Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

REVUP 6MT vs Non REVUP 6MT Drag Racing *VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
This is a video that show variable valve timing at 0.50 into the video.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7MpoPNK-gNg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7MpoPNK-gNg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Andrei; 06-22-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coo. Interesting to compare them.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Not to sound like a noob, but what is the difference between REVUP and Non REVUP?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by apexi957
Not to sound like a noob, but what is the difference between REVUP and Non REVUP?
If you search you will find a ton of knowledge to help you find out the difference. But basically the revup came in 05 6mt g35 and above until the hr motor came out. It makes more power in the high rpms where the old motors used to have a bigger drop off.

And this thread is hilarious with outrageous claims being made with very poor evidence. Non-revup is faster than a revup??? Come on, unless you are talking about short distances where the non-revup torque can help it out, the simple fact that the revup makes more power means it will be faster. Claiming based on people's race times that are extremely variable, not necessarily trustworthy, and moreover doesn't nearly represent and adequate experimental design for testing which engine is faster.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Xet
If you search you will find a ton of knowledge to help you find out the difference. But basically the revup came in 05 6mt g35 and above until the hr motor came out. It makes more power in the high rpms where the old motors used to have a bigger drop off.

And this thread is hilarious with outrageous claims being made with very poor evidence. Non-revup is faster than a revup??? Come on, unless you are talking about short distances where the non-revup torque can help it out, the simple fact that the revup makes more power means it will be faster. Claiming based on people's race times that are extremely variable, not necessarily trustworthy, and moreover doesn't nearly represent and adequate experimental design for testing which engine is faster.
Do a calculation of average HP across the powerband and you'll see there's hardly a difference in power between the cars. The Revup makes more power for the last 600rpms, but that's it. The non-Revup makes a bit more power in the midrange. It's really a wash. HP sells cars. Power under the curve wins races.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Do a calculation of average HP across the powerband and you'll see there's hardly a difference in power between the cars. The Revup makes more power for the last 600rpms, but that's it. The non-Revup makes a bit more power in the midrange. It's really a wash. HP sells cars. Power under the curve wins races.
Like I stated before, it may make a difference in shorter distance races but if you put both cars next to each other and took off and raced to the cars' max speeds you would see who would be further ahead. I am not arguing that the cars can be very close to each other on the 1/4 mile or the likes, where it is 99% a driver's race. But, overall the higher horsepower engine of these cars will be faster.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hahah nice one!!
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Revup = Remember every victim u pwn

Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I could be biased but I agree. Higher hp but less torque will improve acceleration in a lighter cars. As we all know, this works pretty well with Hondas/Acuras. The G35 coupe is not one of those lighter cars, revup or non. The increase in HP and the drop in torque is simply countering itself in performance compared with the non revup, if that makes any sense.

Nevertheless, and overall...i think it's nissan's marketing scheme again. As the Altima SE-R and the 260hp G35 sedan owners would say...it's all the same engine.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Does someone have a dyno overlay of the 2 on the same dyno on the same day?

Also please keep in mind of the REVUP's higher redline (7000 rpm) and fuel cut (7400 rpm). That just means the REVUP has the ablility to land shifts higher in the rev range. Better high end + higher redline and fuel cut will naturally land you higher in the rev range. The power drop off is slightly less significant in the REVUP. As for HP, there is a very significant jump in HP in only 500 rpm's. Look at the difference from 5000-5500 RPM's in the chart below. Its almost a 20hp difference and is around the area where shifts will land.

I get better times and traps by shifting past 7000 rpm's myself.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
if your drag racing, shouldnt the only set of rpms you should averaging to be looking at is in the 5-7k range,where you will be most of the time, you wont be dropping back down to 3k or 3500 or 4k in a drag race.

Last edited by boostedforlife; 06-24-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jairen
Does someone have a dyno overlay of the 2 on the same dyno on the same day?

Also please keep in mind of the REVUP's higher redline (7000 rpm) and fuel cut (7400 rpm). That just means the REVUP has the ablility to land shifts higher in the rev range. Better high end + higher redline and fuel cut will naturally land you higher in the rev range. The power drop off is slightly less significant in the REVUP. As for HP, there is a very significant jump in HP in only 500 rpm's. Look at the difference from 5000-5500 RPM's in the chart below. Its almost a 20hp difference and is around the area where shifts will land.

The figure posted isn't really valid because it's comparing two Revups, one with the MREV and one without (spacer only). As we know, a spacer on Revup without the MREV actually makes less power than stock. With the MREV, the Revup gets a robust boost in midrange power, but it's topend breathing is neutered, negating it's "Revup" nature. A Revup with the MREV has the powerband of the non-Revup motor (ie power begins to drop at 6200rpms). A Revup with the MREV and a non-Revup with a spacer are going to be pretty dang close on the dyno with about a 5whp advantage going to the Revup. I believe the power gain is thanks to the variable exhaust cam timing.

BTW, I thought the Revup limiter was set at 7100rpms (speedometer could show 7400rpms).

Old 06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
The figure posted isn't really valid because it's comparing two Revups, one with the MREV and one without (spacer only). As we know, a spacer on Revup without the MREV actually makes less power than stock. With the MREV, the Revup gets a robust boost in midrange power, but it's topend breathing is neutered, negating it's "Revup" nature. A Revup with the MREV has the powerband of the non-Revup motor (ie power begins to drop at 6200rpms). A Revup with the MREV and a non-Revup with a spacer are going to be pretty dang close on the dyno with about a 5whp advantage going to the Revup. I believe the power gain is thanks to the variable exhaust cam timing.

BTW, I thought the Revup limiter was set at 7100rpms (speedometer could show 7400rpms).

The reason why I posted the dyno is NOT to show the difference between the MREV2 but to show where the shifts land in each gear. If you look at the bottom of the chart, you'll see it.

Like I said in my previous post, if you look at the higher redline and higher rev limiter of the REVUP, even with the power drop off, the shifts will still land higher in the powerband. If you look at the difference in HP from 5000-5500 RPM's, which is the meat of the accelereation band, there is almost a 20WHP difference.

Correction, the fuel cut is at 7200 RPM's vice 7400 that I posted above.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
is that chart right? I dont think my car drops to 4300 when I shift at redline from 1st to second.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:58 PM
The reason why I posted the dyno is NOT to show the difference between the MREV2 but to show where the shifts land in each gear. If you look at the bottom of the chart, you'll see it.

Like I said in my previous post, if you look at the higher redline and higher rev limiter of the REVUP, even with the power drop off, the shifts will still land higher in the powerband. If you look at the difference in HP from 5000-5500 RPM's, which is the meat of the accelereation band, there is almost a 20WHP difference.

Correction, the fuel cut is at 7200 RPM's vice 7400 that I posted above.

I'd have to do some calculations to verify. Obviously we're now comparing modded Revups vs modded non-Revups. If there is an advantage to holding revs a bit higher in the higher gears, that can be easily addressed on the non-Revup with a raised rev limiter. I do agree, shift points are critical. For most higher revving motors with decent powerbands, it's usually shift at redline until you get to the 3, 4, and 5th gears. That can change a bit, but usually only by a few hundred rpms here and there.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same here. I have my shift light set at 7000 but play with how long I hold 3rd gear before I shift into 4th right before I go through the traps. How long I hold out 3rd gear is what has gained me a good bit of trap speed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: REVUP 6MT vs Non REVUP 6MT Drag Racing *VIDEO*