Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

What trannys can fit in my 03 coupe?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What trannys can fit in my 03 coupe?!

my tranny is nice and fu**ed up from my previous problems with it. I replaced the clutch/flywheel/clutchline/pivotball/throwout bearing cause of my car failing on the road because of a broken pivotball. I had to hard shift my car for a couple hours grinding gears and i think thats my problem....since i did that i fixed the main problem but now i dont have a 3rd gear and my 4th is starting to give out. At first i thought it was my new short shifter but it wasnt cuz i put the OEM shifter back in and no difference. So now im thinking about getting a new transmission because i cant rebuild a tranny due to lack of experience and tools. So im looking into what year g35 trannys will fit in my 03 g35 coupe 6mt. Im thinking i can go up to 06 because after that year the slave cylinder is inside the tranny instead of outside. So i was wondering if anyone knows or has done a tranny swap with a different year tranny with the wireing harness and starter and bolt pattern the same. Maybe keep the bellhousing on my old tranny and put it on the new one if it all fits together to keep the same bolt pattern. All suggestions are appreciated and helpful..... :/

Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
any tranny under 6'5" should fit but then again idk why you would want a tranny in your car

Old 06-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
before you replace the transmission i would make sure the gate is aligned properly, if it is you can go up to 07..they didn't put the slave cylinder inside the trans until the g37. its on the 07 sedans but not until 08 on the coupe...the gate is the part w/the 3 10mm bolts that holds the shifter in place. if it is out of alignment it will cause all kinds of weird stuff to happen

Old 07-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ekselente
before you replace the transmission i would make sure the gate is aligned properly, if it is you can go up to 07..they didn't put the slave cylinder inside the trans until the g37. its on the 07 sedans but not until 08 on the coupe...the gate is the part w/the 3 10mm bolts that holds the shifter in place. if it is out of alignment it will cause all kinds of weird stuff to happen
Of all things i havent even checked that.....i hope that is what it is becuase when i was finishing up putting the tranny/exhaust/driveshaft ect. back in i was in a rush and the last thing i did was put the shifter back on after i bled the clutch....the place was about to close and i was in a hurry Ill make sure to check it out.Thanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any 6mt g35 trans 03-07 should fit. the slave cylinder did not go to inside the bellhousing until the 07 sedal, and then followed on the 37, and the wiring should be the same.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 AM
well to b honest i dont think any other tranny will fit in it because not only does the 03 have a longer pivot ball (all other years have a short pivotball but can b switched out) i believe as the years go up the bolt patterns for the bellhousing to the block are different to my knowledge and i dont know bout other things that could b different.im going off of the hanes manual for the g35.look it up.thx though.i got it under control.this thread is done unless there is new info i havent stated already then let me know.thx.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
i think you can swap an 04 tran no problem

03/04 would be the same...05/06 had the rev-up. I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same on the bell housing.

The bell housing bolt patterns SHOULD all be the same though. They are the same basic engine with a few internal differences.

You should do a little searcing on my350Z.com. They seem to have more expertise in the way of swapping things out. Some of those guys go crazy.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:13 PM
well i found out the reason the pivot ball on the longer on the 03 than all the other transmissions is because of the clutch arm. the clutch arm is lighter and different than the rest of the clutch arms. so i just got the CD0009 transmission which is the best transmission we can put in our G's and im just waiting on my amsoil transmission fluid to be delivered and ill be good.any other questions let me know.oh and by the way if you plan on dropping your transmission yourself and putting it back on yourself i highly suggest you align the gate the way you are supposed to because if you dont you will be buying a new transmission if you arent careful.