Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

3.9 final drives....350evo.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear GurgenPB

I am interesting to replace the final driver to 3.538 for my 5AT saden.

May I ask you that have you fix the cruise control problem or your cruise control still not work now?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,

David Chen

Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by davidchen
Dear GurgenPB

I am interesting to replace the final driver to 3.538 for my 5AT saden.

May I ask you that have you fix the cruise control problem or your cruise control still not work now?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,

David Chen

2 weeks since my upgrade to a 3.5 ratio from the stock 5AT.

2 week later impression ? Love the LSD upgrade ! It's ALOT more fun to drive in the corners and WAY easier to kick the back end out ! Plus seeing two stripes instead of one doesn't hurt either !
As far as picking up performance/acceleration ? Mmmmmm, not anything to brag about if it's even noticable. No difference (maybe 50 rpm's at best) in 50, 70 and 80 mph rpm's and gas consumption is in line with where it was prior to the change. Got to say I was expecting something more noticable. I haven't done any 1/8, 1/4 runs but I doubt I would see any significant difference.
I gave thought to the 3.9's but had decided against it. I remember reading that it was too much of a change ( serious loss of drivetrain smoothness) for the 5AT in particular. That daily drivers would lose the poshness of the stock gearing ride and this mod would be better suited to a driver that was more interested in performance/tracking as a main objective. I disagree based on the changes I've made. I can't imagine THAT big of a difference to the point of it becoming an intolerable daily driver. Yes you'll notice a difference especially if your going from stock to the 3.9 but I doubt it's as severe as mentioned in other posts. Imo if your considering this mod GO FOR IT ! If your driving with a non LSD, get the whole package.You'll love the difference!

For me I may look into the 3.9 but for now the $ to performance gain may be too great at this point. Live and learn.

Gurgen, Please advise to your CC issues/resolutions as now I have the same problem since the switch. I planned on making a service appointment but procrastination has set in.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey Guys

YEs I do still have the issue... and here is how it creeps up. If you keep your RPM at under 3500 or so, may be less, cruise control will still work properly. Once you go over a given RPMS, using CC's accel function or otherwise, the CC will jsut give out, the cruise light will remain on, but the set (or ON, don't remember) will blink rapidly.. and you lose all cc functionality. The feature resumes working after an engine shutdown/restart...but not before that.

I am afraid that there is NO way that this can be fixed (at the dealer or otherwise). The velocity measurement is taken at the wheels, and the ECU is expecting a certain ratio of velocity and rpm in a given gear, and when it doesn't get it, it 'flips', with the CC not working being one of the manifestations of that.

As soon as and IF there is a usable LSD that comes out for the 3.35x ratio, I will be switchign it back, mostly because with the power that I have (or WILL have), it'd best to have shorter gears, with the CC coming back as a bonus.

I actually do NOT mind the CC that much, but it would be nice to have it back.

G

BTW...

Old 03-25-2005, 02:48 AM
Dear GurgenPB

Thank you for your reply soon

David Chen

Old 03-25-2005, 11:44 PM
No problem