Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.
View Poll Results: What kind of tranny do you have?
6MT
43.16%
5AT
56.84%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

5AT Vs. 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeZkI
looking at this poll makes me happy, there are more autos than stick =D. not to mention more than 90% of the people that own g35's that arent on this forum another75% drive auto. w00t
Yeah, that's good news cause' the resale value on our 6MT's will hold well.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 PM
I also dont see myself going back to an auto unless its a truck. My Pontiac Ramair is a 6spd and my G35 is 6spd. The way I see it, either the car drives me or I drive the car. My 02 cents.

Last edited by GMeraz99; 01-02-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by htownboy
Yeah, that's good news cause' the resale value on our 6MT's will hold well.
I sure hope so. I've always wondered what my car might be worth if were to sell it now. I'm at a disadvantage being a sedan

Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What's a 5AT?

How do you keep your left foot from falling asleep ???

Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I love my auto... I dont know if I would ever do a manual for a daily driver. Plus this is a luxury car... i rather be able to mess around with my car pc or something that I have yet to put in. Still I dont think these cars are THAT fast, if it was a corvette or something I think I would get a MT. Just my opinion though.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by bassholic
The g35 is a sports car? I just bought it b/c i have an affinity to infiniti and the car looks hot. Now if i could have found a CB with blk interior stick i would have gotten that. However a used CB is difficult to find with what i wanted so the stick had to go.

Oh well, when i get a REAL sports car that deserves a stick then i'll do it. Till then this daily driver g35 is auto. I'll leave shifting to my sportbike
I feel the same way bro....

Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 AM
130 at

Old 01-03-2007, 02:13 AM
lazy a$$
Originally Posted by penelson
How do you keep your left foot from falling asleep ???
Left foot braking.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 AM
i 've owned both auto and manual. Auto is more convenient in city driving... but manual is a little more fun... Good thing auto has manumatic!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by HomieG35
First of all, my auto will take off faster, shift quicker, and never miss. You look into my car and say "Aw, ****. You got an automatic.." and then I chirp all the way through 3rd. From the show room until now I never wish I had a 6MT. My daily driver is a 5spd and I'm glad my sports car is not.

All thanks to SGP Racing valvebody, clutches, torque converter, driveshaft and rearend. Never, under estimate the automatic.

Signature says ''6MT with "everything".'' Ain't got ****...
I didnt want this to turn into a Flame Thread... But it already did.

So I guess it isnt wrong if I just add some fuel

First of all, im only responding to this because I have to defend all the MT drivers out there

Your just using pathethic excuses for not having a 6MT, whether it's because you cant drive one, or you're just too lazy.

I have never seen a [stock] automatic take off faster than an MT; im pretty sure you know that MT's will always get better trap speeds. IF it didnt, then you can blame it on the poor MT driver who doesnt know how to shift.

That feels better

Im definately not bashing you nor an automatic, so dont get me wrong. But an MT will always be sportier than an automatic; thats a given. An yes, triptronic/manuatic is still an automatic.

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 01-03-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist

First of all, im only responding to this because I have to defend all the MT drivers out there

Your just using pathethic excuses for not having a 6MT, whether it's because you cant drive one, or you're just too lazy.

I have never seen a [stock] automatic take off faster than an MT; im pretty sure you know that MT's will always get better trap speeds. IF it didnt, then you can blame it on the poor MT driver who doesnt know how to shift.

That feels better

Im definately not bashing you nor an automatic, so dont get me wrong. But an MT will always be sportier than an automatic; thats a given. An yes, triptronic/manuatic is still an automatic.

I 2nd that!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I would not have bought the car if it had only come as a stab and steer. For me, auto has always been "lux" and stick "sport". What really cracks me up is this is the first car i've owned where the stick cost more than the auto. In the past, auto was an option that cost ya a few hundred more and the stick was the base model.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned
If I wanted a true Nissan sports car in stick, I would have got a Z...Now that in auto is a waste!

Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist

That feels better

I must say that this is a subjective argument. Actually there are a few cars and have been a few in the past in which the auto was faster than the MT. And in the G you are talking about a small margin between the two which I would image will become even smaller if not non-existent in the next generation G (It is rumored that it will have launch control but that maybe salesman mumbo-jumbo). And with the other poster's listed mods, his AT would have an advantage over an MT in a drag race. On a track, the tiptronic doesn't shift as fast as you can in the MT and thus it takes more driver anticipation in the AT to get similar results as you would in the MT when shifting through gears.
In daily driving, it is all about "perspective" and preference which again is all subjective. From your perspective the MT is sportier. From others perspective the AT is just as sporty. The bottom line is- so what and who cares! People used to buy MTs because they were much faster. Now that ATs are catching up in this regard, people are changing their tune and buying them because it is "sportier". To me this is often a cop-out because they are afraid of what others will think about them if they drive an AT. People also want to feel "superior" so they flame people who drive ATs. IMO
In many cars I beleive that your argument holds true. IMO you can't lump the G's AT tranny in the same category as all the others out there. Yes it is still an automatic but it brings out the "sport " in the car much more than most automatics out there aside from SMG.
As regards driving feel, if people prefer a clutch and a more direct feel to the tranny, then get the MT. If you prefer not to use a clutch and have an option to allow the car to shift for you at times that you don't want to shift, then get the AT.
I haven't decided what I am going to get in the next generation G. Much of that depends on whether my wife is willing to learn how to drive a stick. The reason why I would get a MT is because I like having a clutch. But whatever the decision, I will be satisfied with what I get and will have a sporty vehicle from my perspective.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT Vs. 6MT