Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Automatic Transmission flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GJ Hazlett
WOW...really? Not doubting you but how do you know and why not? What do they use to filter out the gunk?
no external filters that are serviceable. only a pickup screen located under the pan next to the valve bodies

Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by erklep
no tranny filters on our cars
Yes, we do have a sort of filter. Trust me, I saw every step of my tranny build and we replaced the filter. It was covered in clutch material.

It is right below the brake band in that picture. It attaches right to the valve body. Now, the average G35 probably doesn't need that replaced, but my valve body was messed up and I had clutch material everywhere. When we took it off it was filthy.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Canadian
Yes, we do have a sort of filter. Trust me, I saw every step of my tranny build and we replaced the filter. It was covered in clutch material.

It is right below the brake band in that picture. It attaches right to the valve body. Now, the average G35 probably doesn't need that replaced, but my valve body was messed up and I had clutch material everywhere. When we took it off it was filthy.

(see above post)

Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok..that makes sense and cleared it up for me..I am used to working on domestic cars that have tranny filters...thanks!

Is that what comes in the Transgo kit?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Canada, eh?

Ok..that makes sense and cleared it up for me..I am used to working on domestic cars that have tranny filters...thanks!

Is that what comes in the Transgo kit?
No, what I posted has nothing to do with the Transgo kit. That is from a overhaul kit for our transmission.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
So... where could i buy JUST the Filter?

local auto parts dont carry them..

also.. where could i purchase a transgo kit?

or should i just replace my whole VB with the STillen KIT?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by bluevelvet
So... where could i buy JUST the Filter?

local auto parts dont carry them..

also.. where could i purchase a transgo kit?

or should i just replace my whole VB with the STillen KIT?
-local infiniti dealer.

-google it.

-the stillen vb kit is junk.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Canadian!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
A flush isn't necessary. The Nissan and Infiniti dealers in Kansas City don't do flushes with machines any more because the word from Nissan is it causes more problems. Additionally, all these shops say they simply drain the tranny every 30K miles even though Nissan really doesn't require a change until 60 or 70K miles.

A tranny fluid change will get you 3.1 QTs (measured myself). I didn't change my fluid until 60K miles. I bought 9 QTs of J-matic. Drained the tranny. Drove for 100 miles. Drained the tranny. Drove for another 100 miles. Drained the tranny. On every change, the fluid got pinker. Even after 60K miles and some decently hard driving on occasion, my G's fluid looked pretty good. I plan on draining the tranny every 30K miles and replacing with 3.1 QTs.

Note* If your G is shifting odd, replacing the fluid isn't going to fix the problem. There's something else going on.
I agree with those dealers in your area. The dealer closest to me wants to do a flush with a machine. No thanks. I'm going to do a drain re-fill, just like you did. It's basically the same way Honda recommends the ATF gets "flushed" from their AT's. However, they just do it all in 1 day, drain, add, drive for 5 minutes, drain, add, drive for 5 minutes, and drain, add. This basically makes the makeup of the Honda ATF at roughly 80+% new fluid.

Originally Posted by IvoryPearl07G
thanks for the info geronimo. i will do this in the near future.
If you're not sure or uncomfortable with doing the ATF per the shop manual, do it the "Honda way" as outlined above.. It's probably easier since you don't have to disconnect anything.. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joker, does this tranny flush technique go for every car whether AT/MT?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Solekeeper
Joker, does this tranny flush technique go for every car whether AT/MT?
Don't believe there is anything to "flush" on a manual trans. It's just gear oil, if I'm not mistaken so it's just a matter of draining and refilling the transmission case.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Canada, eh?

Thanks Canadian!
No problem man. All the parts (besides my valve body) were bought through Trans Parts in Fresno, CA. Their number is (559) 237-4463‎, and if you have any questions or want to order anything they carry it all. Mike from there helped me.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought a single drain and fill was good for 30k. Does the honda method allow for longer intervals?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by TheTick
I thought a single drain and fill was good for 30k. Does the honda method allow for longer intervals?
It should be okay, depending on your driving style/conditions and what additives were in the ATF at the beginning.. In my 96 Accord, I vaguely remember Honda recommended a drain/refill (about 3 qts) every 24 months after the first 3 years. In our 06 Ody they say follow the MID unless you tow or drive in mountainous area's, at which point they recommend changing it every 30K miles.

If a 1x drain/refill is done, probably just enough new ATF is put back into the system to keep it going until the next drain/refill.

The Honda method of doing a drain/refill 3 times, you're basically replacing about 80% of the ATF, so most of the ATF in your AT is new fluid.. Note that in the 07 FSM Infiniti says to inspect every year or 15K miles and replace as necessary. If you're fanatical about the car, you may want to just do a 1x drain/refill once a year..

Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody used the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF its about $4.44 a QT i emailed Castrol today & this is the responce. What do you think its not worth saving $6.00 a Qt if it is going to screw up the Trans...

Thank you for contacting Castrol,

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF may be used in a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan AT as it meets all performance specifications, however if your application is still under Warranty Nissan will not cover it.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Thank You for Contacting Castrol North America,

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF meets performance specifications for your application but has not been approved by the original engine manufacturer.

Castrol Consumer Relations.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission flush