ask what he did.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you pick up the car?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I picked the car up yesterday. The service rep Tara (the one I've been dealing with the whole time) tells me that the repair guy said he wetsanded the wheels down and buffed them out. She then says that he didn't even have to take the original clear coat off, and he was happy about that. So I optimistically went out to inspect the work. As you can see in the pictures, this guy did a half-assed job. He never even took the wheels apart (maybe I'm wrong for assuming that's what needs to be done?). I tried to capture the issues the best as I could in the pictures. They're still quite cloudy, and there's a bunch of sections that he didn't even polish out the damage. Where the faces of the wheels meet the barrels is the worst. There is a lot of compound still on there, but most of it is just that he didn't even polish in there.

So while we were out there, the service manager drives up and says "We good?" He already had an attitude right there. I said, no actually we're not, this wasn't done properly. His response was "Well that's as good as they're getting." That's when I saw red lol. I mildly flipped on him at that point and told him this needed to be corrected (considering they look nowhere near as good as they did BEFORE they damaged them). Then he starts giving me the b.s. that the repair guy said there was no way their soap did that damage blah blah. So then I said, look I don't give a sh*t at this point what he or anyone says did or didn't do it. The bottom line is something was done HERE, at this dealership, and YOU are liable to properly repair what you've done. I told him it wasn't my fault that he chose to neglect that I told him numerous times that the wheels needed to be pulled apart and then polished. Of course he said I never told him that. But that's when Tara spoke up and was like, actually yes he told both of us that many times. So he was like alright we'll have to talk to the GM and get this sorted out, and then drove off.

So we'll see what the next chapter of this soap opera turns out to be. Here's a few pictures to give you an idea of what they look like.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM
You can see near the GTF lettering where he stripped off the orginal clear coat.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aww man.. Let us know what happens!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So another update on this mess. After ignoring my calls last week, I finally had a voicemail from the service manager saying "we did all we can do, that's as good as they are getting. If you want to take this to the next level you'll need to talk to the GM." So that's what I planned on doing today, but I received a call from the service rep this morning first. She gave me the contact info for the repair guy, and he told her that we would correct "whatever he missed and make it right." So what should I be telling this guy? I mean it's apparent he didn't know what he was doing to begin with. I want to be absolutely sure of the PROPER way to repolish these, because I don't want him touching them unless he's going to do just that. But now it's turning into the dealership dumping liability on the repair guy for not doing the proper job, even though it's their fault for hiring him in the first place.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
If you want it done proper, I would stop wasting time going to the dealer and just get them fixed your self, then give the bill to them.

Any thing the dealer is going to do is going to drag a$$ compared to what a guy paid to fix up rims will do. Just get some price quotes.

Also Fill out a BBB report. But be warned they are going to say they fixed the rims and the BBB might not go anywhere

The following users liked this post:
Frankieg35 (09-07-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM
There are only 2 proper ways to fix the wheels.

Tires have to be dismounted.
Rims have to be disassembled.
The remainder of the anodize finish needs to be stripped off.
They have to be polished.
They have to be recleared with automotive clear coat.
Reassemble wheels
Mount tires and balance.

OR

Install new anozided lips from Volk
Reassemble wheels
Mount tires and balance.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 AM
If the guy just tries to polish without reclearing, they will now be exposed to the elements without the stock anodized finish and you will constantly have to keep polishing them every couple months.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
There are only 2 proper ways to fix the wheels.
Reassemble wheels
Mount tires and balanced.
I'm lucky to have one of the best wheel refinishing shops 15 minutes from my front door. Wheels don't need to be disassembled and Volks can't be clearcoated due to flex. A good wheel shop will dismount and repair/polish the wheels so they look like chrome. To keep them looking that good you'll need to polish once a month with Mothers metal polish which is a small price to pay for how great they look! When they're dismounted they can be remounted without the need to have them balanced, that's how good True Wheel is.... 1-800-FIX A RIM
Gary

Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
I can tell u this story is just like mine.. I don't know where u reside, but as WHOSURBUDDIEE said.. the only way the wheels can be fixed is this option:
"Tires have to be dismounted.
"

I had to have my WORK wheels redone in this manner.

What the tire guy did was take polishing compound and put a buffer to the wheels.. It's a nice attempt, but the wheel guy just polished the coating.. which was a waste of time.. The anodize has to come off the wheel.. which means the wheel has to be "cut" down to the aluminum.. then polished with a wheel high speed wheel.. not a buffer.. it's a large device that is placed on the barrel of the wheel. this can't be done by hand. After the wheel is polished it will shine better than before, but the only problem is that now u have to get down on the ground and polish them ever time it rains.

It takes a day or two to have it done right. When I had it done. it cost about 50 to 100 bucks a wheel.

Hate that it happen to ya wheels, but I know how u feel bro..

Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
I'm lucky to have one of the best wheel refinishing shops 15 minutes from my front door. Wheels don't need to be disassembled and Volks can't be clearcoated due to flex. A good wheel shop will dismount and repair/polish the wheels so they look like chrome. To keep them looking that good you'll need to polish once a month with Mothers metal polish which is a small price to pay for how great they look! When they're dismounted they can be remounted without the need to have them balanced, that's how good True Wheel is.... 1-800-FIX A RIM
Gary
Please ignore this guy. He is completely wrong on every single thing he said. Wheels need to be disassembled to be properly repaired (or you cant properly strip the coating in the spoke area). And you CANNOT dismount and remount tires without rebalancing. Wheels can be and should be clear coated unless you want to be constantly repolishing them all the time. All factory aluminum and any good aftermarket wheel is clear coated. Rim flex? Really?

When you dropped off the car, you were not required to constantly polish your wheels. Yes constantly polishing your lips will work but you should not be forced extra maintenance on your car due to their negligence.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 07-31-2013 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cux350z (08-17-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Please ignore this guy. He is completely wrong on every single thing he said. Wheels need to be disassembled to be properly repaired (or you cant properly strip the coating in the spoke area). And you CANNOT dismount and remount tires without rebalancing. Wheels can be and should be clear coated unless you want to be constantly repolishing them all the time. All factory aluminum and any good aftermarket wheel is clear coated. Rim flex? Really?
When you dropped off the car, you were not required to constantly polish your wheels. Yes constantly polishing your lips will work but you should not be forced extra maintenance on your car due to their negligence.
These remarks....^.... just prove how good TRUE WHEEL is at making Volks look better than new. WTF I've had two sets of Volks and they've repaired/polished my Volks SF Winnings twice because my wife has issue with parking and curbs. They told me that Volks couldn't be cleared because the flex. Volks don't come from the factory with an automotive clear coat, it's a totally different process! I'll compare my wheels and their finish any day to what the factory finish looks like. Rebalancing not necessary when you mark the tire and wheel and reinstll them in the exact same place....Fact!
Gary

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
That pictures is a trip hehehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picked up my G from the dealer, and found my Volks looking like this!