Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

washing mitts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
washing mitts?

I've searched the forums for posts regarding washing mitts but none seem to mention where or what type of washing mitts I should get for my car... the only posts I see are about drying towels such as MF towels and chamois.

Can anyone tell me where I can get good washing mitts and of what type?

Old 10-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've been using microfiber wash mitts lately. The one I'm using now is the orange VROOM brand from Target. Seems to work fine.

You'll probably get other recommendations for wool mitts or others. You'll just have to try some til you find what you like.

I've used wool previously and they always seem to shed wool after a few uses. The MF mitt I'm using now I've had for about a year and it's still doing fine.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
MF mitts. Check properautocare.com.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:04 PM
i first used mf mitts, but didnt like how it held up and was slightly difficult to get into the grooves of the wheels.
now i'm using 100& sheepswool or lambswool, i forget--but anyways, its pretty good, you can get into all the nooks and cranies....but its basically a glove, so only one side is really usable unless you switch hands and it doesnt hold as much liquid as the mf does.....so who knows
dftowels.com....check out their selection. they have a reversable wash mit for 4 sides of usage. never used myself but thinking of picking up some stuff. just read the reviews! seems a bit pricy, but claim will last for years.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:12 PM
you want to use a wash mitt that will easily shed the gunk that it picks up....i microfibre mitt is great and it wont scratch the finish, but it can pick up particles that will....

i used to use a MF mitt, now im using a sheepskin mitt.....just feel the mitt and you will know right away why its 100 times better....

its as soft as a baby's ***......

its very easy to clean and rinses very easily during washing

just my 2 cents

p.s. i got mine at Meijer, for 6.99 made by turtle wax

Old 10-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i use a meguiars mitt...its nice...

Old 10-14-2005, 03:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've used a large variety of mitts... and i've stuck w/ sheepskin. MF mitts hold the dirt and doesn't release it easily in my rinse bucket. sponges are ok but costly. the sheepskin mitts i am currently using are found at Target, Vroom brand. I go in there every once in a while and choose the plushest wool mitts there. The mitts that shed are low quality but I've found that Vroom has decent quality. You can buy wash mitts online and pay boutique prices because they're supposedly better... but i have found they are no better than my Vroom. I also throw my mitts away after 6 months or so... this is due to the constant usage. Typical usage and proper care should make them last for a year.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I find that some sheepskin wooley mitts shed after a while. I also don't lie the way they harden up when they're dry. I've had good luck with most of the synthetic ones. Just examine the construction, and do a few "tug" tests.

I looked into the micro-fiber ones, but the detail guys I use say that if you're not careful, because of the short nap, and the way they hold onto dirt particles, they can end up scratching your finish. Wooley mitts do a better job of keeping the dirt picked up away form the surface of your car.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
My 100% cotton mitt from LA Zaino just arrived. It's basically one of their cotton towels fashioned into a mitt that covers your hand and forearm so it doesn't fall off easily. Haven't used it yet, but you may wanna give 'em a whirl.

http://www.lazaino.com/

Old 10-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm using now is the orange VROOM brand from Target. Seems to work fine
i use that also and it's pretty good...i just put it in the washer after each wash

Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 PM
i don't put it in the wash. how i wash a mitt out completely is by putting spraying the outside of the mitt and also putting the hose inside and filling it up completely. it'll start overflowing. at this time i'll start massaging the ouside of the mitt to make sure all of the soap is out.

the nap itself should not be getting hard when it dries. that means there's still soap inside. the part that will harden i the leather/pleather that the nap is on. it's like when a chamois hardens up when dry.