Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino swirl/scratch remover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino swirl/scratch remover?

Curious if anyone has tried this product yet, especially on a black car.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Yes & Yes!

It's okay, I found it a little difficult to use, but after a lil while I got the hang of it. I found it works best if you remove the excess immediately and don't let it dry. I used my CYCLO to put it on. It remove minor scratches and swirls, but nothing to write home about.

Would I order another bottle.....I couldn't honestly say yet. I am going to use it again on my dad's black expedition so I will let ya know how it goes when I get around to doing it.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:51 PM
they claim that it is a self dissolving product.....I thought that would mean that you would buff until it disappears. May order to try it, but will wait to hear more responses.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:57 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search the autopia and detailcity forums, you'll find hundreds of threads about it

Old 10-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It does not self disolve, no matter how long you work it. It must be buffed off. In terms of how well it works - seems to be right around the abrasive range of Poorboys SSR2, Optimum Polish on a cutting pad, etc... I've used it and I think there are better swirl removing products than come in much more fleshed out product lines (Optimum Compound/Polish comes to mind, or Menzerna PG/IP/FPII). The fact that it flashes fairly quickly and can produce significant dusting steers me away from it.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:46 PM
i ordered poorboy's 2.5 thing...i posted a thread regarding minor scratches in detailing forum, which is this forum.
anyone wanna comment on that?

Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI
JDM - I read that thread. What did you want to know specifically about SSR2.5? Non-specifically it's a medium level abrasive polish that will remove up to moderate swirling, and definitely minor swirls/scratches, and is best used with a PC or rotary. By hand is difficult since it is very hard to work the product in enough to break down the abrasives without using a machine. Also worth mentioning is that it is abrasive enough that when used with a cutting pad it will almost always cause hazing, which can be cleaned up with a less abrasive polish.

Of course regardless of the color or the car I recommend everyone own a porter cable, but that's just me.

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
JDM - I read that thread. What did you want to know specifically about SSR2.5? Non-specifically it's a medium level abrasive polish that will remove up to moderate swirling, and definitely minor swirls/scratches, and is best used with a PC or rotary. By hand is difficult since it is very hard to work the product in enough to break down the abrasives without using a machine. Also worth mentioning is that it is abrasive enough that when used with a cutting pad it will almost always cause hazing, which can be cleaned up with a less abrasive polish.

Of course regardless of the color or the car I recommend everyone own a porter cable, but that's just me.

Great response. I've had great success with the Poorboy's SSR 2.5. I generally use the 2.5 and then follow it up with the SSR 1.0 as mentioned. I've been able to significantly reduce some very heavy swirls and scratches with that product combination.
It does work better with a Porter Cable but I think it works fairly well by hand as well. It's just a little harder to apply even pressure throughout the entire detail if you do it by hand.

And yes owning a Porter Cable is the best way to improve your detailing and safe yourself time and effort.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
The stuff is amazing if you ask me..I had some swirls on my hood. Pretty bad. Just got my Zaino. All gone...

Old 10-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by alfhasg35
The stuff is amazing if you ask me..I had some swirls on my hood. Pretty bad. Just got my Zaino. All gone...
Sweet - did you use a PC, rotary, or hand application? I'm trying to get a handle on which is best with Z-PC. I know some compounds work better with different machines, and my luck with Z-PC and my porter cable has been less than stellar. Perhaps you used a roatary?

Old 10-08-2005, 01:51 PM
hm...am i required to buy porter cable?
i was planning to do it w/ my hand...
crap..thats extra 130 bucks;;;

Old 10-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I know the Porter Cable sounds like a lot of money at $130 but I like to think of it more as investment. This machine is going to last you a decade or more. It helps protect your vehicle from mother natures harmful elements. The PC gives more even distribution of heat and pressure which creates a much better overall detail IMO. Its very hard to apply firm constant pressure throughout an entire detail. Plus the presussure you apply is generally exerted through the tips of your fingers which gives you uneven coverage. The PC saves you a lot of time and effort in your back and forearms and your generally never soar the next when you use it. Possibly most importantly it saves you time, so you can spend more time in the G. Unfortunately you really need to get more than just the $130 PC, I highly recommend getting a pad kit as well. The one listed here gets you:
- 1 Orange Lake Country Cutting Pad
- 2 White Lake Country Polishing Pad
- 1 Black Lake Country Finishing Pad
- 4 Microfiber Towels
- 2 Snappy Clean Pad Cleaners
- 1 Velcro Backing Plate (most important for easy pad swaps)
- 1 Spur Brush
Again I like to think of the PC as investment that will pay you back in the long run.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by JDM 350GT
hm...am i required to buy porter cable?
i was planning to do it w/ my hand...
crap..thats extra 130 bucks;;;
You can do it by hand - spot scratch removal is actually not too hard by hand, just grab some scratchx or something. If you intend to remove swirls/marring from the entire car I personally think it's crazy to do it by hand. First, it's unlikely you'll get very good results, second, it will take you forever to do the entire car, and third you may actually induce marring because of all the rubbing.

Like Punchit said, it's $130, but the thing will last you at least 2 or 3 cars, and you can use it for more than just polishing. Applying waxes and sealants is much easier with a PC. I don't know, I hate to pimp a product but those things pay for themselves in time and effort saved. That's without even mentioning the results.

If your car has a good finish (yours sounds like it does) already you can probably do without, but it's still never a bad idea to have one. For your spot scratches I would try scratchx first. Just make sure you know how to apply it (there is a thread in the detailing section here that explains how).

Old 10-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Well Put Picus!