Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

transmission oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
transmission oil

has anyone seen this link?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/capacities.html

It says there are 2 other transmission oils that are direct replacements for matic-j. Since it is a Nissan dealership do you think we could actually use it?

Old 08-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I won't attempt to tell you what to do - however the way I understand my owners manual anything other than Matic-J voids warranty...

I haven’t found a reason to challenge that clear concise part of my warranty agreement.

What exactly are you trying to achieve that would make you consider something other than warranted fluids?…

Old 08-26-2007, 10:51 AM
im just tryin to find something that is easier to obtain but doesnt void the warranty... tryin to find matic-j is a pain... mynismo.com has it but so far thats the only place, the link is from courtesy nissan for the 350z and it says that those two transmission fluid are allowed to be used in place of matic-j. i am going to call them today and see if its true.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Devil's Advocate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the only semi-official looking info I could find on the Castrol. It states that the Transmax J is approved for all Nissan and Suburu automatic vehicles (except those with CVT). Interesting.

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/27...j_b1650_03.pdf

Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 PM
this is off the courestay nissan website:

Automatic
transmission fluid - - - Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent.
Using A/T fluid other than NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent will cause deterioration in driveability and A/T durability, and may damage the A/T, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty. Currently available exact equivalents to NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J are Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by abunai
im just tryin to find something that is easier to obtain but doesnt void the warranty... tryin to find matic-j is a pain... mynismo.com has it but so far thats the only place, the link is from courtesy nissan for the 350z and it says that those two transmission fluid are allowed to be used in place of matic-j. i am going to call them today and see if its true.
your dealer will have it.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 PM
yeah i think im just going to go to west covina nissan tomorrow or tuesday and have them do it... i live in the OC so it sucks driving out there... but i have to get my steel braided brake lines put in at my friends shop in walnut so i guess its ok to make this trip again.... thanks though OCG35

Old 08-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Tranny Fluid.........best price!

Since using anything else other than what Nissan tells you wouldn't be a good
idea and for the best price try Riverside Infiniti......Jason/Tony 1-800-919-8130........Always the best price!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 PM
this is off the courestay nissan website:

Automatic
transmission fluid - - - Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent.
Using A/T fluid other than NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent will cause deterioration in driveability and A/T durability, and may damage the A/T, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty. Currently available exact equivalents to NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J are Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP.
this is from the Infiniti manual... it doesn’t mention "equivalents"…

When checking or replacement is required,
we recommend an INFINITI dealer
for servicing.
CAUTION
O Use only Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF. Do
not mix with other fluids.
O Using automatic transmission fluid
other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF
will cause deterioration in driveability
and automatic transmission durability,
and may damage the automatic transmission,
which is not covered by the
INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty.
The specified automatic transmission
fluid is also described on caution labels
located in the engine compartment.
Check the fluid level in the reservoir.
The fluid level should be checked using
the HOT range (q1 : HOT MAX., q2 : HOT
MIN.) at fluid temperatures of 122 to 176°F
(50 to 80°C) or using the COLD range (q3 :
COLD MAX., q4 : COLD MIN.) at fluid temperatures
of 32 to 86°F (0 to 30°C).
SDI1765A

Old 08-26-2007, 01:41 PM
yeah i think im just going to go to west covina nissan tomorrow or tuesday and have them do it... i live in the OC so it sucks driving out there... but i have to get my steel braided brake lines put in at my friends shop in walnut so i guess its ok to make this trip again.... thanks though OCG35
Tustin, Costa Mesa, or Mission Viejo Infiniti might be closer... West Covina Nissan has great service though - so thats a good choice too.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:44 PM
I'd rather go to West Covina Nissan i know the guys out there and they will do the flush and refill for about 100... Tustin Infiniti tried to charge me 160+ for belts and they did it for about half... same products just better service

Old 08-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Tustin, Costa Mesa, or Mission Viejo Infiniti might be closer... West Covina Nissan has great service though - so thats a good choice too.
I wont ever take my car back to Tustin Infiniti I'm acutally filing a complaint with the BAR Bureau of Automotive Repair against them...

Old 08-26-2007, 01:51 PM
I wont ever take my car back to Tustin Infiniti I'm acutally filing a complaint with the BAR Bureau of Automotive Repair against them...
WOW! What happened?...

Old 08-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Tustin Infiniti sucks... I actually have to take time out of my day to write a letter of complaint because my car was in an accident (someone else was driving it while i was in florida) and sent it to them to check it out and see if there was any mechanical problems... they only found one strut that was obviously messed up (a blind man could have seen it) and they said that was it. Well after i got my car back the VDC light was on Slip light was on and my ABS light was on... not to mention my steering wheel was pointed left when and pulling to the right when i was going straight and if i went faster than 65 i got a strange noise and a wicked vibration from the front end where i suspected there was damage. I sent it to Performance Auto Express in Walnut and they sorted everything out and found that lots of problems which they fixed and West Coast Nissan cleared my steering position sensor problem for me.... Tustin Infiniti didnt even road test my car or they would have seen all the lights and noticed my steering wheel was pointed to the left while going straight. I will never take my car back there and i will be filing a complaint against them to Corporate and the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair).

sorry i copied and pasted from a different thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Tustin Infiniti sucks... I actually have to take time out of my day to write a letter of complaint because my car was in an accident (someone else was driving it while i was in florida) and sent it to them to check it out and see if there was any mechanical problems... they only found one strut that was obviously messed up (a blind man could have seen it) and they said that was it. Well after i got my car back the VDC light was on Slip light was on and my ABS light was on... not to mention my steering wheel was pointed left when and pulling to the right when i was going straight and if i went faster than 65 i got a strange noise and a wicked vibration from the front end where i suspected there was damage. I sent it to Performance Auto Express in Walnut and they sorted everything out and found that lots of problems which they fixed and West Coast Nissan cleared my steering position sensor problem for me.... Tustin Infiniti didnt even road test my car or they would have seen all the lights and noticed my steering wheel was pointed to the left while going straight. I will never take my car back there and i will be filing a complaint against them to Corporate and the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair).

sorry i copied and pasted from a different thread
wow that sux... sorry to you had such trouble - glad your car is fixed now... Tustin isn't quite as good as it use to be, but I've never had that type of experience - I don’t blame you for being pissed!

WC Nissan is a good alterative (as you have found)... their service mgr (Frank) and service writer (Heri) were formerly Tustin - they go out of their way to take care of customers...

Hope the car is now the way it should be and is problem free.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: transmission oil