Texas front license plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Texas front license plate

I couldn't find anything searching but after meeting several of you last week at Posado's ... someone mentioned that the law was recently passed that no longer requires a front license plate for Texas motor vehicles.

Can anyone cite any laws or other info that shows this law was passed? I can't find anything concrete.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:34 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I contacted my buddy who's a cop and he told me that the law never passed and you DO have to have both plates...go figure.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 PM
The don't pull over luxury cars, only cars with neon glowing fart can exhaust tv watching bass bumping cars i.e. DAVE!

Old 11-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoK4drSi
The don't pull over luxury cars, only cars with neon glowing fart can exhaust tv watching bass bumping cars i.e. DAVE!
You forgot to mention "pink" neon...

Last edited by JD_AND_DA_G_RIDE; 11-16-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:53 PM
I got pulled over for speeding and caught a rash of **** for not having it. I've thought for awhile now that they get really pissed when they are aiming their laser and cant aim at your license plate. I asked the cop if that's why I needed it and he admitted that they aim at it but said it is required for saftey. Whatever.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
I contacted my buddy who's a cop and he told me that the law never passed and you DO have to have both plates...go figure.
It never passed. House passed it but the Senate/Governor rejected it.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:23 PM
2 Cars......2 Turbos...
Oh Hugh and JD you guys are the heught of just too muchery. What would I do without you guys to keep me honest. Man there is nothing like NEVER HAVING EVER GOTTEN A TICKET IN THE G! It feels good to be a good upstanding citzen who obeys the law and never speeds. I only use my 415 rwhp and 378 ft/lb tq to GET TO the speed limit really fast. Of course once i'm there i never go over it. I always use my turn signals......and never......ever.......race Porsche Turbos with hot blondes in them.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Uh.........yeeeeeeeea. Just don't put it on.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Resurrecting this. Just got a warning this morning after owning the car for six years. Maybe I should go get the hide away one...

Old 08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just leave mine on the dash on the drivers side. But living in a community where half of the people are military with plates from all over the place, the cops don't pay attention to the plates here.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There seems to have been a recent push to get people pulled for no front plate. I have had a ton of friends complain about being pulled after not having a front plate for X number of years.

Personally, I think it depends on the city and your style of driving. I live in Plano and usually drive reasonably and I haven't gotten pulled. However, friends in Plano claim they have been getting pulled like crazy.

on the other hand, most everyone agrees that the cops in Dallas are chill and never pull for no front plate, but ironically that's the only city where I have been pulled over for not having a front plate. Go figure?

if you are really nervous about it, get the hide-away setup that TheDizzle bought. It's clean, totally hidden, and frankly badass to use haha..

Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Got a ticket because the cop said, "You were warned back in March of 2007 for not having a front plate. It's time for a ticket." Three years ago?! Srsly!

Ended up paying a $20 fix-it ticket by zip tying my plate to the intercooler. The clerk actually sat and watched me cut the zip ties and take the plate off again before leaving the parking lot, lol.

I think it's stupid.
Hahahahah! I would've loved to see her face!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't really understand the need for a front plate. In my opinion, the law is worthless given the existence of the FixIt Ticket program. The $10 to have it dismissed is NOT doing much of anything for our city. I'm certainly not complaining about FixIt, but why bother having the law at all? It seems clear to me that it is nothing more than a way to legally pull someone over in hopes that they can find something else.

I have also heard people claim that if you don't have a front bracket for a plate (like pretty much all of us) that you are exempt from this since they "cant force you to drill holes in your bumper". This is NOT true. The law is the law and the cop won't give a smooth fart if you don't have the bracket. Either you have the front plate mounted or you don't. There aren't any exceptions or "luxury car" clauses.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
I had a friend who was pulled over, but he drives a kinda ricey neon... they are def. cracking down as of late.

I'm scared to drive sometimes, but I just keep the cops behind me and they don't know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Texas front license plate