Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Quick Zaino terminology question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Zaino terminology question...

I just bought my 2005 G35 last week, and I had the 3M paint protection applied today. The install went great, but the detailer strongly suggested that I wait at least 2 weeks and preferably 4 weeks before deatailing/waxing the car so the 3M can cure properly. It makes sense to me, and since I live in Seattle where we get nice clean rain and no salt on the roads, I shouldn't be harming the paint any.

I've decided to give Zaino a try, but I'm confused about their terminology. According to my research, Zaino suggests that I do the following steps:

1) Clay bar (may not be necessary with new car)
2) bonding accelerator + Z2pro polish
3) optional but suggested detail spray

The reason why I'm confused is because Zaino doesn't mention the need for a "wax." Is this because their Z2,3,4's are synthetic polishes/wax? I'm assuming that if I go the Zaino route, I'll invest 4-6 hours a few times per year as opposed to waxing and polishing every 2 months.

After I get the initial Zaino applications on, should I simply wash my car in the subsequent months using Zaino/Meg Gold Class wash followed by a quick detail product? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Howdy!
You got it. The steps are:

Wash with Dawn
Clay - if need be, that's up to you
Z1
Z2 Pro( or Z5 if you have swirls)
Z6 Detail Spray

Then to maintain, you can put on Z2 Pro (or Z5) in 24 hours and you can just keep layering it on over times. Once you do the big detail day, it really takes no time to add another layer. The more you put on the Zaino, the better it will look.

Zaino is strictly a polish, and there is no need to put a wax on the car. People do so with certain waxes with no issues. I feel that step is unnecessary but I know there will be people out there that feel differently, and that is fine.

And to wash after the first coat of Zaino, use their car wash or any non abrasive wash that won't strip away the polish.

One of my favorite pics from Zaino's site:

Old 03-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks Eric7,

I assume that the Z1 and the new ZFX flash cure are interchangable. I'm a daily driver, thus the ZFX is more practical for me since it allows for nearly instantaneous bonding.

While some people may have success adding a wax coat to the Zaino process, it must not be necessary or Zaino would be offering a wax as part of their product lineup.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Z2 is a substitute for wax, as is Z3 (not applicable for us), and Z5 (hopefully not needed on a 2005). Except that wax is relatively soft and shortlived, Zaino is more firmly bonded to the car and longest-lasting. Recommend against putting wax on top of Zaino- if you're looking for more shine, add some coats of Z2 next weekend, or continue to use the Z6 frequently. Z6 really isn't optional- it's required between consecutive coats of Z2. See my other recent post ref Z6. great stuff.

Cheers,
Derek

Old 03-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks.

Like I said at the start of this string, I'm in a holding pattern for now as the detail shop who applied the 3M paint protection asked that I not wax/wash the 3M surface until it's cured for 30 days. I washed the car today with some Gold Class, but held off on Zaino. Normally I'd be concerned about waiting an entire month before treating the paint, but my car was pulled right off the truck with the bumper wrap still in place so I'm pretty confident the paint will fine by the end of the month. Hell, sometimes we buy new cars that have been sitting on car lots for 6 months!!

Old 03-01-2005, 10:25 PM
By the way Derek...

I read your other post about your Z6 opinion, and I have to agree with you. While I'm not familiar with Zaino (yet), I do have experience with industrial/medical surface treatments. Common sense would make us think that if we apply 10 coats of Z2 & Z6, our cars will look 10X better. In reality, that's probably not the case. It's also not very practical. I live in Seattle where it rains quite a bit, although not this winter. I'm looking for a wax/protectant that holds it's toughness throughout the year. That's why I'm interested in Zaino. I plan on applying two coats of Z2 + Z6 at the end of March, and then maybe two more coats in September (every 6 mo). In between, I'll wash her with some Meguiars Gold Class and use the Z6 once per month.

I'll let you know how it works for me. I'm in sales and will be driving my car a solid 20K miles/year. If the shine starts to fade, I'll add another round of Z2 every 4 months. Everything I've read about Zaino suggests that you shouldn't have to use it more than 3 times per year with monthly touchups using the Z6. Thoughts??

Old 03-03-2005, 03:40 PM
I am new to serious car care (last cars paint was pretty rundown) so I don't really know what I am doing. My question though:
If Zaino is strictly a polish, will it still protect your car like a wax will? Against bird crap and the like?

Old 03-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Technically it's not a polish either. Polish would signify that it contains abrasives and Zaino does not. It does however offer all of the protection of a wax or polish, even better actually. Since it is synthetic based, it last longer and will not break down as easy as traditional waxes/polishes. It also has outstaning UV protection. I have a black G, my car is kept outside and I have been using it for a year and a half and my car is still super black, even compared to brand new G's just rolling off the floor!