Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

G vs Stang GT?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
I drove my buddy's 08 GT Manual. On OEM Tires, I launched it and it took off like a bat out of hell compared to my G35. Seems a lot easier in the Mustang. Maybe I just hit it's sweet spot a launch? I dunno.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Assuming stock for stock: A few cars at the 1/4 mile? If its a 6MT, definitely not. It should pull just a little bit at first with no gain after the first 1/8 mile.

I completely agree on the solid rear axle being easier to launch. I couldn't believe how easy launching my brother's 2008 Mustang GT is, even with inferior tires. I could launch it with consistency 9 out of 10 times. And its definitely cheaper to make power...way cheaper and easier.

A 93 octane tune could probably gain as much as 20 rwhp. It's believable considering that its a V8 waiting to be unleashed from it's cage.

Anyhow, the Mustang GT lives at the 1/4 mile. That's where it really belongs. But people underestimate what a properly driven G35 6MT can do at the 1/4 mile. And those 5AT's with a few drivetrain upgrades can get the job done just as well. (The new 7AT is a whole difference beast).

What year Mustang did you own? AT or MT?
Not only is the solid axle easier to launch, but its much more durable. If you've ever launched an IRS car on drag radials, you know what i'm talking about. I could see my 6mt pulling a GT from 60+, but 1/4 mile is a stretch.
Believe it or not, my RSX had CAI, header and reflash and it would beat G35s and new a/t mustangs. 14.2 @ 100 with ****ty tires.

My mustang is a 92 Lx(the only mustang worth owning), cam, cut '71 boss heads, cobra intake mani, CAI, MSD and full exhaust. Its not too fast, but its bulletproof, sounds great and dirt cheap to modify and maintain. G35 is def. faster from a roll. I'm gonna be pawning it off soon so I can finish the suspension on my SS(much better platform than ANY mustang, IMO.)

I'm looking for somthing to wake up this G35 a little. So far I have 5/16" spacer, test pipes and Ztube. Should tuning be my next step?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What happened to people just going out and finding out who's faster the old fashioned way instead of asking on teh interwebz? lol

Old 03-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Finkle06
Not only is the solid axle easier to launch, but its much more durable. If you've ever launched an IRS car on drag radials, you know what i'm talking about. I could see my 6mt pulling a GT from 60+, but 1/4 mile is a stretch.
Believe it or not, my RSX had CAI, header and reflash and it would beat G35s and new a/t mustangs. 14.2 @ 100 with ****ty tires.

My mustang is a 92 Lx(the only mustang worth owning), cam, cut '71 boss heads, cobra intake mani, CAI, MSD and full exhaust. Its not too fast, but its bulletproof, sounds great and dirt cheap to modify and maintain. G35 is def. faster from a roll. I'm gonna be pawning it off soon so I can finish the suspension on my SS(much better platform than ANY mustang, IMO.)

I'm looking for somthing to wake up this G35 a little. So far I have 5/16" spacer, test pipes and Ztube. Should tuning be my next step?
If you want to wake it up, finish out your exhaust then tune. If you never have plans for an exhaust, then yes a tune will help get the most out of your current mods.

My coupe back when it only had HFC and exhaust was faster than a similar DE coupe with a 5/16 Spacer and Test pipes. (Different cars, Different drivers, but was faster.)

Old 04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
My brother has a 06 mustang gt and we raced a couple months ago we raced about three times to see consistency and every time first and second gear were close but as soon as I would hit third gear I would start pulling on him to about a car or car and a half all three times it was the same outcome. I also raced an automatic Gt a couple days ago and it was the same outcome except when I shifted to third I started pulling on him a little faster than the manual I ended up about two car lengths ahead so GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Dude said he was the king of right ness, LMAO! Geezus!