Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.
View Poll Results: What kind of tranny do you have?
6MT
43.16%
5AT
56.84%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

5AT Vs. 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic do cost more for one reason.... Its the transmission. Not because the car is more "luxurious". haha.. Basically, the reason why auto tranny cost more to make then manual tranny is because the auto tranny need to be fitted with all the crap to do the shifting for you, and do it smoothly...

While the manual tranny, all it has are the case, synchro, flywheel, clutch disc and plate....

Auto transmission has all sorts of crap in there and they weigh a shlt load...

Anyways, people with automatic feel like biotches and most of the G owners with automatic have to compensate for the "feeling" don't get by driving a stick by putting stickers on their car, a big azz bumper, quad, not dual mufflers, extra dark limo tints, so people cant see its an automatic... They even shift on neutral on a hill on purpose to "trick" other people into thinking they drive a stick. HAHAHHA.

Oh yeah, lets not forget that they also let of the peddals when driving to "TRY" to make it sound like a stick.

eventually, those 5at driver will trade or sell their ride to get a 6mt...
example: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/132884-anybody-tired-driving-stick.html

haha.

I rarely seen anyone with a 6mt car trading their car for the "exact same car" only automatic... Never.. When they do go for automatic, its usally a different car, and usually a SUV or Truck.

Last edited by cnaman; 01-03-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cnaman
automatic do cost more for one reason.... Its the transmission. Not because the car is more "luxurious". haha.. Basically, the reason why auto tranny cost more to make then manual tranny is because the auto tranny need to be fitted with all the crap to do the shifting for you, and do it smoothly...

While the manual tranny, all it has are the case, synchro, flywheel, clutch disc and plate....

Anyways, people with automatic feel like biotches and most of the G owners with automatic have to compensate for the "feeling" don't get by driving a stick by putting stickers on their car, a big azz bumper, quad, not dual mufflers, extra dark limo tints, so people cant see its an automatic... They even shift on neutral on a hill on purpose to "trick" other people into thinking they drive a stick. HAHAHHA.

Oh yeah, lets not forget that they also let of the peddals when driving to "TRY" to make it sound like a stick.

example: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132884

haha.

I rarely seen anyone with a 6mt car trading their car for the "exact same car" only automatic... Never.. When they do go for automatic, its usally a different car, and usually a SUV or Truck.
WTF

Old 01-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Nope, Desriving all those G drivers who were racing with their automatic and claiming to smoke an M3, Corvette, Nissan Skyline and the speed of light.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I must say that this is a subjective argument. Actually there are a few cars and have been a few in the past in which the auto was faster than the MT. And in the G you are talking about a small margin between the two which I would image will become even smaller if not non-existent in the next generation G (It is rumored that it will have launch control but that maybe salesman mumbo-jumbo). And with the other poster's listed mods, his AT would have an advantage over an MT in a drag race. On a track, the tiptronic doesn't shift as fast as you can in the MT and thus it takes more driver anticipation in the AT to get similar results as you would in the MT when shifting through gears.
In daily driving, it is all about "perspective" and preference which again is all subjective. From your perspective the MT is sportier. From others perspective the AT is just as sporty. The bottom line is- so what and who cares! People used to buy MTs because they were much faster. Now that ATs are catching up in this regard, people are changing their tune and buying them because it is "sportier". To me this is often a cop-out because they are afraid of what others will think about them if they drive an AT. People also want to feel "superior" so they flame people who drive ATs. IMO
In many cars I beleive that your argument holds true. IMO you can't lump the G's AT tranny in the same category as all the others out there. Yes it is still an automatic but it brings out the "sport " in the car much more than most automatics out there aside from SMG.
As regards driving feel, if people prefer a clutch and a more direct feel to the tranny, then get the MT. If you prefer not to use a clutch and have an option to allow the car to shift for you at times that you don't want to shift, then get the AT.
I haven't decided what I am going to get in the next generation G. Much of that depends on whether my wife is willing to learn how to drive a stick. The reason why I would get a MT is because I like having a clutch. But whatever the decision, I will be satisfied with what I get and will have a sporty vehicle from my perspective.
Well said!
To me the MT is just more fun and more efficient, there are no great advantages in speed etc. and the ATs are becoming more efficient, but still fall short (check the MPG ratings etc.)

Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Cnaman your such a f@g, i guess your used to your stupid little ricer enthusiasts that you come on here and make immature statements. Get a freakin life dude and grw the **** up.. nobody here cares what you have to say. And yeah.. if you feel better about yourself because you can drive manual? thats good for you.. because really its no rocket science.. anyone can learn.. so take your pu$$y @$$ comments somewhere else.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
blah, blah, blah! My 6MT is better blah blah, No my 5AT is blah blah better blah blah.
STFU already.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 AM
AT- for lazy *** drivers

I guess I am one

Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
blah, blah, blah! My 6MT is better blah blah, No my 5AT is blah blah better blah blah.
STFU already.
+1

I learned to drive a stick back in 1978. About half the cars I owned have been MT, the other half AT. Both types of transmissions have their own inherent strengths and weaknesses, but in recent years AT's have been closing the gap. Just read the specs on the AT's BMW is using in their cars now like their latest model of their ZF tranny.

MT are great. AT are great. Just drive what ever you like and quit pissing on what others like to drive.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by cnaman

example: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132884

haha.

Ya... every AT I see has sticker on them
Cnaman,

Most of your posts always leave much to be desired. How old are you? I honestly think that your posting on the internet is a way for you to entertain yourself via some alter-ego because I don't think that in real-life anyone could really be that ignorant (I might be wrong here).

Old 01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
about 50-50 so far.....interesting....

Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by avengence
I love my auto... I dont know if I would ever do a manual for a daily driver. Plus this is a luxury car... i rather be able to mess around with my car pc or something that I have yet to put in. Still I dont think these cars are THAT fast, if it was a corvette or something I think I would get a MT. Just my opinion though.
The G is a nice car, but far from luxury. Get real! Just look at the inside of ANY current lexus. Or without going too far just look at the M.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I am surprised by the results of the poll, I expected to see more 5AT since 95% of the cars at my dealer were 5AT.

May be there is a high concentration of 6MT people in this forum.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 PM
I love my AT cant complain tired of driving a stick getting to old and lazy even though im only 18 lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT Vs. 6MT