Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

5at gotta have a SprintBooster!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I have a great idea...why don't you buy one to try. 30 day guarantee. It's easy to install and remove. Put it on your credit card, no cash changes hands. Then you can give it an actual review. We could go on forever with these hypotheticals....but I have one installed. The only problem I have is keeping my foot out of throttle because it's just so much fun. If there is anybody else that has a sprintbooster installed please chime in. It appears that I don't know what I'm talking about. I have been driving fo 46 years...maybe it's dementia!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ no offense (seriously), but the vast majority of reviews (as minimal as they have been) and promoting - are from new members or member such as yourself with minimal post count... the rest have been anonymous quotes posted by vendor/manufacturer.

Trust me, I realize your position... I go through the same exact struggle when discussing TBS (ppl dismiss before trying)... the difference is that veteran forum members that are known and (mostly) respected use it.

I think until you get someone (or several) that people will actually trust (because they are familiar with them) - continuing to say "it worked for me, try it" will just bring more debate and skepticism.

Just my .02 cents

Old 10-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I understand what your saying but you can't start with 500 posts. I was only trying to help 5at users that were experiencing similiar problems to mine. I purchased my g35 in December of 2002 which gives me almost 8 years of ownership. But I'll shut up and leave the posting to the veteran, respected members. Last post from me...Bye

Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ I wasn't devaluing your opinion (I even prefaced it by stating "no offense" - I was seriously trying not to offend you)...

I think in general, people would be more receptive with reviews from members they are familiar with - that's all... less reason for skepticism that way.

Don't let my opinion discourage you from posting though... its nothing against you as a person (since I obviously don't know you).

If Sprint Booster was smart and truly believed in their product, they should have had beta-testers that people would be less skeptical about... you cant just develop a gizmo, say very little about what it is, how it works and what it does (which is exactly what happened when this thing first came out), then post anonomous reviews and reviews from people no one knows - then expect everyone to jump on board.

This doesn't mean your review isn't worthy... it means, I feel it would have a lot more impact if there were others as I suggested.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:25 PM
No problem...you truly didn't offend me. I own a car I really enjoy driving and don't plan on selling it anytime soon. Quite frankly this forum has become a used car pricing, which mods first, which body kit, how low can I go club...time for me to move on.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
I have a great idea...why don't you buy one to try. 30 day guarantee. It's easy to install and remove. Put it on your credit card, no cash changes hands. Then you can give it an actual review. We could go on forever with these hypotheticals....but I have one installed. The only problem I have is keeping my foot out of throttle because it's just so much fun. If there is anybody else that has a sprintbooster installed please chime in. It appears that I don't know what I'm talking about. I have been driving fo 46 years...maybe it's dementia!!!
The biggest problems I have is with the posted claims and then the posted statements that are contradictory. Ones first that state you will get this better reponse and so on and then another that state it is purely feel, all on the same website.

It is basically a matter of feel (which again the site actually does state) as long as the device works the same going from 0-100% as it does going 100%-0. This appears to be the case from other measured reviews including outputs on other vehicles.

If the device lets say had a customizable curve set in both directions I could see some advantage that may warrant a percentage of its price.

Again if it doesn't have a dual channel fail fallback mode would you really want this particular device on the track or street? After all one of the claims is enhanced safety.

The device appears to be a simple op amp, one that contains no mapping features which means that the box it comes in may cost more than the components contained within.

For three bills it should be easy to provide one with programmable curves. One of those should be rate of change at release. If I get off of the throttle quickly I don't want a lag in that direction regardless of price.

You know that for the most part this could be done mechanically by simply increasing the angle of the pedal.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
All I know is the 3rd gen Acura TL 5AT clan reports the same exact findings. Quicker shifts and response. I can't figure it out either regarding the shifting, but most every owner loves this mod.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Just wish we could have more people who have tried it out.

Curious about it but not for $300. I got a lot better shift performance with the grounding wires, so this would have to be MUCH better or else just invest in a valve body upgrade.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
There's only one graph listed. It shows the pedal curve altered. I'd assume it would be the same curve when you let off the gas. I also assume most aren't as concerned when they let off the pedal as when they are pressing it down.
Not sure about the safety issues or failsafe.

From what I read the Blitz unit is programmable.

$300 is too much for this device and I wouldn't get one for that price. But it might be worth it for the auto user if the altered curves also alter one of the many inputs the tcm uses to determine shift points. Probably more of an unintended effect perhaps. But if the TCM says "if this, this and this (one of them being a x point on the throttle plate opening curve), then this device could in theory alter when the tcm says to shift up or down. ie.. a kick down point when cruising and then pressing the gas pedal to pass etc.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
There's only one graph listed. It shows the pedal curve altered. I'd assume it would be the same curve when you let off the gas. I also assume most aren't as concerned when they let off the pedal as when they are pressing it down.

$300 is too much for this device and I wouldn't get one for that price. But it might be worth it for the auto user if the altered curves also alter one of the many inputs the tcm uses to determine shift points. Probably more of an unintended effect perhaps. But if the TCM says "if this, this and this (one of them being a x point on the throttle plate opening curve), then this device could in theory alter when the tcm says to shift up or down. ie.. a kick down point when cruising and then pressing the gas pedal to pass etc.
The issue of kickdown was presented for some cars that utilize a kickdown switch. In those cases then if kickdown was suppose to take place lets say at 60% throttle then kickdown would be taking place at a higher throttle position, reported to be maybe 1.3 times the stock value. From what I have been reading elsewhere it really doesn't alter the curve itself, only changes the value present. That is that the 1.3 times applies to the entire curve. On Infinitis I think kickdown is based on various sensors including the throttle position signal which would now come from the Sprint Booster. Some test on other cars show that you can push the pedal to the floor in about .2 seconds so that would equate to maybe a .05 second benefit (difference between a 100% stock throttle equalling a 75% Sprint enabled throttle) but without anything special in the way of mapping this would be in both directions.

I believe most should be concerned with both ends of the curves. Throttle response is more than just a one way street. If anything I would want my response to occur faster in the off direction or at least have rate of change sensed to modify that curve.

Effectively it appears that basically you have the stock curve but it is spread over about 3/4 of pedal movement instead of closer to 100% (actually heard closer to 90%). This would be almost the same effect on a mechanical linkage of changing between the various holes present on some systems. On these however the kickdown was often affected by throttle rod movement separate to the carburator or throttle body.

You should be able to get a similar effect with simply changing the angle of the pedal. By doing so you would be pushing lower on the pedal which would change its curve (as felt by the driver).

What really would be a device (and maybe the other one mention has this feature is the rate of change. That is if you push slowly you have basically the factory setting. If you press quicker then you run up on a modified curve. But still except in timed events like a drag the .05 second difference would not mean much to most.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

Here is a picture description of what these seem to typically do:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5673/swenf.gif

Here is a description of what a Buddy Club does, notice it states 'perceived effect of throttle lag':
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part..._Booster/16326

In the case of the Blitz the reverse cancel feature would look like something that should exist so you don't take out the cars behind you. Both of these others seem to be in the $350 price range from various sources. From what I see none of these will affect a automatic transmission without a kickdown switch other than that which is perceived.

The one beneficial feature I see with these others is the programmed curves for an economy mode.

I am looking at the FSM for the 07 Sedans. Based on this it will only affect the feel of the throttle. The ECM takes inputs for throttle position and accelerator pedal position and uses this to control the injectors. The TCM takes input from the accelerator pedal position but doesn't seem to directly take input from the throttle for anything other than the extremes. For WOT it uses the WOT sensor for its fail safe and diagnostic functions. For Closed throttle it uses the CT sensor for vehicle speed control, shift control, and lockup control.

From the descriptions of these units they don't seem to change the way the ECM sees the throttle position, only the accelerator pedal position. This then seems to support the idea that it ends up being a change in feel with the only performance benefit being the difference in time from the physical movement of the pedal. What takes you 1.3 units of time as far as physical pedal movement stock now takes 1 unit of time. I do like the idea that you can turn the Blitz off (defaults to that state) and automatically cancel it for reverse (optional cable). This would seem to be the unit to get to allow the stock sensitive throttle issue to continue and add in a non sensitive throttle mode. It also is prettier.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
I have the Blitz and I love it. I was going to get the sprint booster, but i didn't like the idea that you couldn't turn it off.

I have the reverse cancel also which you have to buy seperately. I don't know if the shifts are faster since I have a transgo vb upgrade.

The partial throttle response is a alot faster. I'll make a video to show this the car jumps when it's on SP3 (most aggressive) when you barely touch the gas.

If you are driving 60 on the hwy and turn it on you can feel the car pull more while your foot is in the same position then slow down when you turn it off.

I let another member GJhazlet take my car for a spin with it and he liked it. Now he has the transgo kit and is thinking about the blitz controller.

Mike you already have this feature with osiris with the uprev tuned throttle control.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
I have the Blitz and I love it. I was going to get the sprint booster, but i didn't like the idea that you couldn't turn it off.

I have the reverse cancel also which you have to buy seperately. I don't know if the shifts are faster since I have a transgo vb upgrade.

The partial throttle response is a alot faster. I'll make a video to show this the car jumps when it's on SP3 (most aggressive) when you barely touch the gas.

If you are driving 60 on the hwy and turn it on you can feel the car pull more while your foot is in the same position then slow down when you turn it off.

I let another member GJhazlet take my car for a spin with it and he liked it. Now he has the transgo kit and is thinking about the blitz controller.

Mike you already have this feature with osiris with the uprev tuned throttle control.
The fact is I may actually like the idea of being able to change your throttle curve. It will not as I see how it is connected however change the actual response time beyound the mechanical movement of the pedal. Sort of simplified since I know it is not linear but if 0-100% pedal movement takes place in .2 seconds and you end up with 0-75% giving the same result then it would take .15 seconds, a savings in response time of .05 seconds. These numbers were given from test on Mercedes pedal movements so would be different on the Infiniti. In fact will add a little bit of lag electronically, but probably very minimal with a greater amount of lag being the ECM which has to do more processing (14 inputs from 15 sources for injectors alone), before telling the injectors what to do. Now with the ECM being the real bottleneck then it looks like a unit could be designed to operate faster then the stock ECM reducing the lag as well.

A unit could maybe play with things a little bit by looking and modifying the throttle position sensor outputs along with the accelerator pedal but none of these units seem to do that.

On some cars it was noted in various posts I have read that the accelerator pedal may not put out a 100% signal at 100% position but that a throttle controller can and the engine control units were able to use it. Based on my observations of the throttle position this doesn't seem to be the case with my 'G' at least.

Still being able to modify the curves sounds interesting especially for economy purposes.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you need honest G user review, get mine. i had it installed 5 months ago and i am so happy even i first thought its too expensive. response time is better definitely big difference., check canadian section and look for sprintbooster !! lot of reviews

Old 11-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by pfarmer
The fact is I may actually like the idea of being able to change your throttle curve. It will not as I see how it is connected however change the actual response time beyound the mechanical movement of the pedal. Sort of simplified since I know it is not linear but if 0-100% pedal movement takes place in .2 seconds and you end up with 0-75% giving the same result then it would take .15 seconds, a savings in response time of .05 seconds. These numbers were given from test on Mercedes pedal movements so would be different on the Infiniti. In fact will add a little bit of lag electronically, but probably very minimal with a greater amount of lag being the ECM which has to do more processing (14 inputs from 15 sources for injectors alone), before telling the injectors what to do. Now with the ECM being the real bottleneck then it looks like a unit could be designed to operate faster then the stock ECM reducing the lag as well.

A unit could maybe play with things a little bit by looking and modifying the throttle position sensor outputs along with the accelerator pedal but none of these units seem to do that.

On some cars it was noted in various posts I have read that the accelerator pedal may not put out a 100% signal at 100% position but that a throttle controller can and the engine control units were able to use it. Based on my observations of the throttle position this doesn't seem to be the case with my 'G' at least.

Still being able to modify the curves sounds interesting especially for economy purposes.
I have read on here that the throttle will only open to 80-90% in a stock car. I was wondering if it can correct that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5at gotta have a SprintBooster!