Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Few deatiling questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Post Few deatiling questions...

First and foremost: PINSTRIPE!

Not sure if it's factory of not, I havent had the opertunity to look closely at other 03 sedans, but I can not stand this pinstriping. It just HAS to go! So what do you guys suggest for removing it?

Also, the dash. Some of the dash is a very hard plastic, that seems like any dressing applied will just smear and not really set into the material. The other part of the dash, the upper part, is I ASSUME simulated leather. Is this correct? I would hate to put a dressing onto what is actualy leather and destroy it.

NOW the leather. My leather shows a bit of wear. Inifinity is going to look at it tomorow while they do some other warantee work, but I have a feeling they're going to tell me I'm on my own. When I say wear, Im refering to the 'cracks' and wrinkles in the leather. This is only so with the front two seats, the rear two which probably have never really been sat in are in perfect condition. How do I go about restoring this to its optimal condition? Would steaming the material help put it back to it's origional state? Or would a traditional clean/condition do it? The leather isn't that bad, with the exception of these 'crackks', the leather isnt dried out or anything.

Thanks guys

Old 03-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A PC and a good polish will take out the pinstripe with very little effort.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Houston G
A PC and a good polish will take out the pinstripe with very little effort.
its sticker pinstripe, not paint

Old 03-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it'll still remove it.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
owned and operated a body shop in the past...there is an item called a pinstripe remover (only for vynal stripes). it looks like a big gummy eraser. dimensions are 4"round by 1/2" thick. rubber is injection molded around a mount that fits into your average cordless dewalt drill. now get this...with drill turning the rubber disc, gently move along the pinstripe and it comes off-no fuss, no muss. the first time i used one, i couldn't believe it did not harm the paint, but it left not a scratch...just some rubber remnants like the ones you would brush off of paper on which you had just erased something. the only peril is that after 10 or 15 stripe removals, the erasers wears away to the mount, and you don't want to run a metal disc mount along your car. all that being said, stop by a reputable body shop, and they can do this for you in about 5 minutes. if you want to do it yourself, find a local body and paint shop supply store and they can sell you one.

Last edited by speedracerg35; 03-02-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
owned and operated a body shop in the past...there is an item called a pinstripe remover (only for vynal stripes). it looks like a big gummy eraser. dimensions are 4"round by 1/2" thick. rubber is injection molded around a mount that fits into your average cordless dewalt drill. now get this...with drill turning the rubber disc, gently move along the pinstripe and it comes off-no fuss, no muss. the first time i used one, i couldn't believe it did not harm the paint, but it left not a scratch...just some rubber remnants like the ones you would brush off of paper on which you had just erased something. the only peril is that after 10 or 15 stripe removals, the erasers wears away to the mount, and you don't want to run a metal disc mount along your car. all that being said, stop by a reputable body shop, and they can do this for you in about 5 minutes. if you want to do it yourself, find a local body and paint shop supply store and they can sell you one.
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, its made by 3M if I'm not mistaken. A friend who was a body man said he would never use one outside a body shop. Is it really as easy as you said? I'll hate myself if I burn the paint... Do I hold it so the rotation part is parallel or perpendicular to the striping?

Old 03-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
if you keep your drill on slow rotation, i don't think you could burn the paint if you tried. it works on all vynal applications...used to take of dealer trunk decals, larger vynal custom decals, pinstripes when blending into adjacent panels to clearcoat and restripe, etc...it takes no special talent, but should not be used on paint less than one month old. if a body shop wants to charge more than $10.00 go to a body and paint supplier and pick one up for around $12.00 someone who has never used one can unstripe a car in less than 5 minutes. all you need to do afterwards is wax where the stipe use to be and you will never one was there. one last thing, if the car is more than two or three years old, the paint under the pinstripe will not have faded with the rest of the car, leaving in essence a pinstripe by default. hope this helps.