Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

REVUP 6MT vs Non REVUP 6MT Drag Racing *VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lets compare the above drivers then....I see you posting about your trips at least every 2-3 weeks....how familiar is the other driver with the track? I made just over 150 passes last year....during those trips there were several 06's that would tag along....most did worse or roughly the same as similarly equipped 03-05's. I can't get any more apples to apples than that.....I'll ask around to see if anyone has any vids from those days. I am not trying to be confrontational....on paper the rev-up is superior, but in practical apps it disappoints for the most part.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jairen
05 6MT G's are REVUP's.

By using YOUR logic, we'll just say non revups are .3 faster at different tracks on differents days. I guess all tracks are the same and DA's don't matter. Your more than welcome to do what we did and take two stock Z's or G's at the same track on the same day. We'll see if non REVUP's are in fact .4 faster across the board. Aren't non REVUP more common?
various dynos have shown in the past that 03-06 G35s (coupe or sedans) produce the same amount of HP and the same amount of peak RPM of 6200. The difference has been pretty consistent that the power drop off from 6200-6600 for non-revups are greater than the power drop off for rev-ups from 6200-7000rpm.

The other difference is the tq curve between the two which shows that non-revups have slightly better tq curve throughout the RPM because of their lower redline than the revup motors. The bottom line is that there are lots of factors when racing two identical cars including the maintanance, mileage driver skill (shifting) etc.

The slightly better driver will win in these races regardless if its a rev-up or not.
The video is a great video though no doubt about it.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
various dynos have shown in the past that 03-06 G35s (coupe or sedans) produce the same amount of HP and the same amount of peak RPM of 6200. The difference has been pretty consistent that the power drop off from 6200-6600 for non-revups are greater than the power drop off for rev-ups from 6200-7000rpm.

The other difference is the tq curve between the two which shows that non-revups have slightly better tq curve throughout the RPM because of their lower redline than the revup motors. The bottom line is that there are lots of factors when racing two identical cars including the maintanance, mileage driver skill (shifting) etc.

The slightly better driver will win in these races regardless if its a rev-up or not.
The video is a great video though no doubt about it.
That's what I've been preaching the whole time. The difference isn't that much if any and falls down to the driver. 03threefiftyz posted the the timeslip thread showing a .4 difference in 1/4 as solid evidence from a timeslip thread. IMHO, the difference ISN'T .4 in the 1/4. Please keep in mind that in my video, the non revup had a 5/16 iso, and exhaust while the REVUP was bone stock. For the REVUP driver, it was only his 2nd time at the track. I was in the passenger seat taking the video in the REVUP.

Sorry, but i can't use the timeslip thread as the end-all of who is "faster". Especially a .4 difference. Too many fatcors and different tracks. It's like comparing dyno's.

EDIT: keep in mind that 06 REVUP Z's are slightly heavier. As for 6MT G coupes, the differences in weight isn't much from 03-07. Maybe <100 lbs.

Last edited by Jairen; 05-27-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
DE (non rev-ups) absolutely dominate the Rev-ups in "stock" top drag results and "bolt-ons" lists......sorry, but it is conclusive and decisive in favor of non rev-ups.

Talk to any reputable tuner who has done countless dynos and tunes on VQ motors and they will tell you the differences.

Assuming we are talking about 6MT drivetrains for consistency, a revup will always have the higher average power at its WOT powerband. Like Klubbheads stated, it's not that the revup has any significant peak power advantage over a non-revup, it just doesn't fall flat after peak power like the non-revup do. Hence, the higher average power throughout WOT powerband.

My Revup certainly has responded well to NA mods. Tweaking the exhaust cam timing can also improve the high-end powerband (Revup motor has variable cam timing on both the intake and exhaust valves)

Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm fully aware of the difference and as I stated......on paper it is a superior motor.....just doesn't pan out in a practical sense. I hear all this blah blah about the non-rev not responding to bolt-ons....mine picked up 41whp from bolt-ons tune. The more aggressive cams and ability to adjust both cams certainly helps, but thus far the differences have been nominal at best. The rev-ups do respond better to aftermarket exhaust manifolds though.....a result of the above advantages.

Edit...Also the shop that tuned my car tunes the majority of the Z/G's in the are......beside the HR/VHR's....the two highest I have seen have been non rev-ups.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 05-27-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well im confused, i drive an 05 6mt revup sedan. bone stock and i raced an 04 with exhaust 6mt and i took him after we hit 3rd. ive raced about 3 nonrevs and have beat all of them, two were 6mt and 1 auto.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 PM
and btw ive never heard of a bone stock nonrev running 13.6 at the track thats phenomenal . but 14.01 sounds normal for a revup

Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
^My 4 years of ownage a 2004 6MT (non-revup). I had never lost to another G35 except ONE, which was NOT a rev-up.
I also raced against a rev-up from 60-145 mph when i was running an exhaust only and no one pulled an inch during the whole time. The only other close race like that was against a s2k back when i was stock.

Every individual car is different and can not be generalised as which one is "faster".

Old 05-28-2010, 12:40 PM
^ im not generalizing any car as faster im stating it is due to the facts that it is more powerful and also better geared. and has the ability to rev higher which allows the driver to maintain the power gear longer and a better race. plus in my few years owning a G i have realized the power my car has over the nonrev models. i have a sedan also and ive raced coupes too.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:56 PM
FYI gearing and power is identical........

Old 05-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I believe that the Non-rev up has more torque? So that could be why the non-rev do better on the 1/4 or the 1/8 than the rev-ups..

Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Revup = Remember every victim u pwn
haha

Old 05-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Another video will be made. Same modded non revup vs bone stock revup.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 PM
HEY! Thats my car in the video! I am also the driver in the video, THE REV UP G35, is my friend's G who has a ztube and a TD exhaust with 19" rims with 1 month old tires(pretty much new)
TO CLARIFY EVERYTHING,
MY CAR(NON REVUP) has a spacer, and a midpipe and muffler Fuji exhaust.
-I Ran using a 19x9.5 F, 19x10.5 R Work Varianza T1s with 30% tread remaining( i'll show pictures if anyone wants proof) My rims alone is heavier by at least 5 pounds each wheel than my friends and i can take pics too if anyone wants proof.

All together these factors affects how our cars run. Driver's ability also plays a major factor. I lost clearly as you can see in the video, I am not making any excuses but just read the facts about my car and my friends car then you guys decide.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 PM
btw, thanks JR for the video
are you gonna run next week?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: REVUP 6MT vs Non REVUP 6MT Drag Racing *VIDEO*