Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

I Regret Buying A Black Car!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Call the Cops
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this was me about 2 months ago, especially with all the dirt and sand they put on the roads during the winter. but im definitely over it now, it looks great at night, perfect from far away, and it looks clean 3 out of 7 days a week. i ordered splash guards, hope that solves the dirt problem a bit.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Yeah, but when well kept and clean, you can use your car as a mirror!

Old 04-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Keeping a Black car clean is definitely not easy, but can be very rewarding because damn does it look good when it's clean. I had a black car before I got my DG G. I swore I would never get another black car, but I bet my next car will be black, although I absolutely love the DG and do not regret it at all.

My recommendations:
1) Scratch X or Clay Bar
2) Mequiars 3 Step Deep Crystal Clean Process (Cleaner, Polish, Wax)
OR
Zaino (I have never used this, but I plan to--everyone loves it)
3) Regulary wash (weekly) with a "true" car soap (I like Mequiars Gold Glass Shampoo and Conditioner)
4) Dry with MicroFiber clothes ONLY or use a leaf blower.
5) Mequiars NXT Spray Wax after every wash.

Also, I try to give my car the full out wax job every 3-4 months. I think this is especially important on a black car.

Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2005, 12:22 AM
gtr proto test driver
thx god i got a DG, it looks friggin amazing after cleaning

Old 04-21-2005, 01:16 AM
I use Mr. Clean Autodry.... i love it!! never have to dry with towel. But I hate the swirl all over the car!! PAIN in ****! But I love the black colour because I got a lot fo compliment that ppl say they love black G I use Mequiars 3 Step Deep Crystal Clean Process (Cleaner, Polish, Wax) and I find it useful but tiring when hand buff the car. I wanna hire some hot chicks with bikini to wax on and wax off

Old 04-21-2005, 04:25 AM
Hello to all G35 coupe owners and all in between!!!

I'm new to this forum and think you peeps give out some great suggestions! I have a 2004 G35c black/black and can't seem to keep it clean... I get the car washed from the dealer... it looked horrible, then another place.... swirls, rough texture and barely any shine! Any good detailing places you could recommend in the Los Angeles?? And what is the cost of a sweet detailing job?

For those of you who are able to consistently keep the car black and sparkling as it should be.. please list your washing/waxing regimen. It would be a HUGE help as I am open to almost any suggestions at this time. Also, unfortunately I don't have much time as I am swamped with dental school! I know if you spend a whole day on your car, it pretty much will shimmer but I am hard pressed to get a couple of hours free time for the car, sad, I know but I nee to get the car sparkling in a couple of hours.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by WestCoastG35
Hello to all G35 coupe owners and all in between!!!

I'm new to this forum and think you peeps give out some great suggestions! I have a 2004 G35c black/black and can't seem to keep it clean... I get the car washed from the dealer... it looked horrible, then another place.... swirls, rough texture and barely any shine! Any good detailing places you could recommend in the Los Angeles?? And what is the cost of a sweet detailing job?

For those of you who are able to consistently keep the car black and sparkling as it should be.. please list your washing/waxing regimen. It would be a HUGE help as I am open to almost any suggestions at this time. Also, unfortunately I don't have much time as I am swamped with dental school! I know if you spend a whole day on your car, it pretty much will shimmer but I am hard pressed to get a couple of hours free time for the car, sad, I know but I nee to get the car sparkling in a couple of hours.

Thanks in advance!!
IMO... I think the best detailing job would come from you doing it yourself. A "sweet" detailing job (if you include a wax, interior clean, etc... basically "The Works") I estimate it takes a good 6 hours or so. I'm on the East Coast so I don't know of any detailers on the West Coast, but I would still say a good detail job is upwards of $200, which would never compare to the job you could do on a Saturday afternoon.

Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2005, 08:43 PM
black is tough. I have a black 2003.5 G35 Sedan. But when its clean, I feel it can't be beat.

If you are going for perfection you need to get a Porter Cable Polisher and some foam pads and polishes. I've spent around $350 for all that stuff and its worth every penny. I do a full polish about twice a year and my car looks just as good as when i bought it!

To keep your car looking go use the Cali Duster or a quick detailer.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Black is best when it is clean. Black is worst when it is dirty. I wash my car when I have a date or need to attend some kind of important events otherwise .....

btw, please give our member some opinion on black cars...:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/52037-finally-looking-black-obsidian-pics.html

Old 04-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A full 4 step detailing process should not take the whole day, unless 4 hours is the WHOLE day. You should also be able to order a good kit online for less than $250 that will last a LONG time and keep your car looking great.

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax/Sealant

Wash = 45 minutes (+20 if you clay while you wash)
Clay = 20 minutes (-20 if done while washing)
Polish = 60-90 minutes (Depending on condition of paint)
Wax = 30 minutes (Depending on wax/sealant)

PC7336 = $100 OTC
PC Foam Polishing Pads = $50ish for a kit with Cutting/Polishing/Finishing pads
PC Polishes = Poorboys SSR2.5 and SSR1 = $25
Clay = $10-$15 OTC
Wax/Sealant = NXT Tech Wax = $15 OTC / Klasse AIO/SG = $35

Give yourself 6 hours on a Saturday / Sunday which include food/snack breaks.

And you have one sexy looking car.

-Mark